24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LDB Offline OP
OP Offline
So I just got back from a little road trip over to central Montana, I had been to the area about 5 years ago and it seemed to hold a very good population of both whitetail & mule deer but to my disappointment I saw few deer in the area. I have read recently that EHD has affected some areas of MT and I am wondering if it hit central real hard or if it was bad winters or what?

Perhaps it just seemed like numbers were way down? I did see some pretty good sized groups of mule deer but very few whitetails, it just seems like there were deer everywhere the last time I was there and it was about this same time of year...

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LDB
So I just got back from a little road trip over to central Montana, I had been to the area about 5 years ago and it seemed to hold a very good population of both whitetail & mule deer but to my disappointment I saw few deer in the area. I have read recently that EHD has affected some areas of MT and I am wondering if it hit central real hard or if it was bad winters or what?

Perhaps it just seemed like numbers were way down? I did see some pretty good sized groups of mule deer but very few whitetails, it just seems like there were deer everywhere the last time I was there and it was about this same time of year...

It hits whitetails harder as they usually congregate along streams and river bottoms where the insect that carries it thrives.Eastern CO was hit with it two years ago in different locals

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2-3 winters ago it was tough in eastern and Central montana and then that spring EHD hit double wammy. Missoula also go some EHD that showed up in some whitetail first time EHD has showed up on the west side of Montana.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It hit hardest in the summer of 2011, following the hardest winter on record here. EHD showed up again in 2012, and 2013. Some estimates ran as high as 98% kill on Whitetail along the Milk River. It also accounted for thinning out thousands of antelope all across Eastern Montana.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
NC Montana has been hit hard -- Not so much the weather in our area but EHD. Whitetails, which were all over 6-8 years ago, are almost gone.

IC B2

LDB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by sherm_61
2-3 winters ago it was tough in eastern and Central montana and then that spring EHD hit double wammy. Missoula also go some EHD that showed up in some whitetail first time EHD has showed up on the west side of Montana.

That is scary to me, I hate to hear it has made it onto the west slope, I hate to hear about it anywhere but that's getting pretty close to home.

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Closer than the EHD/BTV outbreaks in ID and WA last year?

LDB Offline OP
OP Offline
About the same distance I guess, not sure exactly how far north it came. I heard there was some in Lewiston/Clarkston area on ID/WA line, that's about same distance as Missoula from us.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The EHD in Missoula was in a pretty concentrated area along the Clarkfork where deer numbers were very high. I hunt whitetail in the mountains within a couple miles of the outbreak and the deer I hunt weren't affected.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LDB
About the same distance I guess, not sure exactly how far north it came. I heard there was some in Lewiston/Clarkston area on ID/WA line, that's about same distance as Missoula from us.

It hit parts of Eastern Washington really hard last summer. All the way up to north of Spokane. The dry years and areas with limited water and concentrated whitetails always get it the worst.

With the way it is shaping up so far this early spring, we might have another round of it this coming summer.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.