-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm planning on putting a 6.5-20x50 Leupold, 30mm, side focus, on a Remington 700, magnum barrel, in dual dove tails.
What height rings will work with the 50 mm objective ?
Mediums, I hope ?

Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a link to a pdf. You'll have to do your own homework so if you get the wrong ones I don't need to eat them. crazy

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The charts and Leupold will probably all say high, but you should be able to get away with mediums. The DD rings are quite high already, plus the thickness of the bases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
instead of using the rings you have to have why not use the rings that fit you best. the older I get the more particular about things I get, this could be pillows or in this case scope height. I personally like my scopes a tad higher than alot of people do. but I wouldn't know this unless I paid attention to it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not a fan of the double dovetail mounts, seen to many with issues. I had Talley rings on one scope for my 700 and just got a new scope so i'm getting a different set to mount the VX-3L as low as I can get away with. Yup getting another set of Talleys. When lapped they took very little to true up and are solid as a rock. I had wanted a one piece base but looking at all the points that can cause issues or get loose I choose the Talleys after getting a lot of recommendations.
Sorry cant answer your question.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd take dual dovetails over Talley.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had nothing but problems with traditional Talley rings and bases.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just a thought but if you are putting together a rifle that is already heavy I'd use rings with a better long term reputation.

My last .300WM has a Nightforce steel one piece cross slot base and Seekins rings. If you look at the specs of different rings there are many slightly different heights and fine tuning what is right for you may help your groups. Not saying my choice is perfect for you but it gives you more options than using DD or Talleys.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a custom 338 RUM. The receiver is drilled and tapped for 8/40's. The dd's have worked great for alot of years.
I'm swapping scopes to a 30mm. I can keep my bases, and just change rings.
I looked at the Leupold chart, but was hoping , maybe, mediums might work, and keep the objective real close to the barrel.

Last edited by splattermatic; 03/30/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used the DD on several rifles myself but found my .300 Win Mag had developed clearance on the front dovetail. I'm setting it up to play at longer ranges and don't need that kind of help. wink

Samuel Colt.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ya I can only speak of my positive Talley experience. The DD I have seen first hand. What problems did you guys have with Talley's? It is a nice idea to be able to keep the base and swap rings if needed and I do have DD on my Remington pump 30-06 now but if they give me any good reason to change them I will change to a different set up.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm buying a set of mediums from a fellow member, and there was a new set of high extended ones on Ebay that I bid on, and won for 0.01 !
Well see which fit the best for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't had Talley failures but was shown pictures on a phone from a guy who had no dog in a fight at all. He was unhappy the experience didn't match the expense.

Samuel Colt.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by willflow
I'm not a fan of the double dovetail mounts, seen to many with issues.

What issues have you had with dual dovetails?

The only time I've ever heard of a problem out of them is when someone takes them out of the base and re-uses them. Once you twist them in they should be left in that base.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the 30mm 6.5-20x50 mounted on my 338 RUM with the high extended rings I won off Ebay for 2.95 !
Not sure if mediums will work. Scope is pretty close now.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.