Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone have a dedicated first aid kit they carry in the trailer or on the trail when packing for doctoring horses? Need some ideas on what to put together.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have some vet wrap, Elasticon,gauze, Suture kit, woman's feminine napkin(great blood absorber), Furacin, banamine, Vetricyn, tape, super glue, duct tape,. Some carry a staple kit instead of a suture kit.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I need to put one together for my llamas. They're not as prone to injury as horses since they keep themselves out of trouble better but things still happen. Poisonous plants are the biggest worry. They eat anything.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have some vet wrap, Elasticon,gauze, Suture kit, woman's feminine napkin(great blood absorber), Furacin, banamine, Vetricyn, tape, super glue, duct tape,. Some carry a staple kit instead of a suture kit.

Do you carry all that in a pack or in the trailer?

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Do you carry all that in a pack or in the trailer?

Mostly in the trailer. Since I don't do pack ins any more to hunt, it's all mostly available.

In my saddle bags,I usually have some vet wrap and gauze, plus what I carry in my own small personal fist aid kit.
Truthfully though in many many years,I can't remember using the stuff for the mules, out on the trail. In camp,I have used some salves for galls and banamine and bute for horses that coliced. Bute has been taken off the market now though. A couple tubes of electrolyte isn't bad idea to have in camp either.

Mules don't seem to get hurt or sick like horses do.

When I did pack in,a big first aid kit went with me that covered me and the mules.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

A
A
the new adventure medical kits sporting dog has a bunch of useful stuff.

www.adventuremedicalkits.com

not just for dogs

zia Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
get the spring issue of Elk Hunter magazine, there is an article about horse first-aid kits.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I carry my pistol!

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
I carry my pistol!

Been there, done that. Sometimes they aren't bad enough to waste a bullet on though!

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
along with most of the stuff mentioned above:extra syringes, needles, heave mix, stethoscope, bandage scissors, sterile flush, betadine scrub, guaze pads, some sterile guaze pads, nitrile/latex gloves, band aids, roll of cotton, alcohol pads, ibuprofin & aleve, some clean wash cloths, and a multi-tool

have it in a box in the dressing room of the trailer, i just trail ride so not an extensive in the pack first aid kit but have one pouch of my stoaway saddle bags filled with first aid stuff: coflex, guaze, duct tape, bandaids, some alcohol pads, collapsible hoof pick, and not sure what else of the top of my head, the gerber goes on my belt and cell phone in my pocket

a few things I keep thinking I should do but haven't:
-i have been tempted to leave the first aid kit in plain(ish) sight at the trail head but still don't 100% trust people... want it available in an emergency but also want it there when I get back
-put an ID card in my saddle bag with my info/horse info/contacts
-put a zipper pull/patch on saddle bag compartment with first-aid stuff to make it more identifiable if others need something

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,559
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.