-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've posted about the little Sow-whitt Owl that moved in above one of my sets and kept me company checking traps this winter....
Well....I'm hoping he/she sticks around so I found some drawings on-line and built a couple of boxes in hopes that I'll get a chance to see some youngsters this spring....
I used a couple of cheap cedar fence boards and some old used hinges so they're crude but I don't think the Owl community has CC&R's....
If I get some takers I'll put up a couple more next year....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cool, keep us posted on tenants!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good.

I hung a couple of Wood duck houses about 30' high in trees and Screech Owls took up residence.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I've posted about the little Sow-whitt Owl that moved in above one of my sets and kept me company checking traps this winter....
Well....I'm hoping he/she sticks around so I found some drawings on-line and built a couple of boxes in hopes that I'll get a chance to see some youngsters this spring....
I used a couple of cheap cedar fence boards and some old used hinges so they're crude but I don't think the Owl community has CC&R's....
If I get some takers I'll put up a couple more next year....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, between the owl boxes and the pics of the vegies I'm gonna have to try harder to make a trip "upriver this year. Assuming I ever get back to work. A few health issues and the medical system is draggin feet as usual.

on a good note, wife has an interview for job in Orofino on the 24th. That would put us way closer together and she'll be away from large metro areas.

Nice job on the boxes. The owls (or someone else) will love them.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice Charlie!

I hope an owl or two takes up residence.

On a side note, do you have many bluebirds around your place?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an impact driver like that. It was my first. I bought it in 1996 in Dayton, OH.

Nice boxes. Owls are cool. It must have been nice having him watch over you.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Very nice Charlie!

I hope an owl or two takes up residence.

On a side note, do you have many bluebirds around your place?

I see one every now and then but they're pretty scarce...
I put out a couple of new feeders the other day so maybe they'll attract a few...we'll see...

Originally Posted by kingston
Nice boxes. Owls are cool. It must have been nice having him watch over you.

Yea....it beats checking empty traps....I actually started looking forward to seeing the little guy every day though...his little hidey hole was only four or five feet from the trap site and he was very tolerant of me being there....definitely a cool little dude...
I'm pretty confident I could have caught him with a fishing net if I had a mind to....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 03/04/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool deal FG. Looks like a fine lil owl hut.

Hope you get some tenants.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very, very sweet Fieldgrade.

I built a 15 hole purple martin house once.

I got bees and sparrows.

Hope ya catch yaself an owl.

Pics if ya do!

Last edited by WillARights; 03/04/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those look great. I like the roosting perches you put on there.
Careful tho,... you get to many and you will may have to start dealing with the HOA.... The (Hoot Owl Association)ha

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Those look great. I like the roosting perches you put on there.

Wish I could say they were my idea but it was on the web site....they screwed small branches to the sides....the branches looked cooler but I was lazy and just ripped some scraps....hope the Owls don't report my deviation from the original specs to the "HOA".... smile

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I use woodduck boxes for the smaller owls and kestrels. They work well as is but it is a constant battle keeping squirrels out of the boxes. The kestrels are easier, I put the box on a 12' pole in the open and they are good.

The same box but with a hole nearly double in size can work for Barred Owls too. Taking the top off to discourage squirrels doesn't seem to bother the owls. For Great Horned Owls, Redtail Hawks, and other soaring hawks, a 3' square platform made of 2x4s and chicken wire placed at least 16' high in a tree or pole can attract them. I placed one in the far back of the pasture when a crow nest the redtails and owls took over fell apart. The owls show up late Feb to raise their young and are gone when the Redtail begins in May. The presence of these birds play havoc with the mind as one of my wife's dogs is only 6# but they seem to leave the chickens alone for the most part.

As one with a strong interest in falconry, having these birds around is a thrill to watch.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks UD2...good info.......
I have lots of Raptors around my place....Hawks are my favorite.....I like to watch em flying with a good pair of bino's.....even bought a book to identify em but it not as easy as they say when they're in fligt.....

You ever read any of Steve Bodio's books....On The Edge Of The Wild's a good one.....he's gun writer with quite a history with Falconry.....and whisky ha.....an interesting guy though....well worth the read....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 204guy, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,172
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.