Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For decades I always included a topo map and compass amongst my "possibles". That too has gone by the wayside, although if wandering into virgin territory I would likely resume their use. I used to mark good "spots" on a map with compass bearings taken from un-missable landmarks. I guess GPS would suffice, but I'm an analog kind of guy and a Luddite to boot!

I've been "a mite turned around" a couple of times but keeping in mind the position of the sun and the fact that water runs downhill (at least where I hunted) and "civilization" can be found along major watercourses was always enough comfort to know I wouldn't be spending the night shivering under a pile of pine boughs. Works in the areas of Eastern Woodlands where I've done 90% of my hunting, but I know that wouldn't be a good attitude out in the Great Wide Beyond.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

Thermos - Cold Days>>>>Grunt Tube >>>Rattle Bag
Water >>>>Comp Binos >>>Snacks
Coke >>>>Ammo pack >>>Chips (not in pic)
L R F >>>>Pruner
Headlamp >>>>Saw
>>>>Drag Rope<<<<

The drag rope is not essential but I use it enuff to justify packin it

A little qualification!

I leave early even in cold Wx so the coffee helps tremendously at times. I have a hydration pack but the coffee/water/coke is less bundlesome. The snacks get me thru lunch w/o feeling starved. Many Xs I've connected before lunch time so they're ready for the next hunt.

The LRF usually is in a coat pocket and the comp. binos are around my neck (still toting them). I also carry the Primos Can (doe bleat) in a pocket. I find the hand pruner very useful occasionally.

The drag rope comes in handy dragging a doe (they don't have handles) out of a thicket or to an easier place to load on wheeler.

All in all these things are beneficial/useful enuff to me that I don't mind the weight. I'm so use to having them, I don't feel 'ready' w/o them.

Obviously every one doesn't hunt in/under the same circumstances so what we need/want varies.

I've picked up a few pointers from you guys and may still get others from future posts. Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
gnoahhh -

A very good example of what's needed for WHERE you hunt.

Back in the 80s I could have used a GPS ! WHAT was a gps in the 80s? grin

I know that I am NOT the only one, but I 'almost' have a compass in my DNA. I have been lost ONCE but only in the since I had trouble getting out of a 'large' triangle. Luckily, I think I made it out. confused

For the last many yrs the only thing I needed & used was a map of a very large deer lease. Mainly that was to inform myself what land was in/out of the lease. It was not all in one tract.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joseywales
Josey, that's a neat idea. I don't need it where I'm hunting now. Someone else might need it and I'll file it away for future ref.

***From another use***-- you can put those in an empty film canister for clean storage. I used to carry old film in a canister to clean the seals on motorcycle front forks. A band aide short term fix.

Thanks

Jerry

Film canisters! Yeah, like you can find those anymore! I have a few, but man I wish I had kept more of those. I keep trail marking tacks in one. Using canisters for cotton ball fire starters is ideal, but I just need to find some.

BTW, i tried the cotton ball trick, with a firestarter, by scraping the starter with a knife. Damn if it didn't ignite and hold a nice flame.

Or you can buy 3x5 ziplock bags on eBay. I put my cotton balls in one of those little bags and prefer it to film canisters by a wide wide margin. I also use the bags when I'm doing load development. They 3-10 loaded rounds easily. Helps to keep them sorted.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
tag....lots of good stuff to come back and read

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hi Sam
Nice looking pack in the above picture. What brand/model is it?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I'm on 70 acres I'd not have a pack. Everything I'd need could be carried on me.

If I'm going 'out' then I'd have a pack with line, water, latex gloves, knife, saw.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Diff strokes...

Happy Easter....S Head

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Guys -

I'm hunting 70 acres and don't---- return to my truck---- till time to leave. I use my 4 wheeler to retrieve deer
Jerry

Guys, Craig & others not to be critical but explain my tactics.

70 acres is NOT a large plot of ground. My Uncle is in poor health and doesn't get far from his barn-- SO the deer don't bump into humans very often ON that 70 acres.

