Print Thread
Hop To
Page 93 of 111 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 110 111
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Also Ltppowell calling predators with his mouth.
Calling in a coyote at 100 yds and I just instinctively pulled up the marlin 444 as it was crossing the dirt road and Pat stopped it for a split second and I dumped it flat!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wtxj
He said he was laughing while shooting them that morning.

The ol' 376 Steyr kinda thumps them, Ya'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First three were DRT.

[Linked Image]

This one was moving a pretty good clip and I caught her a bit back. The impact rolled her but she got up and took off like a shot. Good blood for first twenty yards or so then nothing. Luckily it had been raining for three days and the ground was soft, so I was able to track. Seems the guts popped out and sealed the exit wound, so no blood.

[Linked Image]

all in all, a pretty good pile-o-pigs,

and yeah I was laughing at myself. I only brought 6 cartridges with me. I still had pigs coming and going and was out of bullets. I was thinking to my self "you dumb-azz". Somehow it struck me funny enough that I almost fell out of my chair .

Had a ball guys!!

Thanks to all ya'll for help making a memory.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The Campfire has some outstanding wing shots!
Pat,coloradoBob,7mmMato,Derek,Bullshooter and Stephen don't miss much and many others also were more than proficient with a shotgun! I was at my best with an energy drink and cigar,shotgun not so much

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac

You're a far more patient and tolerant man than I am, Dan.

He wouldn't have simply gotten away with his "miscommunication" comment were that to have been me speaking to that presumptuous, pompous ass.

I hear ya, Bob, but recognized in that moment that although he was a douche about it, he didn't know me from Adam, he was just following a protocol about a protocol and at least he recognized the protocol was evidently phugged. Reminded me of good times in the Army - a little protocol, a lot of bluster. Anyway, there were no "damages" but for minor inconvenience. Hey, am laughing about it still.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I passed a couple of decent sized pigs Thursday morning. That was a mistake, because they weren't so easy to come by, thereafter. Thursday evening the feeder was covered up in deer - some Texas whitetails(who still had their antlers) and Sitka deer. A group of nice eating size pigs trotted out. That ended quickly when an 8pt whitetail put his head down, and bluff charged the pigs, who spun 180's and ran like hell. I said, "thanks Deer" smirk

Saw a massive Red Stag come out. He was twice as tall as the whitetails, and probably 5-6x as heavy. I'd love to see him in 5-6 months smile

I probably saw 40-50 turkeys all told. The males were gobbling and strutting - and the season is a week away, darn it.

Friday night I lined up on a small pig, but it took off right as I fired and he was wounded. I tracked him a while, tried another shot, but hit a tree as I tried to get him in the brush. That left me pretty disappointed, also wondering if the 155 Scenars were too tough for small pigs.

Sat night it was sunny and warm. Lots of birds out, including the green jay I posted earlier, and a bazillion bright red Cardinals. I had what sounded like 30 songdogs singing within a 1/4 mile of me; wish I'd carried a predator call.

I finally saw a large group of pigs cross the road about 400 yards away, heading in my general direction. The birds at the feeder started getting nervous about 10-15 minutes later, so I got the AR10 (now loaded with 150gr Accubonds) ready. The large group trotted out, got almost to the feeder, and a couple birds spooked, which caused the whole group to spin a 180 and start running back toward the brush. By then I was on a decent sow, held low on the running pig's throat, and hit her square in the heart. I found a good blood trail right away, and found her 40 yards away. That was one of the better fast shot's I've ever made, and it felt good after the previous day's failure.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Pat and I tag teamed dinner Saturday,I did the brisket and Pat did a cajun BBQ shrimp that was to die for!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dan and Gang,

Great pics, great hunting, great food and great guys!

You had it all and congrats to all.

Steve

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

FJB
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Based on your photograph, the 243 is "enough gun" for the Jack of Rabbits....

More destructive than the 308 Win, even.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got home in the early AM. I had a great time. I'm in for next year. I'll bring more cases clay pigeons & a couple more flats of shot shells. Everything was prefect on this hunt with the exception of the rain. But that even made an adventure of getting to the blinds. I may have to umpire a few more softball games to get more mad money. I saw dandy axis bucks & blackbuck.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure wish I could have been there. Glad to see Ed got some Prairie Hogs... Not much meat on them, but fun to shoot.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All you fella's need to come to Texas, more than once a year, we need the rain that comes with you. Rio7

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
They call me the rain man !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen,
Thanks to all for being kind to my family(yes, I made the cardinal sin of bringing the wife and kids along, if only to introduce them to my hunting dream).

We are still on the road. Made El Paso late Sunday night. The wife cleaned out the bank account at the boot outlets but my family has footwear for the next two years! Headed up through Alamogordo near White Sands when fatigue and hog hunting happiness crept up on me. I let the wife drive some while I napped. I woke up halfway to Kansas. We barely made Gallup late last night.

So today we explore northern Arizona. I'll do all the driving.

Can't wait till next year. You guys rock.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Gentlemen,
Thanks to all for being kind to my family(yes, I made the cardinal sin of bringing the wife and kids along, if only to introduce them to my hunting dream).

We are still on the road. Made El Paso late Sunday night. The wife cleaned out the bank account at the boot outlets but my family has footwear for the next two years! Headed up through Alamogordo near White Sands when fatigue and hog hunting happiness crept up on me. I let the wife drive some while I napped. I woke up halfway to Kansas. We barely made Gallup late last night.

Kansas? Teach you to sleep. smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, the boots in El Paso. I still ware and have a pair bought many years ago in the town.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Gentlemen,

T,
It was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely family. Stay safe out there on the road.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK dudes...I just got home late last night after a pretty normal day of flying ( which is to say miserable...)

A BIG thanks to EdM and his lovely bride for their hospitality and taxi service. Ed had excellent taste in everything, so for a couple days I was surrounded by cool stuff!

Final tally on hogs, according to Kevin, was 48.....excellent considering the difficulty we had getting around.

It was a real pleasure seeing all you guys again, and everyone was on their best behavior, including Bobby. Didn't have to pass the hat for bail out of a Mexican jail or anything like it. grin

Some members were quite anxious to get involved with the impromptu Pig Dink-a-thon......and the competition was pretty fierce, but Colorado Bob took the honors with his dink, which literally won by the hair on its chinny chin chin.....Sized up next to Bobbys jack rabbit, the pig wasn't quite as big..... grin A couple dinks were killed by collateral damage ....

We should have had a big pig contest, EdM killed one that Im sure scaled over 200 pounds, and so did another member, plus more than a few brought in that would top 100 and a gob of perfect "eaters"......60-70 pounders.

I of course had to hold up my end for the stunt shooters of America, using a .223AI with 60 grain Nosler Ballistic tips.

Pig #1

[Linked Image]

Pig #2

[Linked Image]

More later!

Thanks for a great trip guys!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh yeah, forgot to add....

When I woke up Sunday morning to leave my boots had blood and mud on them, my rifle was muddy, and I had a hangover....

So I figured I had a pretty good time! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 93 of 111 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 110 111

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.