Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I found that most medium to small caliber rifles dont need to be perfectly set up for me ie. LOP etc.. they seem to work fine and a pleasure to shoot due to less recoil and good pointability. My model 7 LOP is not perfect but I'm very comfortable with it.

The 338WM however has a limbsaver pad and recoil reducer and the rifle fits like a glove. Recoil is tame and I take it out more often than not ... not much to shoot with it here in Oz, but it's still my favourite for now ... set it up properly and it wont end up a safe queen

210g Partitions worked well in Africa, here is a sight picture with my Leupoldt, 200m zero, 2850 fps. Out to 300 odd meters holding high on the back gave you centre in the vitals.
[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a pre'64 Winchester M/70 several years ago, loaded the now discontinued Speer 275gr. RN bullet over a stout charge of IMR 4350. The rifle was equipped with a Canjar trigger and was the most accurate M/70 I've ever owned, it would shoot three shot cloverleafs at 100yds. all day long. All the elk I took with it went down at the shot or within 30yds. or less, it was even more effective on mule deer somewhat of an overkill. I no longer hunt elk and have swapped the .338 WM for a .35 Whelen like one of the previous posters. The Whelen with .225gr. Sierra or Noslers is a whitetail killing machine.

Last edited by gunswizard; 12/09/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not much to add to the excellent discussion other than that I personally find it an enjoyable cartridge to shoot from my Rem700 XCR. Recoil is a big friendly ol' push, not a sharp whack or jab. FWIW.

One of these years I'll actually kill something with the damn thing.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

How can you afford not to buy it? You owe it to yourself.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a model 70 .338 and shoot 225 partitions. Living in British Columbia I do a lot of moose and elk hunting with great results with this combo. It's a great caliber everyone should own one in his hunting career.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
Have a chance to buy a Winchester with Leupold scope and never owned this caliber before and wondering what's the good and bad of this caliber? Also what game have you taken with it? Also what grain and bullet you use?

Good questions. Yes they are an excellent elk cartridge. A little too much for most guys when it comes to recoil. Trajectory, energy and on game performance is pretty good. Accuracy has always seemed to be very good when loaded near max. I generally use 250gr. bullets in mine, but ran across a good deal on a few hundred 225gr. Hornady interlocks, so I'll be using those for a little while. Then I'll be going back to the 250gr. sierra gameking. I've tried tons of different bullets in mine and that's the bullet I decided on a long time ago. Good B.C and puts a good thumping on big critters (elk in particular). I have shot mule deer with mine, but afterwards thought to myself, "what in the hell are you doing". Definitely too much gun for smaller critters than elk. If you believe in that kind of thing. However, there's no more dead than really dead and the 338 makes them really dead... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by JMR40
Based on your screen name I'm guessing you have a 300WSM. Load it with some of the better 200-215 gr bullets and it'll do anything the 338 will do with 200-225 gr bullets.

The 338 will look better on paper at the muzzle, but you can kill an elk at close range with a 30-30. Beyond 200 yards or so the better BC's of the 30's will translate into more speed and energy than a 338.

I can see an advantage if you move up to 250-275 gr bullets, but will you ever hunt anything where that is needed.

This a common response when someone expresses they want a 338. People start rolling out all the reasons not to own one. Original poster here has a great opportunity to buy a 338 and you convince him not to buy another rifle. Congratulations. grin

Really the paranoia and guilt ridden responses over the 338 wm are facinating. "Too much recoil, ohh if you own one you can down load it to a 338 fed or 338-06, ohh by the way there is no advantage over a 300 but it's acceptiable to use it as a 338 fed... "

If you have a good opportunity to buy one and you are interested, then buy it! 338s have a great selection of projectiles and make good all around rifles. You can always compare cartridges. I prefer 338s/340 wby over 300s and prefer 30-06s over 300s. 338s can be housed in a relatively light weight rifle and have a lot to offer.

