Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Howdy all,

Looking for a Blue Book for reference. Needn't be a new edition, but the newer the better. Anyone have one they could part with for a reasonable price?

Suggestions on where to find one?

I can do PP, USPS MO, whatever.

Thanks,

-Ken

Last edited by Fiddy; 03/08/16.
GB1

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to gun show this weekend and find the guy who sells them. I believe the new one comes out in April. Offer half price on this years which will be out of date in a month.

I know for sure that approach worked at least once in the last month.
smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS
Go to gun show this weekend and find the guy who sells them. I believe the new one comes out in April. Offer half price on this years which will be out of date in a month.

I know for sure that approach worked at least once in the last month.
smile

That's the kind of advice I can get behind! Thanks, I'll look around at the Reno show next month.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Most over-rated reference book out there.

Good luck.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cisco1

Most over-rated reference book out there.

Good luck.

What do you suggest?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you're selling ask twice as much as you want because everyone wants to make an offer and steal it whistle and if you're buying everyone has read the first of this and priced everything according to that rule.'

You should also be aware that the same gun will different values around the country - for example Model 12 16ga used to sell like hotcakes whereas in most of the rest of the country you're making a lampshade,

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cisco1: I disagree with you completely!
The Blue Book of Gun Values is an extremely valuable "all in one place" reference book.
These books have answered at least 1,000 "important" questions for me when wheeling and dealing on Rifles, shotguns and pistols since I began using them 35 years ago or so.
AND... I have loaned out my Blue Books to friends and fellow gun enthusiasts many hundreds of more times.
All manner of questions can be answered by use of these books not just for "appraisals"!
I know - I done it.
By the way, to the original poster, I have a very nice condition "Thirty First Edition" - "Blue Book of Gun Values" I would sell him for $10.00 and he pays shipping (book rate).
These books are a little bit pricey anymore and instead of me buying them religiously EVERY year for 30 years or so - I now buy them every other year.
I think they are well worth their price - especially for the newer gun enthusiast/collectors.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Varmint Guy & others.

The BB is OK for a starting point.
The prices in the BB are all over the place.
There is no one single reference . The only way to learn is through experience, and you get that by [bleep] up.

I have a pickup truck load of references.

I too have "done it" and for a hell of a lot longer than 35 years.
As my old buddy George Madis said " if you depend on the BB you will never learn much"
I am glad to be disagreed with......it tells me a lot.
Good Luck to all.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
VarmintGuy, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll hold out for something slightly newer if possible.

Cisco, thanks for your input. I have used my Dad's and brothers' blue books on many occasions for quick references. Things like ballpark pricing, configurations and variations, etc. I fully understand the limitations of the book. Can you suggest a better resource to use as a quick-refence? I realize that an in-depth understanding of any firearm will require alternative resources.

Thanks

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Fiddy,
The BB is good for years of production, history of manufacturers. sometimes one can shake out a model , etc. I have found manufacturer addys and phone numbers. That is helpful.
I used to think the prices were based on auctions, I don't do auctions . I won't even look at them. But ,the prices are based on dreams, most likely wet ones.

Every Cheechako has to start somewhere.

Best of luck ,
Chuck

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ANY price guide that's put out once per year can't be very accurate so the prices themselves are a guideline at best.

Those books have a lot more information than prices.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Find out what your LGS uses (Blue Book For Me) and use that one. It will put you on the same page as Them. That is, if like me, you like to wheel and deal locally.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 270cowboy, 16gage, 50 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,304
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.