Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I've been reloading for about 10 years and still think I'm a novice. I've been thinking of getting a press of my own so that I can do a little work when I don't feel like going to my buddy's shop. An old friend gave me a box of equipment and told me to see what I can make of it. Tell me is any of this worth putting some work into? It's not in the greatest shape. Also, there's Lyman dies stamped "7-65 mau", I assume 7.65 Arg. Mauser (Belgium)? Is the old Lachmiller Primer swage die any good? I could see using that. The primers I'd guess are mid-60s as two had a reciept dated '66. Use them? Anyway...tell me what you think? Worth some elbow grease? Thanks in advance.
[Linked Image]

HR IC

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW, that is some OLD gear...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hell I'd use them..

the dies don't wear out...

Test the primers...

the bullets are fine...

the Old RCBS hand puller is still fine...even with the duct tape on the handle...

N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Seafire,
I plan to use a lot of it. The .311 bullets and 7.65 dies are going up for sale...i'll never use them.

How do you test old primers?

The RCBS? You mean Pacific? I'm concerned about the shaft having too much play in it after cleaning the gunk off as seen in this picture:
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I would use them

The piece with the duct tape around the handle is an old Pacific press before being bought by Hornady. Still have my grandfather's that my dad used to reload with when he was growing up

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya test old primers by loading some up and taking them out and shooting them...

just a few out of each box will let you know if the box got contaminated in some way over the decades...

wouldn't use them for big game hunting necessarily but certain good enough for varminting...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Learn what you can by cleaning it all up, then...start over with your very own press. An RCBS Partner press is better than a junky old Pacific (if still available and you don't want a full starter kit.) Keep the Pacific as a dedicated deprimer and don't use the Pacific to prime cases. Use a Sinclair/RCBS/Lee autoprime instead.

2 cents

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All that stuff served to load ammunition 50 years ago. Why wouldn't it work now? Better stuff available today? Absolutely, but so what? Clean it up, put it into service, and feel your way toward the equipment made today that will best serve your needs- you'll make better decisions in the end.

Everybody automatically starts yelling out that a newbie needs this or he needs that, when in truth said newbie needs to learn by doing and make his own mind up about what is best for him. Everybody is different, with different needs and goals- what is the cat's azz for one guy may be an albatross around the neck of the next guy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
My thanks to all. I wouldn't call me a newbie, as indicated above. I've loaded with friends Rockchucker, an old C&H, and a 550B.

I'd like to learn more about the Lachmiller primer swage. Anyone have one or used one? It has no instructions with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

You can also just prime a few cases and shoot them as blanks.

Unless you compare performance over a C graph shooting loaded rounds won't tell you much. IMO

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I can chrono the loads i'll test the primers with. I'm not sure if that will be all that indicative of anything as I've heard others have got less velocity with a Mag vs. regular LR primer in certain instances.

Last edited by NTG; 03/09/16.
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Any known issues of this press having issues where it's obviously an aluminum cast/alloy of some type? I know the RCBS partner (aluminum cast) would crack at times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
First thing I'd look at on that press is the ram. My first press was a Pacific (1954) and the ram was set up for one cartridge size only. Mine was set up for the common 30-06 size case heads. When I wanted to load 30-30, oops! No go. You had to order a new ram with the proper size. That's the bad news. The good news was I was able to order a new ram the took interchangeable shell holders. Pacific had just made the change over so that cured my problem. I would imagine Hornady might have a replacement should you need one, at least possible for mine. On yours, I dunno. Based on your photo, I think you have the older style ram for one case head size. Maybe the ram for the newer press will fit.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Paul, thanks for the pointer...I'd already honed in on that. It is a "#1" marked ram which will do for all I reload right now except pistol stuff, but I'll continue to load that on my buddy's 550.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Seafire

You can also just prime a few cases and shoot them as blanks.

Unless you compare performance over a C graph shooting loaded rounds won't tell you much. IMO

Jerry

thanks Jerry...

I neglected to add that simple detail...

I assume people know too much or I forget.. either or...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like museum material. Respectfully sir get new primers and equipment, for safety sake.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Primers are $4/box around here. Not even worth the time to attempt to see if these are any good. Keep those old CCIs as a curiosity if you like, but keep them far away from anything that might get used. Unless you have a revolver and want to use them to shoot foam ear plugs for cowboy action shooting training (there are YouTube videos)...

I agree with the idea of using the press as a depriming stand. Unless that ram cleans up to be really smooth, which it doesn't look like it will, it will just wear out the block it slides through, and you'll end up with high efforts and possible concentricity issues, etc. None of that matters for knocking primers out before you tumble your brass.

The primer pocket swager is for opening up the pockets on brass where the case is crimped around the primer. That ensures retention of the primer in the brass and may assist with environmental sealing. This is done on virtually all military rounds. If you get 5.56 or 7.62 or 9mm NATO brass mixed in with your .223, .308 or 9mm, you'll have a use for it. Swaging the pockets is generally preferable to reaming them, as it restores the material to its original form (approximately) rather than cutting it away.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The only thing I would not use are the primers.
I once bought a box of "stuff" at an auction and there were probably 500 shotshell primers. So I picked through each box and pulled 2 or 3 primers out of each. I loaded them into empty hulls and every primer went bang and sounded the same.
I proceeded to then load about 200 shotshells with them and two or three out of ten either a total dead shell or misfire/weak ignition. What a pain.
Never used old primers again except ones I have had and know they were stored properly.

Last edited by nick; 03/09/16.
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the input everyone. I've got a full case (minus a couple 100) of 210s so I'm not planning to use the primers. I understand what swager does, but it'd be nice to know how this one works. I probably ought to research it more and see if I've got all the required parts!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
God only knows how many "antique" primers I used in my life. In fact, I'm working my way through a sleeve of 50 year old Alcan small pistol primers as we speak- they work fine, no duds and I don't expect any. If they have been stored reasonably well, there's no reason on god's green earth not to use them- it ain't a safety issue. The worst that can happen is you get a dud. The "hotness" of a primer doesn't increase when they go bad, just the opposite.

My 86 year old landlord keeps finding stashes of ancient primers and old cans of powder that he'd been hoarding in an out building- no heat, no AC, no nothing. Some of that stuff has been out there for decades, subjected to the climate extremes of seasons next to the Chesapeake Bay- and everything he's given me so far has performed like the day it was made.

So, when you're gifted a trove of old loading supplies don't automatically deep-six it without trying it out.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,992 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.