I was going to tell JMR that he is so full of chit that his eyes are brown, but you did it in such a nicer way than I ever could. He's still full of chit though as I'm sure he's never even fired a fu cking 338 win mag. He's probably never even killed an elk with either cartridges. Let me tell you, I have and I'll take the 338 over the other any day of the week and twice on sunday. Why do you think I sold my 300 wsm so soon after elk season? Because you get the same results with the good ol 30-06. Step up to the 338 and you get better results. BTDT. sorry to all you pukes that use 243's for elk hunting...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I bought my first .338 Mag. specifically as an elk rifle (too much Elmer Keith growing up). For that purpose it was fantastic using 250 grain Noslers.

After that first trip I began to use 210 grain Noslers to take deer, hogs, one Blue Bull and elk. I love the 210 grain bullets over the 250 grain for almost every use. The 250 grain bullet has exceptional penetration on large game.....more than is typically needed.....and the 210 grain is a bit flatter shooting.

The advantages of the .338 include:

It tends to "hit harder" than smaller calibers. No chambering will result in the same reaction EVERY time, but in general game shot with bigger bore rifles tend to show more reaction to the hit than with smaller caliber rounds. Game shot with the .338 will normally react to the hit better, be knocked from their feet more often, and when they run travel a shorter distance before expiring when compared to calibers of less than .30.

When game does run (and they all will from time to time) the blood trail left by the .338 is much more prolific than with smaller calibers in most cases.

If you ever have the opportunity to hunt truly big game (elk, moose, big bears, buffalo, or any other game weighing 500 pounds or more) you have a rifle that has the power and penetration to handle them with ease (particularly if you step up to a heavier bullet).

Not really an "advantage", but certainly not a disadvantage is the trajectory of the .338. With 210 grain bullets the bullet trajectory of the .338 is basically the same as for the .30-06 or .270 out to 400 yards or so (far as most hunters have any business shooting). This makes transitioning to the .338 easy for those used to shooting .30-06 class rifles.

There are few real disadvantages to the .338, but you can't totally discount a couple of things.

The typical .338 will weigh 1/2-1 pound more than the typical .30-06 class rifle. Part of that weight is because a "normal" .338 rifle will have a longer (24" or 26"....almost certainly no less than 22") barrel than a smaller bore rifle and often that barrel is of a slightly heavier profile. The stock also will tend to be a bit more robust on the .338.

That weight isn't by mistake. While it is possible to build a .338 rifle that weighs in at 7 pounds (or less) by using a 22" pencil profile barrel and lightweight stock, a rifle of that light weight would kick like a mule. At 8 1/2 pounds the .338 is very manageable....but the extra weight "could" be considered a disadvantage by some.

The weight of the .338 is because of one reason.....recoil. This could be the main disadvantage to the .338 (more so for some than others). Make no mistake, the .338 DOES have significant recoil as compared to a .270. It's not the "killer" at the buttstock that some make it out to be, but you definitely know when it goes off. Personally I don't find the recoil of the .338 to be particularly harsh (in a proper weight rifle), but I am somewhat recoil insensitive. I do know several shooters who won't use .270 or .30-06 class rifles because they find the recoil to be more than they want. For those shooters the recoil of the .338 is definitely a disadvantage.

Overall I really like the .338 Magnum. What's not to like, flat trajectory, quick killing, hard hitting and suitable for any game from pronghorn to big bears in a rifle of manageable weight and recoil.

Excellent post Rick. However, I have a 24" barreled winchester model 70 338 that weighs 7 pounds on the nose (without scope). It's not bad to shoot either. The Brown pounder helps to soak up recoil and it gets the rifle down to Kimberesque weight... I've also shot many 300 win mags that recoil more than my 338's have...

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will take a 338 win mag over a 300 win mag all day long and twice on Sunday! I think the 338 win mag recoil is more manageable than a 300 win mag..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Simply put: If you want one caliber to hunt all North American game and most of the world,you would be hard pressed to do better than a .338 Win. There are cartridges that are better suited for specific tasks,but as an all around,it's the go to caliber. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The rifle sounds like a good deal. A good scope and Win Model 70. I have a pre war model 70 that was re chambered to 300 Wby and I am going to re barrel to 338 Win. I have owned a 340 Wby for over 23 years and also have a 338-378 KT that I really like. Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 19 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,939
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.