Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good coyote rifles

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Good coyote rifles

Elmer?

Is that you?! shocked

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
Good coyote rifles

'booger' your nose is growing again.
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes rifle weight isn't that critical as long as it in reason. I will say however that I have used a 700 mtn rifle to good effect as well as a stevens 200 that was pretty lightweight in a tree stand. If my vanguard has a drawback it is more in length than weight, but shots are pretty relaxed and maneuvering is pretty deliberate anyway if a deer is close by so it hasn't really been a issue. Actually that stevens 308 was a pretty good tree stand rifle tupperware stock and all. Oh well can't keep em all.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Yeah who the hell hunts with an 8.5 pound 270?

That's a lightweight in my stable....

Pat, while I view a lightweight as under 7lbs scoped, with sling and rounds, there are a lot of guys here that think a lightweight is as easy to shoot LR as a mid or heavyweight rifle.

I just scratch my head over the group-think on this forum...

Agreed.....kinda like the midwest whitetail hunter guys driving their badboy buggies to access their tree stands. It can't be that far, or difficult of a walk.

If you live/hunt in a place without any mountains, it can still be many miles across the prairie from where you park to where your stand is located, so an ATV just makes the journey quicker and easier. My favorite deer stand is about 75 yards from the closest county road.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If you live/hunt in a place without any mountains, it can still be many miles across the prairie from where you park to where your stand is located, so an ATV just makes the journey quicker and easier. My favorite deer stand is about 75 yards from the closest county road.

Yep - I never owned a 3 wheeler (pre 4wheelers) till I started hunting S W Miss. It was 1-2 mi from camp and 'down hill' going and UPhill coming back.

I bought a 3 wheeler since I already had rifleS.

Today I haul a 4 wheeler to where I hunt and never unload it until I go to HAUL a deer in.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geez....what's a guy supposed to do? Have a heavy rifle for eastern stands and Alberta cut lines....then go get a light one for Wyoming and the west?

Bob, well yeah.....duh....

grin

For years all I used was a M700 with a 22" 'heavy' sporter-weight barrel. It's about 8.5lbs scoped.

Then I joined the 'Fire and learned about lightweight rifles. Thought, hmmm, those sound like just the ticket for walking all day with a rifle in your hand or on a sling.

The last 4 bolt action rifles I bought are all around 6.5-7lbs scoped. And I don't even hunt the mountains...

The 'heavy' 270 still gets used a lot but I ain't carrying it very far. Scabbard and short hunts close to home.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SamO: You nailed it usual...."close to home".

On hunts, I am NEVER close to home. frown

So, the luxury of swinging by the house to grab another rig is something I have never been afforded. The fate of where I live dictates I have to travel,and encounter and deal with whatever conditions and circumstances Montana,Wyoming, Canada, Maine or New Mexico, or Kansas dishes out.

Grand compromises as opposed to high specialization. Once you have to get on a plane you are limited in what you can take. After 40+ years of doing this I know what works for me and what to take. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, 'close to home' means sneaking in a short hunt after work. Hell a 9-10lb rifle isn't a big deal if a guy is only sneaking around for an hour or two and covering less 1-2 miles.

Those 'long' drives to places where I might walk from dark 'til dark covering +10 miles makes the lighter weight rifles seem like a good idea!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of my bolt actions are 8 to 8.5 lbs. My 270 is a Zastava Mauser in walnut with a 24 inch bbl and 4-12x scope. Right on 8.5lbs.

Even covering 15km in a morning, doesn't seem that heavy to me.

It's what you're used to I guess.

As to the 6.5x55 vs the 270 Win, I see them like brothers where the younger brother just grew a bit stronger and bigger. The 7mm Rem Mag bears the same relationship, a bigger brother again.

Seems the 270 straddles the middle ground nicely.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bobnob17

As to the 6.5x55 vs the 270 Win, I see them like brothers where the younger brother just grew a bit stronger and bigger. The 7mm Rem Mag bears the same relationship, a bigger brother again.

Seems the 270 straddles the middle ground nicely.

Very nice analogy. I like it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used both, with the 270 being my primary deer rifle for 30 years. I have had only one 270, a Remington 700 Classic. I owned 3 different 6.5X55's, 2 Howas and a customized Swedish Mauser. Shooting reloads only, my 270 outshoot all of them, which is the reason I no longer have a 6.5X55, as I just prefer the 270. Nothing wrong with the Swede, and I've given thought to trying another one some day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Gunner, Don Zutz talked about this 'phenomenon' as other writers...how the Magical High Rotational Velocity of (yes, not forward speed folks) the 7.5-8" twist can wreck havoc on game/animal tissue vs. a 9-10 in other typical rifles.

