Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Gentleman,

Please excuse my ignorance on a subject so common to you Westerners but I am from the very flat (and wet) lands of coastal SC so therein lies the basis of my questions. It is on my bucket list to do several western/mountain hunts for mulies and elk hopefully before my health and age run out. For now I would like to become accustomed to shooting with a bi-pod. We literally have no need for them here given the topography (or lack of).

My first question is what is the best all around bi-pod length (extendable) for prone shooting on flat ground such as at a range and yet still be suitable for most mountainous hunting applications. I guess another way to ask would be if you had but one extendable bi-pod for hunting out west in mountainous states, what length range would you pick?

Second, would it be swivel or rigid mount?

Thanks for your advice,

P-Man

Last edited by Offshoreman; 03/20/16.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use bipods but I have guided many friends, family and guests who did bring rifles equipped with bipods. I can remember only a couple of times that the bipods were used to take an animal. Most of the time, the vegetation was too high or the terrain required finding a higher rest.

The two exceptions were with pronghorns. Even then, one young man had to rest his fully extended bipod on my back and butt, as I lay prone, to get a clear shot at the buck that he wanted.

I just don't think that the return for the cost and the weight is great enough to justify carrying them on a rifle for mountain hunting. At our shoot over in the Tonto Basin a few weeks ago, a couple of the guys had to use a weed eater to clear the range so that they could use their bipods in the turkey rim shoot. The ground cover there is what I would call sparse and certainly shortgrass.

YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bipods where I live are generally not doable. Ground cover in most areas is too tall. I use an extendable walking stick with a V on top. Most bipods simply aren't tall enough. I've never taken a prone shot here in 30 years. Prone is nice when plinking in a designated spot, but our sage is generally too tall.

Used a bipod three times on a lope hunt, worked great in that country.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forgive me for going off-topic. I've hunted for decades in NC and since 2003 in Arizona. I have never shot, nor seen any one else shoot, in either state, a game animal that could have been taken with a bipod. I have not hunted pronghorn.

I use this:
http://www.huntsinc.com/m-5-gun-claw-rifle-vise.aspx

Out here a tripod is a must anyway. My last big game shot with a decent tripod and this device resulted in a turret-steady hold at 613 yards. I was seated using the tripod adjusted accordingly. The shot went as planned. Terrain would not have allowed a bipod.

However, for practice and fun a bipod may be a hoot.

Regardless of gear, I wish you the very best in western hunting.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go with the 12-25"(or the 13.5-27"), either way get a swivel model.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/572600/harris-s-25-bipod-sling-swivel-stud-mount-12-to-25-black

I really like a bipod for some of the country I hunt, been using them since I was a little kid. Shot several pronghorn and mule deer using one.

Use the shorter version for all my load workup and prone target practice.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Offshoreman,

My bipod is a B-square because they are very light and work. Last year I used one that was 13"-27" but was too high for easy prone. That one is the one the guide thought was best. Now I have one that starts at about 11" and goes to 15". Because the ends are threaded I can add as many 6" tube as I wish.

It stays in the backpack most of the time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
P-Man,

I know you specifically asked about bipods, but you might take a serious look at shooting sticks such as these;

[color:#FF0000][b]Bog-Pod[/b][/color]

In the last couple of years I have learned to appreciate the steadiness of these sticks and they can double as a walking staff. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I know many hunters around Tucson that use a Harris bi-pod. While some use the 9-12", more use the 25S as mentioned earlier.

We all hunt coues wt and shoot them at long distances. I also like to use the bi-pod buddy instead of a small bag. http://www.bipodbuddy.com/index.html I use the big buddy.

I often carry the bi-pod when elk hunting unless I know I will be stalking the wooded north facing slopes.

We practice with bi-pods all the time shooting rock rats, jackrabbits and the occasional coyote as well as long range steel. When calling coyotes I have found the bi-pod to be a handicap.

This guy has a great tutorial on how to he uses a bi-pod.

http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/20/16.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
9-13 Champion pivot lock bipod for about $79 at Sportsmans.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Agree with you Sam....

I like Harris swivel model the best. I also use cross sticks quite a bit...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Harris swivel.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014VQ0RG/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I told Amazon that is wrong pick and they said I was wrong.
Harris can get the pic right.
I have lots, and I like the 9-13" S model
http://www.harrisbipods.com/

I have a number of aftermarket "pod lock" handles. They are all good.

Harris S:
Better than the non swivel Harris.
Much better than the imitation Harris bipods.
Barely better than the much more expensive Atlas bipod

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Agree with you Sam....

I like Harris swivel model the best. I also use cross sticks quite a bit...

Exactly. Hard to beat a Harris swivel, add a pod lock and you're good to go. Sticks for the tall stuff, bi-pod for most of the rest.

Last edited by davidlea; 03/22/16.

Golden............
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Btw, there is a big difference between the cheap Harris knock off bi-pods and the real thing. Spend right the first time, a top of the line one is a great investment.

Golden............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Generally, for mountain hunting, the bipod will add quite a bit of weight. That being said, if you do have one, it can be a great help at certain times.

I have a Harris and it works well, when it is indeed usable. I have used my backpack for a rest on elk hunts and had good results.

If I had the money to throw at it, I would be tempted to buy the bipod that Bob Beck sells in his Long Range Hunting Store. It is versatile and light.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks Guys - you all gave me alot to think about

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by davidlea
Btw, there is a big difference between the cheap Harris knock off bi-pods and the real thing. Spend right the first time, a top of the line one is a great investment.

I have a caldwell swivel style , that came with a lock on it and all I did was tighten up some of the nuts and loctited them in place. They don't have notches like some Harris models but other wise perfectly serviceable.
I really only use Bipods east of town(Prairie, antelope jacks, pds and such) west of town(mountains., mostly elk ) I take them off.....
I can only remember one antelope I have shot without a bipod, but the grass here is short and sparse and the rolling terrain perfect to use a 9-13" model. And I have used 6-9' models successfully.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been practicing lately for next month's hog and sheep hunt. On level ground I discovered 13" is about right for me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really haven't found much mountain mule deer and elk country where they were actually necessary,despite a lot of hunting for both. The terrain is frequently uneven,vegetated, and they are slow to set up so I never use them. I don't use sticks either but consider them faster and more versatile and I'd be mrelikely to carry those rather than a bipod,

In some country they can be useful. I am looking for a good lightweight model as most are ridiculously heavy and awkward attachments to a rifle. I have been using one at the range for 500-600 yard shooting. 400 yards on in I can't see a use for them on any BG animal the size of mule deer and elk. But I don't shoot much game at 600 yards anyway and my 500 yard elk have been killed prone over a pack or a pair of bins stuffed onto the ground.

For most el and mule deer hunting any decent field rest or a pack should suffice. I'd spend the money on a good stick like a Stoney Brook and get used to that instead. Can be used from the sit and gets above vegetation.

Another thing I don't like about bipods is depending on the things.You can't always use them and I'd rather find ways to hit effectively without them, like field positions or a sling, which I can use under more conditions than a bipod.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We use bipods quite a bit in eastern Montana hunting but when we head to the mountains the bipods come off and the shooting sticks come with. Can't remember a time when I could have used a bipod while in the mountains. Either there's to much vegetation or the snow is to deep. At least if you throw your pack down and use it for a rest it will sit up on the snow better than the legs of your bipod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I am looking for a good lightweight model

look no further than Snipe-Pod......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,234
Posts18,504,419
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.