-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+100 on hi-vels little gizmo. In fact, I just used it again yesterday while moving the scope on the new chassis.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone describe how that gizmo works?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here's the new AR model. The machining on this tool is about as close to perfect as possible...That's just how Hi_Vel rolls. Perfectionist is an understatement.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

On this model, instead of having two points to line up, there are index marks on the lower part that allows you to use it to square up the charging handle. It works perfect.

[Linked Image]

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys. Where can I purchase the Hi_Vel tool? I'll order one today.
Jim D

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonesouth
Thanks guys. Where can I purchase the Hi_Vel tool? I'll order one today.
Jim D

http://www.parabola-llc.com

I have the AR model as well. Incredible tool !!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, it beats everything else available by a long ways, in both convenience and accuracy.

I've yet to find any reticle-leveling tool that includes a small spirit level to work very well, partly because it's just about impossible to make a small spirit level that's very accurate AND lines up with the rest of the tool. In fact have used Hi-Vel's tool to straighten a bunch of crooked scopes that were supposedly set up straight with spirit-level tools.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

http://parabola-llc.com/links/

The videos at the link do a much better job than me typing, and you can order from the website.

It should be noted that at first glance, the product looks fairly simple. In usage, it is. In development, I can tell from communicating with Hi-vel it was definitely not.

Many have heard of "Occam's Razor". This is a metaphysical/problem solving principle that essentially states that the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Hi-Vel fine tuned this down to the simplest, user friendly form. I think he nailed it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also use the Reticle Tru. It's the best thing going for mounting scopes that don't have flat bottom erector housings, and are not sitting on one-piece rails. In those cases, a simple feeler gauge placed between the flat scope bottom and the one-piece rail as the scope rings are tightened gets the scope square with the receiver. For everything else, the RT is amazing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
it's just about impossible to make a small spirit level that's very accurate

My Stabila is gay-ron-teed to .029 degree of accuracy......ha!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But wait. There's more.....

Add the integrated rangefinder mount, proprietary clamping system, electric trigger AND the 'Keyboard Kommando' interface to your ballistic smartphone, and there is just about NO way to miss......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 03/25/16.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don, don't forget to show the balsa wood airplane propeller, anemometer! laugh

I need a Retical-Tru as well.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just watched the video.

Seems like it's "Ok", but far from a precision scope mount.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm coming a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I would put in my $.02.

I have a bore sighter. It's a $30 BSA model I got off Sportsman's Guide many years ago.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bsa-boresighter-kit?a=1174794

[Linked Image]

The interesting thing about this boresighter is that besides giving you a decent boresight, it also works as a leveler in a backhanded sort of way. When I explain, you'll see what I mean.

If you have a scope in the process of being mounted, your scope can conceivably roll in the rings. There is one position that brings the scope's crosshairs perfectly aligned up and down.

Then you have the boresighter. It works by attaching an appropriately sized arbor and stuffing it down the barrel. Again, there is only one position that brings the boresighter's grid perfectly level, but the axis it turns on is different than the scopes. There is one and only one configuration that bring the boresighter's grid and the scope's crosshairs exactly aligned, and that is one where the scope and the boresighter are rotated to the exact position they should be. If the scope is even a little bit off, the grid on the boresighter will not align. The rifle itself can be cocked off-level, but there is still only one solution that works.

As a result, I stuff the boresighter in the bore before I have the screws fully screwed down. I rotate the scope and the boresighter until the grid and the crosshairs are aligned. Then I tighten the screws on the rings down to 20 ft/lbs. Then I adjust the scope so that it lines of to the dark zero lines on the the boresighter grid. My final test is mounting the scope with the forearm resting on the flat of my left palm and doing a final offhand check.

Since I started using the boresighter, I have gone from having trouble hitting a double page of newspaper at 100 yards to being on an 8.5"X11" sheet of paper at 100 yards with my first shot. The boresighter has more than paid for itself in ammo saved getting on the paper. It has also removed the problem of unleveled scopes.

My suggestion to folks is that anything but a boresighter that works off an arbor in the barrel is redundant. I recommend eschewing all other methods and springing for the boresighter.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Mackay, do you contact him for one or are they available elsewhere?

http://parabola-llc.com/purchase/

Thanks.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don.... Can't wait to see in person!!

Need to get the patent paperwork done before someone steals your idea

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm coming a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I would put in my $.02.

I have a bore sighter. It's a $30 BSA model I got off Sportsman's Guide many years ago.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bsa-boresighter-kit?a=1174794

[Linked Image]

The interesting thing about this boresighter is that besides giving you a decent boresight, it also works as a leveler in a backhanded sort of way. When I explain, you'll see what I mean.

If you have a scope in the process of being mounted, your scope can conceivably roll in the rings. There is one position that brings the scope's crosshairs perfectly aligned up and down.

Then you have the boresighter. It works by attaching an appropriately sized arbor and stuffing it down the barrel. Again, there is only one position that brings the boresighter's grid perfectly level, but the axis it turns on is different than the scopes. There is one and only one configuration that bring the boresighter's grid and the scope's crosshairs exactly aligned, and that is one where the scope and the boresighter are rotated to the exact position they should be. If the scope is even a little bit off, the grid on the boresighter will not align. The rifle itself can be cocked off-level, but there is still only one solution that works.

As a result, I stuff the boresighter in the bore before I have the screws fully screwed down. I rotate the scope and the boresighter until the grid and the crosshairs are aligned. Then I tighten the screws on the rings down to 20 ft/lbs. Then I adjust the scope so that it lines of to the dark zero lines on the the boresighter grid. My final test is mounting the scope with the forearm resting on the flat of my left palm and doing a final offhand check.

Since I started using the boresighter, I have gone from having trouble hitting a double page of newspaper at 100 yards to being on an 8.5"X11" sheet of paper at 100 yards with my first shot. The boresighter has more than paid for itself in ammo saved getting on the paper. It has also removed the problem of unleveled scopes.

My suggestion to folks is that anything but a boresighter that works off an arbor in the barrel is redundant. I recommend eschewing all other methods and springing for the boresighter.

That won't work all the time. This is an exaggeration of a scope that is not level, but you can see that even on 2 different axis, it is possible to align the grid and the crosshair and not even being close to level...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Our very own Hi_Vel here on the campfire, designed and patented just such a device. It is smple and effective and can get your scope mounted squarely even if the rifle is canted...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've always used the magnetic levels i'll have to check these out

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You're still just eyeballing it with that device. A real level like Innovative Technologies and a verified vertical line down range is fool proof.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 3dtestify, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, 35, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,256
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.