-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing against you, but I've heard enough about "perfectly hit" deer that weren't recovered……more than likely they were poorly hit but nobody wants to admit that they screwed up.

For lots of years I had a dog or dogs that would trail crippled deer. The only deer that I was called to hunt for that was not a poor shot when recovered was one shot with a muzzle loader and the idiot that called me, did not know where the deer went. He took me to where he last saw the deer and my dog could not get anything going, so I told him to take me to where the deer was standing when he shot it. My dog, at once went over to the deer that was less than 25 yds from where he shot it, in the other direction. Just across a fence row. All others were bad hits and most were still alive when I found them. There were lots of them too. I should have kept up with the numbers but did not. I am now dog-less for crippled deer for the first time in probably 20-25 yrs. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BruinPoint
Originally Posted by Waders
And 43 gr of Varget grouped at .167".

Just curious about the rifle you're working with.

It's a Rem 700 Mtn Guide. I bought it used so I don't really know anything else about it. Supposedly it was a distributor run for Cabela's (I think). With just Talley LW's on it, it weighs 5 lbs 14.6 oz. Add in a plain jane VX-II 3-9x40, BC flip ups, and 4 rounds of ammo, and it weighs 6 lbs 14 oz.

I've owned it for several years but have never hunted with it and rarely shot it at all. When it arrived my nephew saw it, and suddenly he wanted me to take him hunting with his new gun! (What could I do??) So, I finally got the rifle back this year and decided to toy with it.

I'm looking forward to shooting more of the 120 BT's. The recoil was minimal. Yesterday I was shooting this gun and my .280AI. I never considered the .280AI a big kicker, but next to this 7-08 and the 120 BT's, the .280 felt like my Whelen shooting 250 gr bullets.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wareagle700
What's a reasonable velocity to expect with the 120's from a 22" barrel,

I'm getting 3000 from my M70 with 45gr Varget and trying to decide if it's worth working up any more.

Keep an eye out for Big Game. I get 3115 fps mv with my SL T3, great accuracy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BruinPoint
And 43 gr of Varget grouped at .167".

Just curious about the rifle you're working with.

It's a Rem 700 Mtn Guide. I bought it used so I don't really know anything else about it. Supposedly it was a distributor run for Cabela's (I think). With just Talley LW's on it, it weighs 5 lbs 14.6 oz. Add in a plain jane VX-II 3-9x40, BC flip ups, and 4 rounds of ammo, and it weighs 6 lbs 14 oz.

I've owned it for several years but have never hunted with it and rarely shot it at all. When it arrived my nephew saw it, and suddenly he wanted me to take him hunting with his new gun! (What could I do??) So, I finally got the rifle back this year and decided to toy with it.

I'm looking forward to shooting more of the 120 BT's. The recoil was minimal. Yesterday I was shooting this gun and my .280AI. I never considered the .280AI a big kicker, but next to this 7-08 and the 120 BT's, the .280 felt like my Whelen shooting 250 gr bullets.

Thanks - from what I gather on Google you're right about it being a Cabela's distributor run and it came in .243, 7mm-08, and .308, maybe others? Interesting rifle, thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is correct. The Mtn Guide was made for Cabelas - the blued version, and for Gander Mtn in stainless. Most are great little rifles, I had a stainless in .243 - sold it which I wish I hadn't. They are tough to find these days.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
That is correct. The Mtn Guide was made for Cabelas - the blued version, and for Gander Mtn in stainless. Most are great little rifles...

Mine is the blued version, so I guess it is the Cabela's version. It has a great stock.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I ordered some of these bullets awhile back and finally got a chance to shoot a few today. I decided to try a few mid-book loads from Nosler, just to see where I was at with them.

42 grains of RL-15 grouped at 1.15". 48.5 gr of H414 grouped at .697". And 43 gr of Varget grouped at .167". Obviously I don't expect sub .2" groups in the future, but you take them when you can get them, and hopefully they'll stay at .75" as I work up the speed. I am going to work up the H414 load too and see what it does at max.

Here's a pic of the group from the Varget load:
[Linked Image]

My daughters load

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
K
I am going to go out on a limb here..

Simple question here……..how do you know they were hit "perfectly" if you didn't recover them??

Simple answer, you can't and don't!

I will beg to differ...I have never seen this guy miss a shot in the almost 22 years I have seen him shoot. I showed your "response" up at our briefing room and it got quite a few laughs. My team and myself trust this man's marksmanship with our lives everyday. You see just to get on my range to try and qualify for my team you have to shoot 5 out of 5 20 oz soft drink bottle caps at 100 meters in 15 seconds supported.

