Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Personal experience always better than research reading.

July 1 through 8 out of Seattle up through the Inside Passage.

I've never cruised and developed some serious sea-sickness problems in my middle 30s. Like once I stop puking, I'll dry heave till my feet are back on earth ground. Karen has cruised and loves it. Never to or through Alaska, though.

Any tips, advice, precautions, packing, money carry, excursion suggestions that those in the know can offer me are appreciated.

Much obliged.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Paying big money to go on a vacation that's gonna make ya puke doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paying big money to go on a vacation that's gonna make ya puke doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Tourists chumming are why the halibut get so big.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Tourists chumming are why the halibut get so big.

I'll pass on the puke fed Halibut.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll pass on the puke fed Halibut.

Maybe bob can hold it in, like a fart.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Get some Bonine, take one or two a day starting the day before the trip. My wife is very prone to motion sickness, Bonine fixed that up with no drowsiness.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Get your Doc to give you some Transderm Scopolomine patches. They stick behind your ear and are good for 72 hrs each. Your mouth will be a little dry, but you won't be seasick.

It was pretty smooth inside when we went. The views from the ship are fantastic, lots of wildlife.

Be sure and take the train from Anchorage to Denali and stay a day or two if you can spare the time. It is spectacular...

Take a sidetrip out of Ketchikan (if you stop there) and catch some salmon.

We flew to Anchorage and after Denali our cruise was from Seward to Vancouver so yours might be a little different.

One of our very best vacations for sure.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe

-----------

I hear you but I've been convinced to give it a try because of the general calmness of the Inside Passage and the monstrous size of the boat.

I have a fall back plan if I get sick enough I can't take it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Where are the start and end, Bob?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the patch and go ! After afew days on the boat and couple hours drive u will finely be in Alaska.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to see and experience Alaska, don't ride past it in a big boat taking the occasional stop to buy trinkets sold by people shipped up for the summer to sell trinkets.

Can't comment on the various cruise operators as you couldn't pay me enough to get on one. Not to mention the all to frequent occurrences of the crew of said ships bringing aboard intestinal bugs and getting the passengers sick.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
Where are the start and end, Bob?

-----

Sit tight. I'll post itinerary.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I

Destination: Roundtrip Alaska Seating: Open
Embarkation: Seattle, Washington, Jul 01, 2016
Disembarkation: Seattle, Washington, Jul 08, 2016
Itinerary:
Seattle, Washington - At Sea - Ketchikan, Alaska - Tracy Arm, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska - Skagway, Alaska - Inside Passage - At Sea - Victoria, British Columbia - Seattle, Washington

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On Norwegian, Bob? You'll love the Pearl; great ship.

On our trip in mid-June we had only one storm and that was on the first night out. Neither Claudia nor I were affected but folk who berthed up near the bows weren't so lucky. The ship doesn't pitch much but what little it does is worse up front.

If you're on the Pearl, make sure to book the spa package the day you board. It's WELL worth it to hit the sauna, steam room, plunge pool, hydro-therapy pool - and OH! those wonderful heated mosaic couches...

The onboard art and jewelry "classes" are nothing more than promo pitches for the shore dealers. None of it is worth what you'll spend, but you're a decent judge of that kind of thing anyway.

Best shore excursions we took were the whale watching out of Juneau, the train ride at Skagway, and the gardens in Victoria.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good luck. You couldn't pay me to go on a cruise. I'd have more fun doing the AMH from Bellingham to Ketchikan, or some other leg and spending a few days in a town.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Probably worth the patch to prevent motion sickness, but should be fine Inside.

Not a trip for me either, but if that's what you want, have fun!

bring a high limit credit card and load it up at the stops. Bring plenty of cash and leave it in state! thank you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Bucket list stuff, for both of us, Scott. Because I booked earlier last year and paid 2500 up front, I locked the trip in for just under 6K with some thrown in bennies for us easily led tourists.

Rocky...paid a premium for middle of the ship, higher up with balcony. Someone said middle of ship best if you're a barfer. Signed up las March and have until April this year to finish paying the tab but paid it up December. Karen gets her Captain Morgan for free and we got 1500 I think in some ship credits, for whatever that's worth. We were thinking of a helicopter ride over the Tracy Arm but haven't pulled the trigger. Whale watching trip if we don't see them from ship. I've seen plenty in my lifetime but Karen has never seen them.

We're on the Celebrity Solstice, their largest, newest ship.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I took the patch for a 24 hour shark and tuna fishing trip out of NC many,many years ago. It not only dried up every mucous membrane I have, it also made me very tired. I didn't puke but I didn't feel like dancing either.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try bonine, my wife uses it when we go out in the ocean. Gets rid of her motion sickness and no fatigue.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bob,

Understand the bucket list. One off of our list will be next month when we head out on our Alaskan cruise with this outfit. wink

http://www.alaskahunting.com/

We did a few cruises (Bahamas and the Gulf) when the boys were young and all had a great time. Spending a bit on a quality room is a good idea.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,420
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.