-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Carl and Stix, VERY MUCH for what is arguably the best post on this forum in YEARS. I still don't see where Buckstix did anything wrong. Carl?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmmm, I suddenly have a feeling that Buckstix is an old acquaintance with the initials HWS?

Maker of Buckstix flash hole cleaners, bullpup rifles, and at one time field trail labs?

Am I right?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Buck:
As to the history, follow my suggestions for the Military museum, Scotland Yard, and the Mormon Church to get info on the original owner. Between the three, you should find something on Robertson. The local Mormon church either has, or can direct you to another office that has, a huge computer base of their records. I would bet they have Robertson's name listed and his family. It would take some time as you would have to approximate his age and his location would be the UK--all guess work for 1868 when he bought the rifle. Begin looking in Scotland first, then down in England.

I do remember we spoke of the rifle when you were thinking of buying it but I don't know how you got my email or phone. We discussed the fantastic history of the rifle, some of the caliber, and the non matching hammers, pitted bores (mentioned in my article), restock and poor inletting at the top strap and Deeley latch, refinish, and being muzzle heavy. (I thought all UK rifles were balanced well but I just picked up a .577-500 no2 bpe with very heavy barrels that also balances far ahead of the hinge pin--although it balances just right with the shotgun barrels). Notice the position of the front sling eye in the photo of McNeill and where it is now. If memory serves, it is slightly different in its location.

As to the off face, I'm lost on this one. It was fine when I had it and shot it for targets. I know it went through three dealers and at least one owner who shot it. I don't have any knowledge of it going anywhere else, but it was out of my hands after I deposited it to the dealer in Anchorage. Later, I did speak with the owner in Georgia about reloading for it.

Anyway, look up Robertson and let us know if you find anything. I didn't bother to do this as McNeill owned the rifle as it is. Since it was no longer a 12-bore, I guess my interest was not stimulated to look further.
Cal

Last edited by Cal_Pappas; 03/01/16.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cal_Pappas
"... Buck:
As to the history, follow my suggestions for the Military museum, Scotland Yard, and the Mormon Church to get info on the original owner...."

Yes, I've been researching Robertson, but with no luck to date. I'll be sure to let you know if I find something in the future.

"....I do remember we spoke of the rifle when you were thinking of buying it but I don't know how you got my email or phone...."

Just to make sure my memory wasn't slipping, I checked the date of my first email to you on Sept. 21, 2013. It referenced our initial phone conversation on that same day. I also checked the date of my check and the date of my mailing label when I paid Mr. Drake for the rifle. It appears my memory is in tact; we spoke "after" I received the rifle, not before. Not that it matters, but I can email you photocopies of both if it would serve to freshen your memory.

I got your name from the paperwork that was included with the rifle when I received it. I emailed you requesting your phone number.

As to the off face, I'm lost on this one. It was fine when I had it and shot it for targets. I know it went through three dealers and at least one owner who shot it. I don't have any knowledge of it going anywhere else, but it was out of my hands after I deposited it to the dealer in Anchorage. Later, I did speak with the owner in Georgia about reloading for it.

Sure, I understand.

Cal

In closing, please forgive me in advance, if I fail to mention your name the next time I want to tell someone the story about my favorite rifle.

Buck

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Hmmmmm, I suddenly have a feeling that Buckstix is an old acquaintance with the initials HWS?

Maker of Buckstix flash hole cleaners, bullpup rifles, and at one time field trail labs?

Am I right?

Buck?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Am I right?

Hello hatari,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, Hmmmmm, ... HWS ?.... perhaps, who are you? I dont know a lot of people from Atlanta.......anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny who you might run into at the Campfire.

PM sent wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Confirmed that Buckstix is the guy I know.

He's been a gun nut, and an entertaining writer in his past lives. Used to have stories in Gun Digest. He is a good addition around here. I hope he posts more good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinDoc please advise yer Pard about the "suck levels" of envy 'cuz I have to say that he Ludicrous Sucks!!! grin

Ah Hell, I'll do it so he duzn't get offended grin

Standard envy-you suck
much higher envy-officially suck
mind blowing envy-turbo suck
absolute blinding envy,highest level-Ludicrous suck

Last edited by EvilTwin; 03/03/16.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that falls into the Ludicrous Sux category. I couldn't get much greener oogling that rifle and story.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello hatari,

Thanks for the reply.

Its nice to hook-up with you again after all these years.

Please check out my many web pages giving the History of two World Famous Wisconsin Gunsmiths, and several of their rifles that are in my collection / study.

http://yostaction.com/vanadestine.html

http://yostaction.com/yosthistory.html

Here is my web page telling how I hunt Wisconsin whitetail deer with a cannon. - a real cannon - and how I went about building it, in memory of a "Medal of Honor" soldier.

http://buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

This is a "how to" page telling how to hunt feral cats - with a Mortar. Peta hates this web page.

http://buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

And here is the info about one of my books. It tells the story of a Famous Wisconsin Custom Knifemaker.

http://yostaction.com/vanadestine.html

enjoy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh hell, all you had to say was the mortar/cat guy.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello 280shooter,

Thanks for the reply.

So, you have seen my Mortar/Cat page? I'm closing-in on a million hits on my Howitzer Hunt page.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool .577 Buckstix!

Just read your howitzer deer, and mortar cat stories, and damned near pizzed my pants! Hilarious stuff. Nice job!!!

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello akjeff.

Thanks for the reply.

I had some fun with those web sites, but at a cost. I've had the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Game Wardens visit me twice about hunting with a cannon, and I've had the Wisconsin State Attorney General weigh in on a Public Petition to the Governor, to close down my Cat Hunt page because of animal cruelty. Seems like the "stick-in-the-butt" Government officials in this State, don't have a sense of humor.

Not to mention Hate Mail from PETA.

I've even gotton Hate Mail from the "Spider Lovers of America" about my Camel Spider webb page. (another page, just short of a million hits)

http://buckstix.com/camelspider.htm

Oh well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd seen the howitzer deer hunt web page years ago, but had never seen the feral cat hunting with a mortar. The mortar page is hilarious.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello 458 Lott.

Thanks for the reply.

That's the page that had the Cops stop by my house. Apparently the California PETA people contacted them.

The Cops wanted me to prove that all the cats was unharmed. I just laughed and asked if I could take their pictures for my web page. That started a whole new level of discussion.

I explained; "Life is a sense of Humor test - in the end we find out if we passed or failed."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I told Buckstix, he should write more. He has a wicked sense of humor that fits in well aroundhere.

If you haven't read the links to the Canon and Mortar satire, you should for a good laugh.

I am sure the PETA people had virgin birth over the feral cat story!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello hatari,

Thanks for the reply.

I enjoy all the feedback from my web pages, both good and bad.

My favorite page is the Camel Spider page. I never knew I could get do much "hate mail" from spider lovers.

Take a look at some of the stories submitted by my readers.

http://www.buckstix.com/camel%20spider%20stories.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello 280shooter,

Thanks for the reply.

So, you have seen my Mortar/Cat page? I'm closing-in on a million hits on my Howitzer Hunt page.

I'm probably 25-30 of those hits and have sent many that way. Great stuff.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.