What he didn't tell you about the "shoulder" shot that was lost after 100 yards was the deer had entered the field and after being shot, it turned 180 degrees and bounded for safe territory...now maybe you have some skill or special gland substance that causes the animals you engage to just sally up to the truck, jump up in the truck, expel their guts and in dying fall into the cooler perfectly..I don't know..but I do know that if you hunt long enough..you will finally meet the " one that got away"..

Another thing I do know..especially after reading your "most learned comments" is you GonHuntin, are a cancer. You attack what you can't understand or satisfy your own pathetic standards of truth. You spread hate and disinformation just like a cancer or a bacterial infection...funny thing is you will come up with some vauge diatribe trying to justify your existance and in doing so...will prove the truth of my words and ultimately..show just how the truth stings...I guess your "sig" has you pegged for sure...

Sad thing is with so many cancers these days being discovered..its really like suffering a boil on ones tenderloins..something you just have to do because..well they just have not developed a cure for people/things like you yet. In closing I will again state I have trusted..do trust and will continue to trust "CrazyCritters"
abilities with the tools of his profession...but something tells me you couldn't be trusted with a "SuperSoaker" full of warm urine and not enage yourself...I think everyone here really knows whom is "hampered"...and whom has "ethics"...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boys, we got us a genuine sniper here!!

Funny, I don't recall having ever met you, yet you "know" so much about me?? What "disinformation" did I spread?

And, you didn't answer the simple question so I'll ask it again.

How do you know they were hit "perfectly" if you didn't recover them??

Maybe your friend should stick to shooting bottle caps……….

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show up here with a thin skin and leave all butt-hurt.

Happy trails...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

K
K
Sniper?? No I don't need to carry the B4 ASI anymore.. ROFLMAO..no one needs any of the skills associated with that profession to identify and engage your kind..one only has to follow the trail of slime and stench there GonHuntin..and then avoid steppin in the steaming pile. The qualities mentioned beforehand identify you most readily..and yeah he shoots those bottle caps every week..something that you and the aforementioned "SuperSoaker" couldn't do at 5 feet...except run down that dogs hind leg of yours...but I degress...since I was there when he shot the deer and you were not..it's easy to see again your expertise in this matter is once again a product of your cancerous, syphaletic little mind. You state your "opinion" as fact..that somehow you have gleened the absolute bare bones truth..too bad you haven't turned that pridal eye on yourself and discovered the hollow shell and the cow chip filler for yourself..I mean since you have encountered all those that tell tall tales of hunters/shooters and can identify them at extreme ranges...looks like you learned more from the encounter than they did from all that expertise...once again your "sig" fits you like a glove...heck I like it..it's your sad attempt at a public service..you meet and greet and give a warning all in one..glad to see you finally excel at something other than making co2 for trees

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oughtta be a prima donna prima doofus forum here.

Hey rick...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kriegwulfe
Sniper?? No I don't need to carry the B4 ASI anymore.. ROFLMAO..no one needs any of the skills associated with that profession to identify and engage your kind..one only has to follow the trail of slime and stench there GonHuntin..and then avoid steppin in the steaming pile. The qualities mentioned beforehand identify you most readily..and yeah he shoots those bottle caps every week..something that you and the aforementioned "SuperSoaker" couldn't do at 5 feet...except run down that dogs hind leg of yours...but I degress...since I was there when he shot the deer and you were not..it's easy to see again your expertise in this matter is once again a product of your cancerous, syphaletic little mind. You state your "opinion" as fact..that somehow you have gleened the absolute bare bones truth..too bad you haven't turned that pridal eye on yourself and discovered the hollow shell and the cow chip filler for yourself..I mean since you have encountered all those that tell tall tales of hunters/shooters and can identify them at extreme ranges...looks like you learned more from the encounter than they did from all that expertise...once again your "sig" fits you like a glove...heck I like it..it's your sad attempt at a public service..you meet and greet and give a warning all in one..glad to see you finally excel at something other than making co2 for trees

Answer the question……….

How do you know they were hit "perfectly" if you didn't recover them??

You can't and don't!

I do have cancer and have lost family members to the disease, count yourself lucky if you have not been affected by it.