I don't criss cross the property or go back & forth to my truck **for obvious** reasons (not critical) but for emphasis.

That's WHY I carry a pack & don't go back to the truck UNTIL it's time to leave.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I'm on 70 acres I'd not have a pack. Everything I'd need could be carried on me.

If I'm going 'out' then I'd have a pack with line, water, latex gloves, knife, saw.
Yep! Only reason I have a pack with me on my place is to carry the stuff for the kiddos.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
Hi Sam
Nice looking pack in the above picture. What brand/model is it?

Jedi, sorry just saw your question.

The pack is a Mystery Ranch Bighorn.

I don't get to use it a lot but it is a very well built item.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hi Sam
Thanks bud..

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My Experiment ? Compass with or w/o phone signal.
Where I was last night, NORMALLY has no or limited cell signal. Last night it was cloudy and I had better signal there than I've ever noticed.
So, I'll have to try that on a clear day/night. I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't have signal so I'll have to pay attention and check later. I'm very curious.
Jerry

Well I'm skunked so far. During the past week I haven't been anywhere that I did NOT have phone signal. Even when I had only 1 bar of signal, my compass worked.

Has anyone else tried your phone's compass w/o signal strength?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Experiment ? Compass with or w/o phone signal.
Where I was last night, NORMALLY has no or limited cell signal. Last night it was cloudy and I had better signal there than I've ever noticed.
So, I'll have to try that on a clear day/night. I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't have signal so I'll have to pay attention and check later. I'm very curious.
Jerry

Well I'm skunked so far. During the past week I haven't been anywhere that I did NOT have phone signal. Even when I had only 1 bar of signal, my compass worked.

Jerry
Turn it on airplane mode and try it. You won't have signal then.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a fanny pack:

fix bladed knife
meat/pruning saw (2 blades)
50' paracord
AA flashlight
4 AA batteries
matches
lighter
vaselined cotton balls & pitch wood
1 quart water
sandwich/candy/trail mix
scope lens covers
10 cartridges (on the belt)
latex gloves
toilet paper
metal cup w/ small first aid kit, extra compass, bouillon cubes and tin foil inside

In my Pockets:

GPS
compass
maps
folding knife
AAA flashlight
garbage bag
bandana
paper/pencil
doe bleat call

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 03/31/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pointer

Jerry
Turn it on airplane mode and try it. You won't have signal then.

THANKS Pointer -
I've never needed to go to airplane mode so I didn't think to try it.

YES..my compass works correctly W/O phone signal. So no worries, mate! My compass will work NO matter where I am.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually carry more than I need. But sometimes I end up miles from where I start and the weather can change a lot through out the day. I have 2 different packs I wear. One is a large 2 compartment lumbar pack the other is an Eberlestock X2, the X2 is worn if I anticipate needing to pack meat over a long distance. Usually wear it when I head into the higher country looking for mule bucks.

I always have:
Warm hat
2 pair gloves
1 knife besides the one on my belt
small diamond sharpener
either a wyoming saw or Granfors wildlife hatchet
Camera
ranger finder
paracord
first aid kit
at leat 1 quart water
food of some sort
1 or 2 lights with spare batteries
TP and wet wipes
orange or pink flagging
spare ammo on my belt
GPS if new country
Binos around my neck
Spotting scope, sometimes not always
space blanket
lighter and matches
fire starter

There is probably more, but that is most of it. I have used all at one time or another.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my eberlestock x1 I carry the rifle of the day in the scabbard on my back, a full water bladder, some food, a havalon piranta with some extra blades, paracord, fire starter, wyoming saw, ten extra cartridges, and two Gatorade in the bottle holders on the sides. If I'm hunting in tricky private/public lands I will carry my GPS with land status chip.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Going to carry a small cyalume stick in my pack this year, should make it easier to find something I may have to leave behind and then come back for when it's dark....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.