Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im headed to San Antonio next week for a few days. Things to do? places to eat?

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Alamo, of course. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/30/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course I am familiar with this town.

It would be helpful to know what are your interests, will you have your own wheels and how much free time will you have?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
the buckhorn saloon, lot of neat stuff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The Alamo, of course. cool

+1

And the River Walk, of course. My wife and I were there for a conference last spring. We enjoyed a boat tour too.

This spring the conference will be in New Orleans. smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cra1
the buckhorn saloon, lot of neat stuff

+1.............

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's the Olympic games Space Needle tower near the Alamo. It has a restaurant at the top that rotates. The descent via the elevator is a little fast.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There from Tuesday afternoon to Saturday morning. Alamo is on the list. History good Brisket and Tex-Mex. Planning on visiting the Menger Bar Teddy Roosevelt recruited some of his Rough Riders there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eat at the TACO GARAGE out by the airport.

Ate there last night. Great food, big portions, small check. They guys with me ordered margaritas and loved them!

On my list of places to eat when back in San Antonio!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Texas Tamale Co. on the Riverwalk was pretty good eats but it's been a few years.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by inland44
Im headed to San Antonio next week for a few days. Things to do? places to eat?

San Antonio is my favorite big city, but I would strongly suggest getting OUT of town and taking a drive. Take 16 through Vanderpool, up to Fredericksburg, east to Blanco then New Braunfels and back south to SA. You'll see some Texas that way.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Itppowell,

thanks for the tip, I was considering visiting the National Museum of the Pacific War which is in Fredericksburg.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And a word of caution on the Riverwalk, just because you see the keys in one of those gondolas, don't take it for a ride.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are welcome. SA is nice for a big city, but it's just...a big city and big cities all SUCK, IMHO. The Frontier Times Museum in Bandera is pretty cool too, if you like museums. Small, but cool.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by inland44
Itppowell,

thanks for the tip, I was considering visiting the National Museum of the Pacific War which is in Fredericksburg.

That is an excellent place. The live show is very good. I am with Pat, take a ride and make a loop. I live in the heart of it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right across the street (or almost) is Fleet Admiral Nimitz' birthplace

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get your grub on at Mamacitas Restaurant just off I-10 in NW San Antonio...really good place for Tex-Mex. And see San Antonio's four historic missions along the San Antonio River - Mission Concepción, Mission San Jose, Mission San Juan and Mission Espada.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not much to add here.

I dunno if this place is open yet, looks like it is this coming weekend. In the Rivercenter Mall just at the corner from the Alamo they are opening a new privately-owned "Battle For Texas: The Experience" in the old Joske's department store.

http://www.thegoldgroup.com/#!Interactive-Alamo-Experience-Set-to-Move-Into-Joskes-Building-Downtown/c1v6h/566059020cf203d325e85415

The vibe is this place is going to be pretty good and state-of-the-art. Certainly a couple of our top local historians/reenactors got hired there.

Also, do go and see Mission San Jose at least, and see the free movie. A few traffic lights north of there on Roosevelt, across from the RV Park near the river, go and eat at Taqueria de Guadalajara. Not that the other places mentioned ain't good, but this is a good place where actual Tex-Mexicans eat.

Also not much known is the Texas Air Museum further south on Roosevelt....

http://www.texasairmuseum.org/

Stinson Field is the second-oldest airfield in the US, Lindbergh used to fly out of there.

The air museum used to be an absolute must-see but they sent off the Focke-Wulf 190, still there's some way cool early biplane with castor-oil lubed motors, and a Boeing P-26 Peashooter, amazing how small that little fighter was.

Finally, San Antonio still has a city-owned trap and skeet range, just north of downtown, the San Antonio Gun Club in Olmos Heights. Oldest active gun club in the country. since 1921, used to be a place for the wealthy leisure class back then, worth a look even if ya ain't going to shoot.

www.sagunclub.com

Not far either from Nagel's Gun Shop on San Pedro.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Check out the old Pearl Brewery. Its been converted to a series of shops/bars/restaurants. I've been told that The Granary is actually pretty good BBQ. La Gloria has also had positive reviews, though it is more authentic Mexican food than Tex-Mex.

I am also a fan of Taco Garage, but most of the time when we have visitors coming to town, especially if they've been here before, we end up going to La Fogata. Great atmosphere and food, plus killer margaritas. Other great alternatives include Soluna and Rosarios.

You'll find that the Alamo, the Menger, and the Buckhorn Saloon are all within easy walking distance. The rest of the missions are a bit farther downstream on the San Antonio River. You could bike to them, but you may want to take a car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.