Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some of the folks I rub elbows with grumble about "American" camp owners.
Mostly the game laws they successfully lobby for.

The new laws put money in the camps pocket, but restrict access, and game to locals.

Any thoughts?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They don't restrict me so I don't care too much as far as access is concerned. Guide/outfitter ideas of game management may be in conflict with mine but this has little to do with the national origin of the G/O. Most problems I have seen in areas where I hunt stem not from the guide/outfitters but from resident hunters who are not residents of the area. GD

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes
Here in bc the G/O just were awarded almost 25% of game on leh (limited entry hunting), quite a few guiding territories are owned by foreigners who recently arrived, whether they be American or from Germany or elsewhere...it doesn't matter, local residents are pizzed off.

No access is restricted that I'm aware of, although some may try to limit access, my guess is some is going to get shot as its really got some resident hunters seething.
all the protests and attempted dialog fell on deaf ears with the ministry officials, voting for another political party isn't an option because that option wants to take residents hunting away entirely, and the present government knows that. Hunting is governed by the provinces with the exception of migratory birds.

I dont blame any business owner taking steps to improve his bottom line, but I'm afraid its at the expense of another group of people.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's the golden rule -- he who has the gold makes the rules.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Afternoon Keith.
I was inspired, by what another of my NW Ontario friends, the other Keith, told me about the new slot on jacks, (northern pike).
The only thing I can think of is the draw of the large catch, and release of the trophy northerns that only "yanks", care about.
Methinks there should be a bounty on jacks under six pounds!

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For Mary and I, one Jack of any size is a meal, but my fishing partner won't allow them in his boat, and he seems to know where to find the perfect sized pickerel. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
You can't hunt deer or any other large game in Ontario without a guide. Where do you find a guide? By staying at a resort and spending big money on guide and resort fees. Also, in the "Border Waters", the area just north of the Minnesota border with Ontario, there is no camping. The resorts did get that one passed years ago as they felt there were too many campers staying out in the bush and the resorts felt it was taking away from their business. Even though I have a place in Ontario, pay property tax, road tax, school tax and contribute to the economy for six months out of the year I can't camp on nearby lakes.

I camp anyway.

I've come to the viewpoint that Canada has a law governing everything - no matter how small - and that really does restrict freedom. For example, you can leave your boat and motor in Canada, but not your 4 wheeler. Makes no sense.

I don't ignore all the laws, but some are just too restrictive for someone who has been going to and living in Canada for 58 years. If caught, I'll rely on the "dumb old coot" defense.

Last edited by walt501; 03/06/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Whatever happened to that grumpy old BC'er?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You refer to Kutenay. We have greydog but he has been to charm school.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Compared to Kutenay, Don Rickles has been to charm school.

"SNAP", sounds much like old Kute.

I am surprised SNAP has not chipped in on this one.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Oh just wait, I am sure he will come around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For goodness sake don't encourage him to come back.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I really don't know much about Canada. I have been to Winnipeg once and Toronto a couple of times but I have lived for 44 years on the shores of Lake Nipigon. So this area I know pretty well. I'm pretty much retired now but still rent a couple of cabins and I used to run a charter boat.

Years ago here's how it worked.

A couple of guys or maybe a small group would throw a tent in the trunk and tie down a canoe on top of some junk car and drive up here. They bought a few groceries, some gas and maybe some beer and went camping in the bush. They complained about the price of everything and found it hard to get any local info on where to go and catch a fish.

Some of them where smart enough to look for boat landings with the most garbage--thats where the locals fished.

Some of them fell in love with the Boreal Forest--and they dreamnd of the day when they could afford a decent tent camper and a boat and motor. They dreamnd of the day when they could afford a fly-in fishing trip or to stay at real resort and afford a guide.

A lot of these young men came back year after year--they brought their families--and most wives aren't going to put up with outhouses.

Crown Land Camping Permits put a stop to all this. Where we used to have 20 tourist outfits we now have 2. And those 2 spend a ton of money on advertising in the US to get people to come here.

The tourist buisness hereabouts is kinda like the Mafia--once you're in you can't get out. You meet some nice people and you just can't say No.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
People often ask me how a hillbilly from Missiouri wound up on Lake Nipigon.

I tell them the truth. I showed up in a junk car with a canoe tied on top and a tent in the trunk and just never left.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you an old hippie or draft dodger? LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's funny, don't matter who y'ar! smile

We have a draft dodger that has been here for close to fifty years. Wish he would leave. He is an idiot, but he was an idiot before he evaded the draft, and would still be one if he headed south again.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, I've always wondered why Canada welcomed draft dodgers up here. If they wouldn't stand up for their own country they would never have stood up for us if it became necessary.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I served with the 1st Bn 61st Reg 5th Inf Div (Mech). Spent most of Sept of 69 in country at the Rockpile on the DMZ.

Brother Keith--I met a draft dodger in Savant Lake in the mid 80's who was a complete Idiot--might have been the same guy.

Most draft dodgers were educated--doctors, lawyers, accountants and such, Canada came out ahead on that deal.

Only thing I would change about my life--I should have immigrated 3 years earlier and skipped the all expenses paid vacation to RSVN

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, the guy I know married his first cousin and had a few kids, and ran amuck of the law in many regards. The only bright thing he did was move to Canada. Does the word welfare tell ya anything?

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps I should have titled this, "Draft Dodgers in Canada".

Anything to keep some wholesome chat going.

kkahmann, I thank you for your service!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 32 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.