Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am looking for a spotter and have never had one before. What is the advantages/disadvantages of the straight tube over the angled or vice verse? Is it just a personal preference or is there a real difference? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are perks to each I guess.

Like being able to use a shorter tripod while standing with an angled and being easier for another person to look through without adjusting the scope.

Straight is well straight and might have some advantages with packing. They claim it is easier to look at something and then find it with the spotter. Using from the truck with a window mount seems to be another plus they offer.

All in all it comes down to personal preference IMO. Best thing to do is go to a sporting goods store and look through each at different positions. You'll find what you like best.

For me it's angled all the way. I'm often reminded how much I like it as I can't stand trying to look through my buddies straight scope.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Bit more of a learning/practice curve to find your subjects through an angled vs straight.
Optically, no difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Angled everytime for me. People say it is easier to find your target with a straight scope and that it is easier to look through a straight scope on a window mount.
Not for me.
An angled scope with a ring that rotates around the body allows an infinite number of adjustments to the scope instead of to your neck, head and back.
YMMV, get a good one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personal preference. For me it's a no-brainer for the reasons the guys mentioned. I go 100% straight. wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're not straight Jordan...You're not fooling anyone grin.

I like the angled myself, but I do worry about damage to the angled part of the eye piece in my pack, especially when packing quarters and the scope is jammed in the pack during the first trip out. I've never had a problem with it, but it is always in the back of my mind.

The angled eye pieces is easier on my neck, unless I am looking uphill...then it can be a pain at times.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
You guys are talking to an old fart that not going to tote a spotter any further that to the bench from the truck at the range! LOL Thanks for all the information! Daniel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Personal preference. For me it's a no-brainer for the reasons the guys mentioned. I go 100% straight. wink

I'm in this camp.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I'm in this camp.....

Same here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I am looking for a spotter and have never had one before. What is the advantages/disadvantages of the straight tube over the angled or vice verse? Is it just a personal preference or is there a real difference? Thanks

Have used and owned both, but give the nod to the straight eyepiece.

It is generally slower to pick up critters with the angled. I thought the angled would be great when sitting in the pickup with the eyepiece turned 45 degrees, but it's not nearly as convenient as I imagined.

An angled doesn't fit into my pack as well as a straight, the angled seems to take more space. The straight eyepiece is a slicker package.

Full disclosure: When in the field, I use a monopod, and a straight eyepiece is easier to control--so that does influence my perception.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Another vote for straight.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For spotting hits from a bench or otherwise I prefer the angled.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
angled for me. more viewing options.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
After years of using straight spotters I traded my 65mm STM for a angled STS 65mm Swaroski Spotter, works great hunting and even better at the range.

Ted
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Depends what you will be using if for the most. Here when using it in the mountains I wouldn't trade an angled for anything. To me it's much more comfortable for looking uphill, downhill, straight, etc. I personally do not like using the angled from a window mount though. It does work but its not my top pick. I normally use 12x binos on my window mount anyway. If your primarily going to use it from a vehicle or on a range straight may be the best. I would try to get your hands on one of each and see how you like using them.

Last edited by Rifleman513; 03/07/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had/used both and prefer the angled spotter. All personal preference though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straight

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep, straight for me too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Straight for me - I have a heck of a time finding what I'm looking for in angled spotters. Just does not seem natural for me to look down at an angle to look straight ahead.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,111 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,752
Posts18,514,685
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.