Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Stevil
Wolves are giving the Ecosystem the balance it needs.

The benefits of having a large Apex predators shouldnt be judged by some marginal Cattle freeloaders or a lazy Elk hunter.

Sure there will always be 'colateral damage' but the overall improvement in biodiversity far out ways the small minority.

Citation for any of the statements you made, misspelling notwithstanding?

Montana MOFO
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the AZGFD

Mexican Wolf Update
February 1-29, 2016

CURRENT POPULATION STATUS

Project personnel concluded the end-of-year population count on February 6. As a result of survey and capture efforts associated with the count, the collared population at the end of February 2016 consisted of 50 wolves with functional radio collars dispersed among 18 packs and 2 single wolves. The overall minimum population estimate for the wolf population in 2015 was 97.

Note: In accordance with Standard Operating Procedure 27.0, the end-of-the-year population count is a minimum count with no range of numbers or associated statistical confidence intervals. The count includes three components:
1. All current radio-collared wolves and their pack associates being monitored as of December 31 of each year;
2. Radio-collared wolves whose collars are not functioning, but for which evidence exists indicating they were likely to
have been alive on December 31, as determined by the IFT;
3. Uncollared wolves confirmed by IFT personnel anytime during November, December and January.

IN ARIZONA:
Bear Wallow Pack (collared m1338 and f1335)
In February the Bear Wallow Pack was located within their traditional territory in the east-central portion of the ASNF and the northeast portion of SCAR.

Bluestem Pack (collared AF1042, AM1341, m1331, f1333, m1382, m1404, and f1443)
In February, the Bluestem Pack continued to use their traditional territory in the central portion of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest (ASNF). Bluestem wolves’ AM1341, m1382 and f1443 have been located in their traditional territory during the month, while m1331, f1333, and f1405 have been located separate from the pack. Wolf m1331 has been located in the north-east portion of the GNF in New Mexico in January. Wolf f1333 has been traveling with the Hoodoo Pack. Wolf m1404 has been documented traveling with f1405 of the Buckalou pack. The IFT has been conducting a predation study on the Bluestem Pack during the month of February, visiting and analyzing potential kill sites and associated prey items.

Buckalou Pack (collared M1161 and f1405)
Wolf m1404 from the Bluestem pack was documented traveling with f1405 during this month. M1161 has a non-functional radio collar. The IFT has been unable to document M1161 traveling with the Buckalou Pack since m1404 began traveling with f1405.

Elk Horn Pack (collared AF1294 and M1342)
In February, the Elk Horn Pack continued to make broad movements within their traditional territory in the northeast portion of the ASNF.

Hawks Nest Pack (collared AM1038, M1383, and mp1453)
In February, the Hawks Nest Pack was located within their traditional territory in the north central portion of the ASNF. Wolf f1439 has remained with M1296 of the Mangas Pack in the northwestern portion of the GNF in New Mexico and is now officially part of the Mangas pack. AF1280 died this month.

Hoodoo Pack (collared AM1290 and mp1441)
In February, the Hoodoo Pack remained localized in the north-central portion of the ASNF. AM1290 has been located traveling with Bluestem F1333. AM1290, F1333, and mp1441 have continued traveling together this month.

Marble Pack (collared AM1243, mp1440, and fp1442)
In February, the Marble Pack was located in their traditional territory in the northwest-central portion of the ASNF. The IFT has been conducting a predation study on the Marble Pack during the month of February.

Maverick Pack (collared AM1183 and AF1291)
During February, the Maverick Pack was located within their traditional territory both on the FAIR and ASNF. The IFT has observed 2 uncollared wolves traveling with the pack this month.

Panther Creek Pack (F1339 and M1394)
During February, the Panther Creek Pack has been located in the east-central portion of the ASNF. The IFT observed 2 collared wolves with this pack in January.

ON THE FAIR:

Diamond Pack (collared M1249, f1437, mp1447, and mp1454)
During February, the Diamond Pack was located in the eastern portion of the FAIR and the north portion of the ASNF. M1249 and f1437 spent the majority of the month on the FAIR and mp1447 and mp1454 spent the majority of the month on the ASNF.

Tsay o Ah Pack (collared M1343, AF1283, fp1445)
During February, the Tsay o Ah Pack was located in the eastern portion of the FAIR.

IN NEW MEXICO:

Coronado Pack (collared AM1051)
AM1051 of the Coronado Pack was not located in February.

Dark Canyon Pack (collared AM992, AF923, M1293, m1354, m1347, and fp1444)
During February, the IFT located this pack within its traditional territory in the west-central portion of the Gila National Forest (GNF). M1293 was not located in February and mp1444 displayed movements suggesting possible dispersal. M1347 was located outside the Dark Canyon Pack territory for most of February.

