Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great info gents! thank you! got a lot to think about now.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always kind of regretted my youthful lack of vision when, in the 80s, I dismissed an opportunity to simply take over payments on a home in Anchorage. The fellow didn't want to do the inevitable; dropping the keys on the desk at the mortgage company's office.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
These guys have some good points for sure.

I think if you're looking at the high end stuff then waiting would probably be wise. Normal houses might drop a little after you buy but I bet they'll come back in a reasonable amount of time. Like Art said the $1000 I based rent off of is probablly low so that $24,000 in two years the total amount of rent could be much higher.

If you're looking at staying on the Kenai for awhile and find the perfect house in a resonable price range then I personally wouldnt be afraid to buy. If you think you'll only be there for a few years probably be better off renting. Knowing that you've lived there before and are planning to retire there I'm assuming you're planning on hanging around there for awhile!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing with a mortgage is not all of the payment is going to principal, a goodly portion is interest and property taxes so you have to compare what you'll be gaining in equity vs. the difference between rent and mortgage payments.

Since it is and will be more so a buyers market, spend your time to really learn the market and buy a quality property. A good property will also sell in an up or down market and you shouldn't settle for a property with issues in this market.

I wouldn't buy a house in the next couple years in Alaska. Our plan is to hunker down and weather out the economy for the next 5-10 years. Hopefully it won't be that bad or that long, but I have little hope for the dolts in Juneau.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The thing with a mortgage is not all of the payment is going to principal, a goodly portion is interest and property taxes so you have to compare what you'll be gaining in equity vs. the difference between rent and mortgage payments.

Since it is and will be more so a buyers market, spend your time to really learn the market and buy a quality property. A good property will also sell in an up or down market and you shouldn't settle for a property with issues in this market.

I wouldn't buy a house in the next couple years in Alaska. Our plan is to hunker down and weather out the economy for the next 5-10 years. Hopefully it won't be that bad or that long, but I have little hope for the dolts in Juneau.

Come now! I have total faith in the cranial and fiscal vacuums in Juneau... they WILL screw it up!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great insights gents! thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

this is going to be my retirement home and i don't plan on leaving or moving ever again in my life! i've averaged a move every 1.7 years for the past 22 years. I'm pretty much over the thought of ever moving again. I will use all the advice everyone has been nice enough to share when and if i make an offer.
thanks again!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Patience is key right now, I believe. There were a ton of incredible deals in the last "buying opportunity.,

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My Kenai house will be for sale when I move to Texas.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
458 nailed it when he said hold out for a quality property, As he said It'll move in a good or bad market. Totally agree with Art too. Patience is the key but when you find the right one I'd make a move. But I'd start my offer low....grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ain't nobody that likes you in Texas?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ain't nobody that likes you in Texas?

Ain't nobody from nowhere that likes him!

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shocked grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, you know...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You SOBs know I can see this, right?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What? Pretending you have feelers?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The house next door to Brother Bill is for sale!

It's not the destination...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
not sure my liver could handle that.. lol i'm looking for places with more than 5 acres. got some leads and will be checking them out starting tomorrow. prices have already begun to fall.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good luck on your search

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think some are under-estimating what this oil recession can do in Alaska. In the 80s, my home of 10 years wouldn't bring 50% of mortgage balance.

My buddy had recently paid $250K for a nice fourplex in Soldotna and the renters starved out in a year forcing him to give the keys to the bank and they sold it for $80K.

Anchorage lost a dozen banking firms in short order.

Last edited by VernAK; 03/09/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
I think some are under-estimating what this oil recession can do in Alaska. In the 80s, my home of 10 years wouldn't bring 50% of mortgage balance.

My buddy had recently paid $250K for a nice fourplex in Soldotna and the renters starved out in a year forcing him to give the keys to the bank and they sold it for $80K.

Anchorage lost a dozen banking firms in short order.

On the positive side the garage sales were killer!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.