Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What a bunch of enablers, thanks. Have a 6.5 on it's way. If it needs some tuning or tweaking then it is about like most current factory rifles so I won't be disappointed.

Does anyone know if the Forbes has the SAAMI or CIP chamber?
Or is this a non issue the .473 base vs .478?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Do they have a LH 6.5 Creedmoor?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Swede only. Last Friday they had one other LH 24b in 6.5x55 but they had 3 20b's in 308 or 7-08 that would only be a re-barrel job away from a Creedmore. That would be a nice combo.

I hope Barrett intends to build these. I have witnessed their 50 BM shoot 6" groups at a 1000 yds. so they know how to put together a rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000

IIRC, at one time there was a challenge to post up pictures of a real LH Forbes rifle that were not Photoshop'ed or given to a celebrity hunter. I think you just won! grin

Picked up a RH Ascent in .270 a couple weeks ago out of frustration with the lack of light LH production rifles. I like everything about the Ascent except the bolt being on the wrong side. Going to wait until the LH Forbes comes in before I do anything else with the Kimber.

Yeah, I reckon so laugh ...Bricktop swore these guns didn't, nor would ever, exist.

What caliber did you opt for Warren?
Per Tejano's posting it sounds as if they are going through those guns! Selling quickly.
Congrats Tejano, post an initial quality/range report/etc. review of that rifle if you would.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I couldn't help it and picked up a 7-08 with stainless barrel. Thanks for the heads up on these and am looking forward to testing it out. However, it will be 10 days before CA will let me bring it home.

Sure hope I don't regret this.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
ejo, if you dont like it i want first dibs called last week and could not make up my mind. Plus they wanted to ship it Fed EX to AK $100 and she called it a 20" barrel in SS. Called today and it was gone. Wanted a LH SS barrel 7-08 in 21".

They still had a couple of LH SA this morning, wonder what Melvin would charge to rebarrel it in .284 or 6.5 CM?

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/04/16.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats ejo, seems like the worst that could happen is that Melvin would have to go over the thing. And given his propensity for quality, you'd have a true NULA in disguise.
You'll likely do just fine.

KK, I think depending on who you talk to, folks really don't know 100% what is there at Barrett's with these.
They initially told me they had no 20B's in .308, only 24B .308s. Well, it's obvious that all the short actions were 20B models but their list was wrong and I picked up on that.
I pointed this out to Jeff Burch and he told me he appreciated my correcting his oversight, and he provided what I wanted.

Dig a bit deeper and they might have what you want. I think things are confusing over there.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by broomd
... What caliber did you opt for Warren? ...

Ordered a SS .270Win. Back on a simplification kick. Steering toward a light .270 at 6.0 to 6.5lbs, and an all around .270 at 7.5 to 8.0lbs. Have the "all around" covered. Thought I had the the "light" end covered as well ... Now will have to wait and see how I like the ergos on the Forbes versus the Kimber.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
... I hope Barrett intends to build these in Left Hand. I have witnessed their 50 BM shoot 6" groups at a 1000 yds. so they know how to put together a rifle. ...

Fixed it for you... grin ... Yeah, I had the same thought. Barrett seems to have successfully survived the transition from "out back in the garage" to "full production." I just hope they see enough of a demand here with the Left Handers scarfing up the remaining LH rifles to include LH's in their production plans.

Find it really curious that Forbes would have this many LH rifles in inventory and not make them available for sale...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cool deal you guys are scoring some of these "Unicorns". Can't wait to hear what you think and how they shoot.

Bring on the pics!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I might have to give them a call in the morning to see what's left. Mini-me is a lefty and this might beat buying a Rem 700 and sending it off to Long Rifles for a rebarrel...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forbes had a push to sell more LH rifles and discounted them $100 in September and October of 2015. I called the closest dealer and they said they wouldn't order anymore. So I suspect they got crosswise with some dealers and the QC plus customer service issues may have been the final nail.

But it is a boon to us that have been waiting for a reasonably priced left hand lightweight. Just wish I could get three of them now. Really hoping Barrett will continue the Forbes legacy on a positive note.

R
R
After seeing this thread last week I ordered a stainless 7mm-08 on Friday. Anxiously waiting for the gun to show up today and hoping to shoot it today or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! If all goes to plan this will be replacing a kimber or two as my main hunting rifle.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
Forbes had a push to sell more LH rifles and discounted them $100 in September and October of 2015...

I must be living under a rock. Until this thread popped up, I was not aware that LH Forbes rifles were even being produced...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I must be living under a rock. Until this thread popped up, I was not aware that LH Forbes rifles were even being produced...

There was actually a used one on Gunbroker about six months ago, .30-06, IIRC...CM barreled gun.
Think it was mentioned here at the 'fire.

I researched them periodically since Summer of '11, but never knew of a single dealer that offered--and sold--a LHer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope they work out well for you guys, the price sounds great. I would have loved one of those but I'm not sure any lefties came across to this side of the border. Hope the Forbes rifle reappears one day, they had a great opportunity that they squandered.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just curious, What was the original prices of them?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great to read that there were some LH actions that have been purchased by the guys who often times get over looked. Post some groups if any of you's care to share them on the board.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I rolled the dice and placed an order for a 7mm-08 with stainless barrel and black stock today. I believe they have one more with the same configuration in stock. Anyone else receive their rifles besides Broomd? Care to comment on fit/finish, feeding, ejection, accuracy...?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boy did I ever have a letdown. The rifle looks good but I got a delay on the transfer.

Just a quick look and fit and finish is fine. Not a NULA for sure but I wouldn't be disappointed if I had paid full price.

Parkerizing is always a bit gritty so the bolt just needs to wear in. I got both the Forbes rings and a picatinney rail. I was surprised the rings are steel rather than aluminum. Funny in most cases I would prefer steel but for this one aluminum would save an ounce or so.

Not sure if the trigger is the two position three function NULA one or only a two position. It was a little stiff but that is to be expected. Trigger felt good but will probably reduce to three pounds. Felt like about four something for the initial test.

Now to gets some components. Tempted to hot rod the swede a bit and load to 260AI criteria. The case capacity is the same and with a long throat I don't think I'll 'splode anything.

Now need to decide on which bullets.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,346
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.