Fox Mountain Pack (collared m1396)
In February, the IFT documented the Fox Mountain Pack within their new territory in in the north central portion of the GNF. Wolf m1396 was documented traveling with AF1115 of the Luna Pack in mid-February.

Iron Creek Pack (collared AM1240 and AF1278)
During February, the Iron Creek Pack continued to utilize their territory in the northern portion of the Gila Wilderness and the southern portion of the GNF.

Lava Pack (collared mp1446)
In February, the Lava Pack was located in its traditional territory between the Gila Wilderness and the Elk Mountains

Luna Pack (collared AM1155, AF1115, and m1398)
During February, the Luna Pack remained in their traditional territory in the north-central portion of the GNF. The IFT continues to document dispersal behavior of m1398 traveling mainly in portions of the GNF in New Mexico. In mid-February, AM1155 was documented separate from the Luna Pack and AF1115 was located traveling with m1396 of the Fox Mountain Pack. During February AF1115 and m1396 of the Fox Mountain were involved in the death of two cows; the IFT has initiated hazing efforts and established a diversionary food cache.

Prieto Pack (collared m1386, mp1445 and f1392)
During February, the Prieto Pack was located within their traditional territory in the north-central portion of the GNF. On February 4, during the annual population survey, an uncollared wolf was captured, collared, released and assigned studbook number mp1455. Wolf f1392 has continued to be located with single wolf M1284 in the north-central portion of the GNF during February.

San Mateo Pack (collared M1345)
During February, the San Mateo Pack was located within their traditional territory in the north eastern portions of the GNF.

Mangas Pack (collared M1296, F1439)
During February, M1296 was located traveling with dispersing wolf f1439 from the Hawks Nest Pack in north western portions of the GNF in New Mexico. In February, f1439 became a member of the Mangas Pack, having been located traveling with M1296 for three months.

M1284 (collared)
During February, the IFT located M1284 traveling with dispersing wolf f1392 from the Prieto Pack within the GNF in New Mexico. On February 4, during the annual population survey, M1284 was captured and recollared.

MORTALITIES

In February, AF1280 from the Hawks Nest Pack was located dead in Arizona. The incident is under investigation.

INCIDENTS

During February, there were 8 livestock depredation reports involving wolves and no nuisance reports.

On February 8, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Cerro Montosa in Arizona. The investigation confirmed the cow was killed by wolves and assigned to uncollared wolves, or uncollared wolves associated with the Diamond Pack.

On February 9, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Cerro Montosa in Arizona. The investigation confirmed the cow was killed by wolves. The depredation was assigned to the Diamond Pack.

On February 20, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Y canyon in New Mexico. The investigation determined the cow was killed by wolves. The depredation was assigned to Luna Pack AF1115 and m1396 of the Fox Mountain Pack.

On February 23, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Y canyon in New Mexico. The investigation determined the cow died from calving complications.

On February 24, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Y canyon in New Mexico. The investigation determined the cow was killed by wolves. The depredation was assigned to Luna Pack AF1115 and m1396 of the Fox Mountain Pack.

On February 24, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Hard Castle Gap in New Mexico. The investigation determined that the calf died of natural causes.

On February 24, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Hard Castle Gap in New Mexico. The investigation determined that the cow died if unknown causes.

On February 29, Wildlife Services investigated a dead cow near Y canyon in New Mexico. The investigation determined the cow died of unknown causes, but likely calving complications

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stevil what planet are you from!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Callnum: I stand by all my contentions and NOTHING you have burped up has changed my mind even an iota.
I count among my several friends two Montana Game Warden Biologists and I get some of my information from them.
I also get some of my information from scientific studies and population studies.
IF... you think "the Bitterroot" has as big a problem with Wolves then you, my fine feathered friend are "stupid"!
The Bitterroot has no where near the Wolf populations as MANY other areas of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
Think Wolves don't kill Bighorns - heres just ONE refutation of that idiotic contention.
Myself and my ice fishing partner were having lunch at the Dell-Calfa (in Dell, Montana) when in comes a game warden biologist and his pilot - they were censusing Elk after the season. We struck up a conversation and we were told that they had just witnessed a "pack of Wolves" west of there that had killed and were eating on 3 Bighorn Sheep Rams!
They would not give us the exact mountain the Sheep were killed on (fearing we would fetch up the Rams skulls?) but they relayed how Wolf predation was adding a whole new dynamic to Sheep populations!
A couple of years later the Bighorn Sheep quota in that district was severely restricted!
About 5 years ago our sportsmens organization invited one local game warden biologist to give a talk to our meeting.
I will never forget the tears in his eyes when he informed us that "due to Wolf predation" he was recommending the Moose tags be severely cut back in three local areas and eliminated all together in another!
You again, my fine feathered friend ARE the stupid one - if you even really believe your drivel.
Another proof of your lack of intelligence is YOU pretending to KNOW whom I vote for!
You are not only stupid you are arrogant!
Try to keep your remarks confined to something YOU know SOMETHING about (i.e. like how far up your ass your head is planted!)!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Stevil what planet are you from!