More interesting stuff from "Kriegwulfe"….is it the same person?? You decide....

http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13178&start=20

Re: Off table artilery and buildings.
Postby Kriegwulfe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:13 am

I am a whole lot confused on the responces to this querry.

First- Off Table Artillery denotes a) its artillery and b) its indirect fire as its off the board and has no direct line of sight to the target, requiring the use of a spotter ( hence quantifying INDIRECT {artillery} fire ).

Secondly- The HE Rule found in the rulebook (page 53 ) is for use of those weapons that have a dual purpose. LIke the DP gun an M4 Sherman or the StuG III with the 105mm gun, or the short 75mm gun found on early Pz IV's. It was an infantry support gun that could fire AP rounds..just not very effective at long ranges.

This being said, page 64 puts it rather simply.

Artillery Barrage Chart (i.e. NOT IN BUILDINGS)

1) Roll d6. A 4.5 or 6 equates a hit by artillery. (careful of that fateful "1")..lol

2) Roll d6 for AOE 6" + d6= AOE (area of effect)

3)Roll d6 for EACH unit affected IN the AOE. On a result of 1-5, d3 pin markers. On a 6 the unit suffers a 3d6 with a +4 pen factor and d6 pin markers. Vehicles are hit on their TOP armor value.

IF the targeted unit goes into the "down position" clearly stating this BEFORE ANY ROLLS are made, all hits are then divided by half.

Page 103 identifies " Shooting HE weapons against buildings".

Each floor should have been rolled for the "detonation" of the artillery round. d6 with a 4,5,or 6 causing immediate explosion on the topmost floor..1,2,or 3 means it penetrated THAT floor and you roll for the floor underneath continuing until the HE round explodes or it goes to the bottom floor. Hits are resolved vs. those units deployed or found on the floor affected by the explosion. Units can get into the "down" position as well to mitigate the damage to one half. ( if multiple units go into the down position, you have just derived "soft kills" to units for one turn effectively taking "X" number of order dice out of the bucket).

On HE shots that have 2d6 or better you need to check for the building damage. Use the unit that was affected by the blast. No care is given by what floor the explosion occurred on..just total the number of hits inflicted to a units ON THAT FLOOR ONLY to determine the required 12+ hits to denote the destruction of the building. ( "roll to determine the number of hits inflicted as usual. IF the TOTAL number of HITS SCORED is twelve or more then the building is blown to rubble and all infantry and artillery units are destroyed." and " replace the building with a ruined building model")

You will notice that nothing is said about " All units in 6" plus d6 radius to the blast are affected". Page 103 covers this situation most clearly IMHO. Also reading the rules you will notice that when it comes to building destruction, no mention is made "total of hits to any one unit" it says " total hits scored".

I hope this might clarify the issue. Somewhere I read a similar incident on the Miniwargames forum as well. :jeep
Kriegwulfe
Slave

Also found accounts for "Kriegwulfe" at:

http://robotechrpgtactics.boards.net/user/245/activity

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/9847701/

May have an award winner in our midst??
[Linked Image]

Cancer Sucks
K
K
Johnw..sounds like you would be at the forefront there..you define exactly what you are whining about..are you advocating or decrying the fact you do not have your own personal blog so you can spew just a bit more?..someone comes in here and states something..but since there is no video..no crowd of hunters to validate it..the easiest thing to do is discount it.. call the person a liar and when they become offended..they are the problem...seems you have just posted your family tree rising up from the local bridge..thank you for doing that..others might be surprised..others might have already known..Are you by chance related to the Clintons?

GonHuntin - I don't need to answer it..I was there..watched the small little puff of where the bullet hit..but more importantly, how do you seem to know exactly what happened without being there..how do you KNOW he didn't? oh that's right, you assumed and lumped him into a group you find sooo aggrevating. Side note..why do you find these people so aggrevating? Is it because they call to you or are you their altar boy in disguise?....I mean..I am getting the picture that you are one of those great hunters that claim they never knew how they killed someone because the weapon was unloaded...because you just KNEW man..its like you were/are using the force or something..just as you can use words to imply CrazyCritter was lying..I can say it out load as I did in the last post where you were described as full of cow chips...you are definately a forest for the trees kind of pattie...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The butthurt is strong in this one...

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the forum. Are you always this pleasant?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sensitive!

Last edited by bushrat; 03/25/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Simple question here……..how do you know they were hit "perfectly" if you didn't recover them??

