-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My friend, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind you will bounce back "when ready" to a better one.

Meanwhile slay some turkey's!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Best of luck
Great skill set

Sure you'll do fine

Are you able to relocate?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"bit jockey" -snort- laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
"bit jockey" -snort- laugh

At one job, back about 1988, I kind of had them over a barrel. I had just turned 30. I had a lot of proprietary info in my head and they could not let me walk, but they were paying me a pittance. I negotiated a raise. There was a delay. The boss came back and said that they would have to give me a promotion to justify the raise, but they'd been scratching their heads on what to call the new position, because I was already "Senior Systems Analyst."

I suggested "Bit Jockey Emeritus." I think it ended up as Lead Senior System Analyst or some such thing. It was funny, because I was the only system analyst they had. I still like my idea better.

Sigh!

Thanks all. It's like Rush Limbaugh says: pessimism is easy; it takes some effort to be optimistic.

What makes me optimistic is that I am in a much better position than the last time I got the boot. My skills are much more current; I'm getting a good send off from the employer. The last time I got canned was a long dark 2+ year slog and I would go 6 months without an interview. I had to start off by spending the first 3 months fighting for my unemployment benefit. Oh yeah, and 6 months in, my first wife, Satan sued me for $250K or thereabouts.

The one bright moment in that ordeal (outside of the extended deer and turkey hunting trips) was when the magistrate told Satan that she was not going to do anything about the accusation that I was referring to my ex as "Satan" in online forums. Satan had even printed off stuff from the 24hourcampfire as evidence. I immediately went out and bought myexissatan.com and sold hats and coffee mugs and T-shirts. I just let the domain name lapse last month.

I had a bunch of well-wishing calls this afternoon. Folks were calling me up in disbelief. I take it the hatchet kept falling after I left. Oh well. It's not my problem anymore.

One thing got done this afternoon. Angus graduates from high school in a month. We had a pow-pow this afternoon. Angus sees that he's got to go out and get a job that pays benefits. He'll need medical insurance now. There was some question how long he would loiter here at the house enjoying adolescence. Today the answer came back: not long. That's hard, I know. However, he's a good guy and fairly smart. He'll do well. It certainly beats the last time I got laid off. He was only 10, and I was always telling him I was going to sell him for medical experimentation if he didn't do his chores and keep his grades up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When the economy tanked in '09 I was walked out the door at age 59, I received 13 weeks severance pay and outplacement assistance. I could not find employment for 18 months, finally took what I call a "bus stop" job that lasted 18 months. All the time I was attending employment networking meetings every week. Finally found a contract employment position that involved a career change and 40% pay cut, fortunately my wife had an excellent job which provided medical,dental,vision coverage for both of us. I worked in incoming quality control for a multibillion dollar Fortune 500 corporation, great people to work for probably the best job of my career. Fortunately for me I was able to retire at age 64 even though I still had one daughter still in college. At my exit interview my manager told me that I had a job with the company for as long as I wanted to work. I told her that while I appreciated that, this was as long as I wanted to work. I now have the best job I've ever had, retirement. In my third year now every day is a new adventure, I'm never bored and can always find interesting stuff to do. I wish you luck in your search, perseverence is the key along with getting the word out to everyone you know, opportunities can be found when you least expect them. Contract employment is not a bad gig if you can work for minimum benefits, it often turns into an opportunity for a permanent position.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Same thing happened to my wife a week ago. She made way too much money and her company is doing horrible in the current economy. We were both amazed it didn't happen years ago.

I have a couple friends and a sister that have 25-30 years with the same company, but they are not the norm any longer. In today's world I think 5-10 is more realistic for any company.

Keep your attitude positive and things will work out just fine. Best wishes.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
With companies big or small, it happens.. I wish you the best in finding another suitable job in your chosen field. I bet you'll do just fine..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shaman
Oh yeah, and 6 months in, my first wife, Satan sued me for $250K or thereabouts.
THAT made me LMAO - good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Satan swore the amount was less than a quarter-mil, closer to $200K. She said I exaggerated. However, that was only up to exhibit N . She had a pile more to present before the magistrate put a stop to the presentation.

I can't wait to see what she comes at me with this time around.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It gave me lots of time to practice retirement so I'd be good at it.

Been taking my 6 weeks of vacation from Nov 15 through Jan 1 for the last 8 years. Every time it starts I immediately begin thinking it is what retirement must be like. I now have 18 months until the final day if the Lord wills I should make it that far.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good luck Shaman! Been in your shoe's a few times.. God closes a door and opens a window to new things! Too bad about Satan, I divorced her sister The Red Headed Demon.. smirk

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check my company, Harris Corp. we are looking for about 1000 positions to fill, software, hardware, engineering.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a free subscription to the weekly newsletter of Ask the Headhunter for current tips on what to avoid and how to look.

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com

It's useful.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shaman, I've gotten laid off a number of times for reasons that I couldn't control (never for performance or behavior). Companies went bust, got bought by other companies, pulled out of a market, downsized, etc. I filled in between "real jobs" by consulting, commission selling industrial equipment and, temporary jobs until I found another "permanent" job.

It may be a dark night now, but there is a sun rise tomorrow. Best of luck.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBS
Check my company, Harris Corp. we are looking for about 1000 positions to fill, software, hardware, engineering.

Which Harris Corp? Is this the big electronics company with a facility near Monroe, Ohio?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife does something involving hiring for a pretty big tech company. Even if you're not a fit for her company, she could probably steer you in the right direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Come to think of it,...I don't believe I've ever had a job that I wouldn't trade for a layoff with severance pay,....but I never got one.

My whole life I've been cursed with being good at doing chitty jobs.

,..fuggin' work ethic enny damn way

Glad i am not the only one.
Retired a couple of years ago.
To the O.P
Sorry to hear, it will all work out.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was only 10, and I was always telling him I was going to sell him for medical experimentation

laugh

In similar situation I told step daughter when she was about 8 that I was gonna sell her to juan valdez.
"You'll be picking coffee beans by the day after tomorrow!"

She started crying.... lol

15 years later we still joke about it. smile

You'll be fine.
Relax and take your time.
Keep family close and shoot some turkeys.
You're gonna come out ahead!

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like Hard Times. Hope you bounce back.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear of your employment troubles, Shaman, but don't feel lonely, I got the axe today myself. 18+ years gone.

It's a damn freaky feeling, wondering how the bills will be paid, but all one can do is move forward.

Best of luck with your employment search.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.