-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have an upcoming trip to a national park with tigers in India and was wondering what the best books about hunting in India are. Doesn't have to be about tigers or just about tigers, but I would prefer at least one about tiger hunting. Trying to get a feel for what it was like when hunting was allowed in India.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anything (everything) by Jim Corbett.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. Jim corbett.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"Man Eaters of Kumaon", and "The Temple tTiger" are classic books by Corbett. if you can't find one of them, "Jim Corbett's India" is a pretty good collection of short stories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a two-volume omnibus of Corbett's stuff on Amazon a few years back. Saves looking for separate books.

RevMike put me on to the books of Kenneth Anderson a while back. He has a slightly different view of the subject and operated a bit to the South of Corbett's territory. You can get free PDFs of his stuff from online archives like archive.org. His stuff on cobras is pretty scary (well, it scared me!).

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For more contemporary stuff on India ( which is all pretty old by now),read JOC articles on tiger hunting there.

Also Elgin Gates, "A Trophy Hunter in Asia" IIRC.

Gates is especially good.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
Anything (everything) by Jim Corbett.

Corbett is my favorite of them all, India or Africa.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Safari Press sells their 5-volume collection of Corbett for $100, which is a really good deal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I first read a Reader's Digest book condensation of Man-eaters of India when I was 11 years old.

I think that Corbett is the best writer about hunting anything anywhere who has ever lived.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would tend to agree!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
For more contemporary stuff on India ( which is all pretty old by now),read JOC articles on tiger hunting there.

Also Elgin Gates, "A Trophy Hunter in Asia" IIRC.

Gates is especially good.
Yup,and C.J. McElroy's book "McElroy hunts Asia."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Corbett.....Hands down.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would say the years available to "hunt India" were fairly limited, and Corbett lived in the center of those.

When I was there I saw no chance of hunting...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's also Corbett's Jungle Lore, a tiny book that describes his early life and how he acquired his skills.

If you go to Amazon and search "Jim Corbett", you'll hit the jackpot.

There are a couple of chapters in Ruark's Use Enough Gun that will show you how to lose a "dead" tiger and get nicely chewed by a leopard, if either of those notions appeals to you.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/06/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another book written about an earlier era than Corbett's series is THE RIFLE AND HOUND IN CEYLON, by Sir Samuel White Baker. While not strictly India, the island of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), just off the southeastern coast of India, had many of the same game species. Ceylon was known during Baker's era as a place to hunt elephants and water buffalo, along with sambar, axis deer, and several other species.

Baker notes that: "Although the wild boar is constantly killed, I do not reckon him among the sports of the country, as he is never sought for; death and destruction to the hounds generally being attedant upon his capture. The bear and leopard also do not form separate sports; they are merely killed when met with."

It's a very different book than Corbett's, about a very different sort of hunting (along with more dependance on dogs, the guns are mostly black powder doubles) but well worth reading if you can find a copy. Like Corbett's books, it's been reprinted more than once, but not as often or abundantly.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Asian Hunter by Capt. John Brandt
Another Rifle Another Land has sections on Indian game. This is a J.Y. Jones book.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I first read a Reader's Digest book condensation of Man-eaters of India when I was 11 years old.

I think that Corbett is the best writer about hunting anything anywhere who has ever lived.

That is probably true. To me his books are as much a cultural experience as they are a story about hunting. No one wrote as well and as I recall his writings have been used to teach writing skills and in English classes.

Of course this was back in the days when people aspired to write,sadly unlike today.

But I digress..... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Two years in the jungle by William Hornady.He was a tough SOB and probably shot more game in India and Indonesia than any other person.Also a Taxidermist and one of the founders of B&C club.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,343
Posts18,487,754
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.