Of course this is deviating into Looney talk. The whole topic/thread was for entertainment as I know both rounds well and like both, both 2 peas in a pod like the 260 and 708.

Yes, Orion, I never had a 6.5 let me down, mostly used 120 and 130s on game, which is why I chose a 260/130 Accubond as my main go to round.

25-06, yes, it's what was offered since the 6.5-06 never made it past wildcat status. Surely the metric 'aversion' here in the US.

But Gunner, all bullets are engineered w/regards to the velocity window etc. they typically run. There are many modest sized 6.5 rounds and bullets in 6.5 typically perform very well at the speeds most 6.5s run.

I'd say you might want to compare a 6.5/140PT against the 277/160 PT for a closer comparison. Seldom spoke of, but the 160 PT is likely touted as some to be a 'beast' for it's bore size.

The 140 actually has a better bc/sd than a 150 in 277, so you have to jump to the 160 to get as good an SD....

It'd be interesting to see if a 270 w/an 8 twist would do any different on impact w/the 160 PT than a 10 twist....perhaps not, but I'd be curious.

My purpose of the thread was not which one is best, but simply for those who use either or both, to share their success, as both have an enviable track record, b/c they are A) shootable B) they work...and well. You could add both have a decent trajectory, very accurate, and maintain good ballistics downrange.

When I was younger and more excitable, I used to buy the fast-twist/extra killing power business, but these days I go back to Old Jack's notion that less kick leads to better shot placement and better results. Unlike a lot of theories, the fast-spin notion should be easy to prove or disprove in ballistic gel.

As for the .277 160 NPs go, I'm a fan. I picked up a couple of boxes on the cheap a while back, and so far they're 2-for-2 bang-flops; one an adult doe and the other an out-sized 8-point. Both were at 50 yards or less. For my puposes, if a rifle will shoot them, they'll be my choice, stubby profile and all. Several powders will push them to 2800, although my choice, 780, has been chopped. I've got enough for me, though.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate "versus" threads smile

Yup. Remind me of a bunch of Grandpas sitting around whipping out pictures of their grandbabies. Not much chance of rational discourse! grin

What fresh Hell is this?
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Believe MD once wrote that the 6.5's chambers/throating vary considerably between makes of rifles. Loaded ammo as well.
Being a bit more "standardized" might be a point in the 270's favor.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I hate "versus" threads smile

Yup. Remind me of a bunch of Grandpas sitting around whipping out pictures of their grandbabies. Not much chance of rational discourse! grin

Pappy post up those grandkids!!!! smile

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my take on this old thread having owned and shot both.

After messing around with the odd rim size, various throat lengths, differing twists, pressures. I came to my Looney senses and realized I was messing with all the 6.5 oddities when I already had a perfectly good cartridge in my safe.

I can easily load my 270 to achieve the soft recoil of the Swede with matching ballistics.

The only time I can see a benefit to the Swede is when using a true intermediate length action... or for looneyism/nostalgia.
grin smile cool

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CRS

After messing around with ---the odd rim size,--- various throat lengths, ---differing twists,--- pressures.

I came to my Looney senses and realized I was messing with all the 6.5 oddities when I already had a perfectly good cartridge in my safe.

I can easily load my 270 to achieve the soft recoil of the Swede with matching ballistics

I'm on the threshold of "it ain't worth the effort"....too,
with a 270, I'm already there.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only have one, but he's a corker. I'm waiting on a good pic of him with his Daddy's Boykins and some birds.

He's at the age where if you don't see him for a month, you don't recognize him.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Here is my take on this old thread having owned and shot both.

After messing around with the odd rim size, various throat lengths, differing twists, pressures. I came to my Looney senses and realized I was messing with all the 6.5 oddities when I already had a perfectly good cartridge in my safe.

I can easily load my 270 to achieve the soft recoil of the Swede with matching ballistics.

The only time I can see a benefit to the Swede is when using a true intermediate length action... or for looneyism/nostalgia.
grin smile cool

For me, it's about nice rifles, not what they're chambered for. Anyone that thinks there's practical, significant difference between cartridges in the deer woods is delusional. The moose kill study proves that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 309coug, 2five7, 117LBS, 50 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,435
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.