I will beg to differ...I have never seen this guy miss a shot in the almost 22 years I have seen him shoot. I showed your "response" up at our briefing room and it got quite a few laughs. My team and myself trust this man's marksmanship with our lives everyday. You see just to get on my range to try and qualify for my team you have to shoot 5 out of 5 20 oz soft drink bottle caps at 100 meters in 15 seconds supported.

What he didn't tell you about the "shoulder" shot that was lost after 100 yards was the deer had entered the field and after being shot, it turned 180 degrees and bounded for safe territory...now maybe you have some skill or special gland substance that causes the animals you engage to just sally up to the truck, jump up in the truck, expel their guts and in dying fall into the cooler perfectly..I don't know..but I do know that if you hunt long enough..you will finally meet the " one that got away"..

Another thing I do know..especially after reading your "most learned comments" is you GonHuntin, are a cancer. You attack what you can't understand or satisfy your own pathetic standards of truth. You spread hate and disinformation just like a cancer or a bacterial infection...funny thing is you will come up with some vauge diatribe trying to justify your existance and in doing so...will prove the truth of my words and ultimately..show just how the truth stings...I guess your "sig" has you pegged for sure...

Sad thing is with so many cancers these days being discovered..its really like suffering a boil on ones tenderloins..something you just have to do because..well they just have not developed a cure for people/things like you yet. In closing I will again state I have trusted..do trust and will continue to trust "CrazyCritters"
abilities with the tools of his profession...but something tells me you couldn't be trusted with a "SuperSoaker" full of warm urine and not enage yourself...I think everyone here really knows whom is "hampered"...and whom has "ethics"...

Wonder who this guy is. Larry Root?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Wonder who this guy is. Larry Root?
If not, certainly a disciple. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
K
I want to thank ol GonHuntin for offering me admittance to his Oh So Special Club..the Keyboard Commandos..seems like since he has the patch all ready..and apparently controls the entry..he must be the leader of that group and the self appointed winner..and since it must be lonely there..has offered entry. Looks like that bullet I shot recently really hit home and cause ol GonHuntin to get fired up and yet again show his true colors. Didn't take much for that to pop like an oversized zit..they say it really doesn't sting unless of course its the truth there GonHuntin..

I am also certainly impressed and flattered with the time he spent trolling all of the internet finding postings from people using the name "Kriegewulfe". Just as I pointed out in an earlier post..sad sakking simkpleton proved up..trying despretately to prove his own existance, heck even trying to pull up some kind of dirt. This again shows that if he cannot explain it with a self inflated opinion being force melded into a small factoid..he has to run some kind of estranged smear campaign. Oh My God, someone using a screen name of "Kriegwulfe" commented on something..had to go look and its a game..certainly some sensitive information there. When I get around to it I will probably use the patch pic there to make it my profile pic and give credit to GonHuntin for admittance to his special group. I will forever live in the shadow created by GonHunting in his ability to Keyboard Kommando, I am in awe of his displayed mad skillz in this endeavor.

I was not surprised to hear you suffer from cancer. There are statistically 1.25 million new cases of cancer every year with approximately 525,000 yearly or about 1500 deaths daily. The stigma of suffering from cancer doesn't bring on the rush of emotions like it used to. Also changing your "sig" to something like " Personal Experience has shown me Caner Sucks"...probably would be appropriate..but again like so many other things..it has and will continue to elude you.

The really sad part is I don't know which is more sad, you suffering cancer or letting it mold you into what you are now. Looks like to me cancer has changed you to some bitter person that is so angry about life, you feel everyone around you has to suffer as well..and do your part in trying to pass that pain onto others. Possibly seeming to cause as much chaos and confusion as well in the limited time we all have.

You say " prove the shot was perfect " and I ask of you.."prove the shot wasn't perfect" because I have seen him and others shoot before. His track record for shooting is much appreciated whereas your penchant for maligning others that seems to be within your limited engagement envelope is again like a boil..sufferable. You will continue your social "tyrade" trying to knock people down and we will continue to serve and protect irregardless of any personal feelings...

For those here posting that want to stretch out and feel important, joining ol GonHuntin in his crusade to protect the hallowed sugar halls of this forum..it's free country...I laugh as I look to what or whom you are defending..looks like there may be some disciples here after all...and it reminds me to smile and think back on how many times "karma" has raised herself to the level of humanity to serve up a healthy dose of reality/payback...I look forward to seeing how time treats each and every one of you...best thing for you to understand is I don't mind..because you really don't matter...

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,903
Posts18,479,360
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.