Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The custom dies run over $200. After reading a lot on the 6.5 saum, creating the brass seems almost overwhelming. Do i really need a $250 set of dies to load for this rifle? Also, do i need a custom seating die or can i just use a redding 7mm saum seater with a different seating stem? My rifle is in the process of being built so now i need to understand the most efficient way to load for this rifle. I have read the 11 page thread on the "care and feeding of a gap 6.5 saum", but still have some things that aren't so clear. Thanks for any authoritative comments. This will be a sporter weight hunting rifle, not a competition target rifle.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your 6.5 sizing die should handle the sizing. .020 difference is nothing. The 7mm seating die may not seat your bullet properly. A different seater stem fixes nothing. A $250 set of dies?? Why?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I personally would just order the Whidden dies!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I personally would just order the Whidden dies!

This. You'll be happy you spent the money.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'm pretty sure a lot of guys were using a 7mm saum Competition seater as is, are you going to use the new Hornaday brass?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I cant find any hornady 6.5 saum brass. I recently found a deal on 4 boxes of rem 7saum corloct/bonded ammo, 140 gr. I am thinking of disassembling these and using the rem brass.
Another question. Is there a difference between a 6.5-300 SAUM and a 6.5-7mm saum?
Also, can you use the widden dies in a forster coax press

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Call Whidden, they will tell you what i'm telling you below.

You need their full length non bushing die to size down necks if you are planning on turning necks. A bushing die doesn't size the whole neck and you'll turn a thin spot into the neck and end up with cracked cases after a firing or two.

You'll also need something to deal with the donuts you are going to encounter for sizing down 7 or 300 saum brass.

Your best bet is Hornady brass and then you can use whomevers bushing dies you please.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
How do you get a hold of "hormady 6.5-saum brass"?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
There was a guy offering some over on snipers hide in 6.5 sum thread!

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 03/14/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jowens

You need their full length non bushing die to size down necks if you are planning on turning necks. A bushing die doesn't size the whole neck and you'll turn a thin spot into the neck and end up with cracked cases after a firing or two.

You'll also need something to deal with the donuts you are going to encounter for sizing down 7 or 300 saum brass.

Your best bet is Hornady brass and then you can use whomevers bushing dies you please.

I have never had a donut problem as I fireform without a bullet. If you turn necks, do it after fire forming. The cases will not shorten either doing it this way.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Is the donut on the inside or outside. Do i need the collet and the non collet sizing die?? I do turn necks if i need to. I will be sizing down 7mm saum brass. This gun will not be a "tight neck" chamber. Do you know if the widden dies have standard threads on them so as to use forster lock rings, if i need to???

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
7/8-14 dies

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by jowens

I have never had a donut problem as I fireform without a bullet. If you turn necks, do it after fire forming. The cases will not shorten either doing it this way.

I had donut issues more than one time, even after turning them off or reaming them out, they still came back.

Would fire forming without a bullet eliminate the donut issue all together?

Cream of wheat method?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Is the donut on the inside or outside. Do i need the collet and the non collet sizing die?? I do turn necks if i need to. I will be sizing down 7mm saum brass. This gun will not be a "tight neck" chamber. Do you know if the widden dies have standard threads on them so as to use forster lock rings, if i need to???

The donut is on the inside of the case neck, unless you use an expander mandrel to push it to the outside and turn it off.

What is your neck diameter on your chamber? .298 is what i ran. It is supposedly a No Turn size for this round, but i still turned my necks a bit anyway to be safe.

If you are going to turn necks, you need a Whidden Full Length Non Bushing Sizing Die. The non bushing die will size the whole neck, the bushing die will not size the whole neck.

You can load perfectly good ammo with the non bushing die, but sometimes a bushing die is preferred to control neck tension, bullet run out, ect.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Is the donut more likely to occur in 7mm SAUM or 300 SAUM brass? Do you guys have a preference for which brass to convert from??

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine was with 7MM but i would bet it will happen with both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not doubting that the donut effect happens, but it never happened with 284 brass going to 6-284.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Not doubting that the donut effect happens, but it never happened with 284 brass going to 6-284.

Was it because the bullet was seated far enough out to not touch the donut?

That is one of the reasons I don't have donut issues with 6.5-284 brass necking up to a straight .284......my bullet doesn't get seated deep enough to touch it, so there is no issue.

The whole donut ordeal can be avoided with the proper freebore on the reamer, but I am not in the know on what freebore works best on the 6.5 SAUM to avoid the donut. I built one pretty much as soon as it came out.

Pat (Scenar Shooter) has had the donut issues with the 6.5 Saum as well.

Three options: Either deal with the donuts (inside neck ream, or turn them off the outside) (unless Butch's method eliminates them), have the correct free bore to keep the bullet you want to shoot out of the donut area, or just buy 6.5 SAUM brass from Hornady.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not familiar with the problem of these SAUMs, but don't donuts usually occur necking up when thicker shoulder material gets changed to neck wall?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm not familiar with the problem of these SAUMs, but don't donuts usually occur necking up when thicker shoulder material gets changed to neck wall?

I've seen it more in necking them down and in several different calibers.

I use Bullseye only with a wax plug. No use spending a lot of time here, just try it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.