Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am not sure if this should be in rim fire or lever action. Based on Internet advice I ordered Talley rings for my Model94/22m. Installation was a bit tricky but then mechanically. I am a disaster. I had planned to mount a Zeiss 1.8x5.5' but the hammer spur would not allow it. Others of this model have used a hammer spur to be able to mount a scope. I think the practical thing to do is find a reasonable fixed power, say 4x, or a small variable ,1.75x 6 or so. Can some one recommend a reasonably priced scope and do I need the hammer spur? It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do. Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Leupold 4X rimfire scope on my 9422 M
To make sure my thumb didn't slip off the hammer, I did have a hammer extension on it.

I didn't like the looks of a scope on this rifle, so swapped it out for a Skinner peep that clamps to the scope cuts on top.
Also added an Ivory bead for the front.

This set up works GREAT for my 63 year old eyes.

Virgil B.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't like scopes but my 72-year old vision demands them now. Basically I was looking for a scope that would give me a quick, accurate sight picture and that isn't too heavy or high.

Ended up using a Weaver V-3 (1x3x variable) and a hammer extension with Leupold 1" Low "Tip-Off" rings on the scope grooves. I keep it on 2X most of the time. Works great for the moderate ranges I usually shoot ground squirrels and jack rabbits (under 100 yards).

If you use low rings, you will need a hammer extension

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an M8 4x Leupold on my 9422 in, I believe, Millet RF rings. You just need something that allows you to keep the eyepiece behind the hammer. An extension can make it easier and safer to handle.

A scout-type scope might fit in front of the hammer, but I don't know if there's one with the right eye-relief. Generally, scouts ain't cheap either.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I did the Weaver slide on base and reg Burris rings.
It worked fine. No ext on the hammer either.
Had a Redfield Tracker 4X w 40mm front on it.

Ultimately I thought the scope on a 9422 looked horrible, so away it went. It would shoot off a ways horizontally (proly why it was mint when I got it used).
Scoped I was able to dial it in.
Shot decent groups, and a bud and I checked things out, couldn't see anything as to why it shot wide with irons.

Traded back where I got it. Scope went on another rifle.

Eyes suck now, sold my last 9422M a few yrs back (it shot fine, irons set dead center).

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The wife has a 2-7 Leupold rimfire on her 94/22m and does not need the hammer spur. She does have very small hands and fingers and that gives her extra clearance to manipulate the hammer. On her 94/22 lr she had a Marbles tang sight installed. That makes a nice looking and very effective squirrel set up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Porsche73
I am not sure if this should be in rim fire or lever action. Based on Internet advice I ordered Talley rings for my Model94/22m. Installation was a bit tricky but then mechanically. I am a disaster. I had planned to mount a Zeiss 1.8x5.5' but the hammer spur would not allow it. Others of this model have used a hammer spur to be able to mount a scope. I think the practical thing to do is find a reasonable fixed power, say 4x, or a small variable ,1.75x 6 or so. Can some one recommend a reasonably priced scope and do I need the hammer spur? It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do. Porsche73

I have the Leupold 4 power compact on my Trapper and it is perfect for looks and balance

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I fought my 9422M for all the 7-8 years that I had it trying to get a scope set up in a way I was happy with. It was a pain in the ass, always off-center in one direction or the other. I'd get it set up, wasn't happy, go back to the iron sights, wasn't happy, buy some other mount, try that, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Eventually I sold it. If I could have found a scope mount that wasn't off center I could have really loved that gun but enough is enough.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can find one of the old "baby" Redfield 3/4" 2x or 4x from the 60's they are perfect for a 94/22M. I have seen them on ebay, but they are pricey, around $300. There is a Chinese made copy presently being imported called the "Wolf Pup" and I have one that so far has been fine, and much cheaper than the Redfield.
You can check it out here:
http://www.grubeeinc.com/Wolf%20Pup%20Scope.htm

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A reflex-style red dot like the Fastfire or Vortex weighs next to nothing and with a 2- or 3- minute dot will allow you to shoot better than you would believe. They are very small and tidy and not nearly as offensive to tender levergun sensibilities as a scope. If you need glasses for distance, you may still need them with the dot.

huntsman22 has a bunch mounted on his rifles, I believe and may weigh in here with some pictures of his toys along with some dead rabbits.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/23/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
uhh, ok.....

on a BL22
[Linked Image]

on a 9422M.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 3,784 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,760
Posts18,535,694
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.