-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Public land map of Oregon and Washington.

[Linked Image]

Right?!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rrroae

My wife currently works from home and only has to make a half dozen or so trips a year so we can basically move anywhere in the country. I'm also self employed and can do what I want anywhere. This new company is a pretty big tech company but don't know how flexible they are with telecommuting.

If you're moving for your wife, you may think about the culture of the company. If they have offices in Seattle & Austin, both uber liberal, the culture there may reflect the same attitudes.

Just a thought. FWIW

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
So, where out west can a fella go where he can be by the mountains, see a whale and hunt elk without the Starbucks crowd and bumper to bumper traffic?

Northern Idaho...and to see the whale you'll have to check out the local bars...

If you like Rain, traffic, gridlock,liberals, and slowly going insane, you'd love Seattle....

I'm thinking, from the nature of some basement posts, that our friend 'slave might be able to act as whale watching tour guide..............for a fee of course. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
My mom and stepdad retired to Anacortes which is at the far, far end of Pugetopia. They "escaped" the Bay Area Peninsula, by the way.

The Seattle cancer dominates about 10 miles away but Anacortes was tolerable.

Nice little town. A whole lot different than it was when I was growing up there. At the time, it was more of a working town. Real estate has gone up, the boats in the marinas are bigger, newer, more expensive. The working boat repair yard in the main city marina has been replaced with a huge, high-priced luxury restaurant. There are houses in places nobody would have thought to put them 30 years ago. Fewer kids, more people with grey hair. It's starting to get to be a little like Miami - lots of money there, but most of it made somewhere else. If you have money, you'll like it. But it'll be hell trying to make a decent amount if you don't.

BTW, the far end of Pugetopia doesn't start until you have to take a ferry to get to the mainland.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The Washington State Patrol is a bunch of jack booted fascists when it comes to speed enforcement. Everywhere else in the country I've driven, there's a roughly normal distribution of speeds on the roads. Same in WA, except the curve is chopped at 3 mph over whatever the absurdly low posted speed limit is. Humans don't behave that way without being tortured into it. It takes soooo much longer than it should to get anywhere because you can't drive a reasonable speed and keep your license. Most of the southwest, including California, is vastly better. That's something that can't be blamed on the San Franciscization of the place, and honestly would be one of my biggest irritations if I moved back.

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04/01/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, everyone is right, rains all the time, traffic is horrible, cops are terrible, housing prices are out of sight, woods and rivers are overcrowded.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slm9s
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
even out in turdholes like Tacoma.

Hey!

Then there is the saying:

"TACOMA AROMA!!!!"

Which wasn't meant to be flattering!!!!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys talked me out of it.

Putting an offer in on a place in southern Ohio. More land, bigger bucks and a bit warmer than where we are now.

I'll have to settle for seeing whales on the Discovery channel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ALL of Washington is a terrible place. Stay away!!!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U better like moss,rain,traffic,lots of people(if u can call some of them that) better break out your rainbow shirts to .....I have to go there for work every few years,to me its like doing time...for being normal!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys talked me out of it.

Putting an offer in on a place in southern Ohio. More land, bigger bucks and a bit warmer than where we are now.

I'll have to settle for seeing whales on the Discovery channel.

Whales are cool and all, but the novelty wears off... unless you are out there with them in a boat. That's pretty awesome.

Maybe you'll have this kind of whale to watch in Ohio! whistle

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You'd be amazed how good she looks after half a bottle of Captain.

Beats our sum'mer teeth mountain girls.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you do not have to go the big city every day WA State is not too bad a place out here on the coast.

I am about 3 hours west of Seattle. My boat in the photo. Vancouver Island B.C. in the back ground. My house is 2-1/2 miles from salt water, 10 minutes from the boat launch.

The photo tells all: It rains out here. Not every day, but a lot.

[Linked Image]

I hate the Seattle/Tacoma area. Have to go through it when I am headed to the Spokane area. Traffic can be a total gridlock.

Last edited by Cabriolet; 04/02/16.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rex---This state is full of beauty and breath taking wilderness. I'll drop my crab pots and go deer hunting (whitetail, mule deer or Blacktail) or elk hunting (Rocky Mountain or Roosevelt) come home and pull the pots and have fresh grilled backstraps and fresh Dungeness crab that evening. It's true that Seattle is like any city with liberals and nuts but once you get away from the city there are a lot of good people with common interests. I'd normally not try to sell this area or encourage more growth but there's room here for a guy like yourself. All kinds of fishing from tuna and salmon to trout and sturgeon. If you're serious about a change of scenery let me know as I'd be more than happy to give you a grand tour of our state. We live on an island about 50 miles north/northwest of Seattle and my wife commutes to the airport for work (1.5hrs) but it's light years removed from the city. I'm in the process of getting a place built on our property in SE AK which will cure my wanderlust for good but this state will always have a special place in my heart. Not because of its ass backwards political climate but rather for all the adventures I've had right outside my front door. A person could do worse than to live here.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/boat-crew-witnesses-whale-fight-off-everett/115929880

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Austin is not far from beautiful white sandy Gulf coast beaches. Texas also has a lot of lakes from dams with good bass fishing. Texas is also good hunting for deer, wild hogs. Guns aren't an issue either. Houston is the most liberal area of Texas. Weather is better, but hot in summer.

I grew up and still live in Southeast Texas. Yeah, the Texas Gulf Coast has sand and beaches, but I wouldn't exactly call them beautiful.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (16penny, 16gage, 12savage, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,130
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.