Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
338 Imperial Model 70 Winchester Problem

In an impulse buy a few years back I picked up this orphan before doing my online research. At the time I had more idle time than brains and bought a $900 problem from someone else. Not wanting to dump this rifle off on some poor unsuspecting sole I have decided to salvage what I can and move on. As-Is it has a 27" heavier than factory profile custom barrel in 338 Imperial Magnum. I have the dies and some 404 Jeffery brass. I determined that the extractor was shot when I could not extract light loads from it at the range. At this point I have some parts lying around ( super grade stock and bottom metal) and would like to put something together I can use for Elk hunting. YES I know I can just go out and buy a nice 338 WM or 340 MKV Weatherby but would prefer to use what I have for now if I like it. Here are my questions for you Model 70 experts.

1.) would it be possible to use the current barrel and some how shorten it so I would be in 338 RUM? I don't have chamber drawing on the Imperial so I am at a loss.

2.) since the action was a 300 Weatherby Model 70 post 64 Classic CRF could I just pick up a factory Winchester take off barrel in 338 WM and have it rechambered to 340 Weatherby?

Ultimately I would like to have a good 338 RUM or 340 Weatherby for less than a new rifle if possible.

Thanks Brad

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Maybe this'll help:

[Linked Image]

FWIW, and maybe I'm way off, is that I believe the RUM would be a difficult round to work with in the CRF M70..

Due to the dimensions of the IM it appears to me (viewing this quickly) that the Wby round would require a new barrel. That IM is one thick case...

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 300 rum in a crf but it was the longer action. It may eject unfired 338rum, but it would be Uber close.

Why not just fix the extractor? Have you clocked it to see if it's just over pressure?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Lee

Thanks for the help. You built my last rocking 300 H&H conversion with the super grade stock and pac nor barrel. I guess I'm itching for an elk rifle to join it. Not sure if this is a project you would want to jump on or not? Thanks Brad

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Can do...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Sounds good I will start getting things together when I get back in town. On spring break with my family right now.

Thanks

Brad. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why not just get a new extractor and the problem should be fixed, or are there more problems.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You didn't say what contour your barrel is, but if there was enough shank in front of the action you could cut off the threaded portion and rechamber to 338 RUM, I think.

The Imperial is a full length round (3.360 OAL), so you might be able to rechamber to 338 Edge. The Edge is a little longer and larger than the Imp.

Personally, I would check first to see if the original builder altered the feed rails trying to get the big case to feed. One never knows what mischief some "smiths" get up to!

If it will still feed a belted (338 or 340bee) case then you could decide if you want to fling more money at a mystery barrel or getting a factory take off to fit.

Just some thoughts!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. The gun was purchased as a mystery rifle. I google some load data and found out the previous owner was unable to get a load to work with it after I purchased it. At the range it would NOT even extract light loads and I compared the extractor to my 300 RUM and low and behold someone took some metal off it somehow and it wouldn't pull the fired cases. I got some 404 Jeffery cases ready to go but have decided I have less time than I once thought and would like to go with a factory cartridge more than a 338 WM. Hence the 338 RUM or 340 Weatherby. The barrel is a much larger profile than factory so it might be salvageable at this point. I am going to have Redneck take a lot for me to see what I can do right now with the package. I agree I hope the feed rails aren't bunged up but I lack the tools to measure and evaluate it. Again my plan is to put together a nice companion rifle to my semi-custom 300 H&H super grade classic Mod 70 CRF for elk hunting.

Brad smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.