Moronica....

"BioDiversity"..... another leftist created word...

Disney'esque Ideology vs The Real World...

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire

"BioDiversity"..... another leftist created word...

No, it's not.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
VG, I couldn't get passed "game warden biologist" in your post without a laugh. Shows what you know.

So did you vote for Debbie Barrett and do you know about her HB42? Do you know about the 6 month shoulder season coming to 42 hunting districts that are over objective and FWP has to kill 1000's of elk because of her bill? All this might be good cafe talk.

Do you know about the Tendoy sheep and disease ?

Have you read the wrap up of the 3year elk study in the Root?

Show me where I said wolves don't kill sheep. You seem to have trouble understanding what you read. I will type slow for you, my slow witted friend. I said disease is the main factor in sheep die offs.

Why would the "game warden biologist" fear you would fetch the sheep horns? Do you look like someone that would break a game law?

I can tell there is a lot you don't know and what little you do know comes from cafe gossips and the "game warden biologist" , what ever that is. Hint-get out of the cafe, you may really learn something.

Last edited by callnum; 03/23/16.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
callnum, most of the guys that post on wolf threads are clueless. VG isn't alone. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

There are many copies.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good info website about real wolves, not the Disneyland species

Wolf International

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lets get some real stats heren and some perspective

In the year for which statistics are most recently available for Oregon (2010):

Oregon was home to over 1.3 million cows.
55,000 died before they made it to the slaughterhouse.

Over, 1,200 were stolen by human thieves Malheur County alone over a 3-year period.

A single train accident in Klamath County killed two dozen cows in 2011.

Less than two dozen have been killed by wolves in the last decade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, elk numbers have increased over the last 25 years in every state with wolves – including Oregon. The fall 2009 edition of the Bugle states that over the last 15 years while Montana’s wolf population has grown from 48 to 497, elk numbers have increased from 94,000 to 150,000. Meanwhile, the success rate of elk hunters increased from 16.7% to 21.5% !

Wolves are opportunistic and therefore much more likely to harvest the weakest animals and in turn increase the overall fitness of prey species. Trophy human hunters on the other hand are more likely to kill the biggest, fittest animals.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
lets get some real stats heren and some perspective

In the year for which statistics are most recently available for Oregon (2010):

Oregon was home to over 1.3 million cows.
55,000 died before they made it to the slaughterhouse.

Over, 1,200 were stolen by human thieves Malheur County alone over a 3-year period.

A single train accident in Klamath County killed two dozen cows in 2011.

If you believe this you would believe Hillary has done nothing wrong in her life.

Less than two dozen have been killed by wolves in the last decade.

That's two dozen not available to hunters.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
According to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, elk numbers have increased over the last 25 years in every state with wolves – including Oregon. The fall 2009 edition of the Bugle states that over the last 15 years while Montana’s wolf population has grown from 48 to 497, elk numbers have increased from 94,000 to 150,000. Meanwhile, the success rate of elk hunters increased from 16.7% to 21.5% !

Wolves are opportunistic and therefore much more likely to harvest the weakest animals and in turn increase the overall fitness of prey species. Trophy human hunters on the other hand are more likely to kill the biggest, fittest animals.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was purchased by an anti-hunting organization and does just enough to keep the hunters sending them money. They will say anything to protect wolves which take elk and deer away from hunters.

This is a bunch of baloney. Every watch nature shows? Wolves take some fantastic bull elk.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

you are so outta touch with reality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the reality is none of you have countered with any facts, I come from 6th generation sheep farmers and I suspect I know alot more about the struggles of being on the land and predation of livestock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ringman if as you say the RMEF is owned by an Anti Hunting Org ??

Then why would it support the Bipartisan Sportsman Act of 2014 which protects the use of traditional ammunition, allows more flexibility for federal funds to be used to build and maintain ranges on public lands and ensures access to federal lands for hunting, shooting and other outdoor activities ?

Seems like you make up alot of Bullshit to suit youre agenda ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7I7Wkh1JA

Yep definitely seems like an ANTI Hunting Organisation !!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
[quote]
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was purchased by an anti-hunting organization and does just enough to keep the hunters sending them money. They will say anything to protect wolves which take elk and deer away from hunters.[quote]

Of course you have proof of this bat [bleep] crazy statement, right Ringman?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,027
Posts18,481,812
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.