Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CBB
I have a Model 700 .243, that collects dust....
Thinking of taking it with me to the 'smith tomorrow for a re-barrel.
I may just go with a 22 or 24 inch fluted bbl or another caliber.

Ideas, suggestions???

1-8" 22-250.

Dave

Daves idea is the best of the bunch, and it fits in with Shraps logic. He's right on the twist too...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shrapnel is a cyber-bully.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
almost perfect but go .22-250 Ackley 1:8 with a 62grTTSX and you're there

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets matter more than headstamps and if building...ALWAYS build around THE bullet. Poor poor stupid fhuqking Shrap' wouldn't know if Christ was Crucified,or died of the schits and few "know" less about bullets.

The OEM Big Green SAAMI 243Win in issued guise,will of course do it all and then some. They are twisted/throated right for 105's and have the COAL to arrange VERY nice thangs. I'd simply feed it some Hornie 105HPBT's and heed the reality of being fresh outta excuses,with the newfound splendors inherent.

A 6x MQ would go without saying...just sayin'. Zero'd at 250yds(+2.2" at 100yds),the windshield grants 1160yds of opportunity. 1500yds is but 4.3 Mils,so lotsa elbow room remains there,in a 10MPH full value condition. With 'Horn rings in a 2pc affair,60MOA+ of inclination is easily arranged,which will toss better than 35Mils in the erector.

Tough to beat a DBM for Giggles Utility and the increase in both COAL and capacity,do not compromise fun.

So rather than chase rainbows,I'd always rather start wearing out barrels of merit,that are twisted/throated to grant copious potential.

While I've had herds of 'em,I'm no great fan of the SAAMI 22-250,beings it's such a poor design,leaving so much potential on the table. While 8" is the ticket in .224",it's tough to swoon a 8" SAAMI 22-250.

1-8" Mike Rock VS contoured 20" SAAMI 22-250 in an A5,Badger M4,Reupold MK4 M3 3.5-10x(they suck too),yada,yada,yada.

[Linked Image]

I'd much rather gun a 8" 223 or better yet 223AI(foreground),than a SAAMI 22-250 in ANY twist rate. Awaken the Dragon and a fast twist 22-250AI is assuredly a wicked sonofabitch,if only because I've a few of them too.

Heavy Hart...fast twist 22-250AI,numbers matching M40A1 return,Badger ring/rail,Reupold Mk4 M1 16x,yada,yada,yada. I flog on a Kreiger 1-7.7" in a Classic too.

[Linked Image]

Given the info cited,the OEM 243Win STEALS the fhuqking show and it ain't even fhuqking close. "Trouble" is,the OP is already there and that obvious is too much.(grin)

Double Trouble,because it'll flog on a Bob and Better Bob to boot. Not that it's very difficult to slap a Quarterbore around. Hint.

DBM's inlet easily.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

MQ's smoke MD's...though even a Fixed Fhuqker MD soundly trumps most efforts.

Do a Sig LRF,6x MQ and DBM on the 243 in your mitts.

Thank me later,though it's easy for me to say,mainly because I've got 'em all.

Hint........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It must be the $hits to wake up every morning like you do and still be as short and stupid as you were in kindergarten...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same guy who was talking a couple a years ago about what a 'goat fugg' my 8 twist 243 was. Guess he's a coupla years behind. Laffin'!

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
With a standard 22-250 being able to deliver over 3350 fps with 80 grain bullets, I don't see it as being so bad. It's no 223 AI, of course, but it ain't bad.
Still, if you are bored witha perfectly good set-up the way it is, it makes perfect sense to go with something which allows you to get special order dies and spend some quality time forming cases. The 6mm-250AI would do the trick in this regard. Special dies, form cases, and nicely match your 243 for performance; perfect. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
With a standard 22-250 being able to deliver over 3350 fps with 80 grain bullets, I don't see it as being so bad. It's no 223 AI, of course, but it ain't bad.
Still, if you are bored witha perfectly good set-up the way it is, it makes perfect sense to go with something which allows you to get special order dies and spend some quality time forming cases. The 6mm-250AI would do the trick in this regard. Special dies, form cases, and nicely match your 243 for performance; perfect. GD

LOL

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not get the gunsmith to punch the chamber to 243 AI?

Would be keen to see just how much extra performance you do eke from that mod?

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just had a nice chat with the 'smith today. The choice is still between the 22-250AI and the .243 AI..

We talked 75-105gr pills in various flavors. Left the decision to me and what I decide to go with. I will update when I choose.

Til then I will play with the 140gr accubonds I got from him in my .280....

Hunt...
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
greydog is likely one of the finest smiths you'll ever talk to. He gave you solid advice, albeit tongue in cheek.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Big fan of sardonicism here. Big fan. laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Standard 22-250 pushing 80gr bullets over 3350? Please enlighten me.

Hunt...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
shrapnel,

I'll feign my "surprise",that the ONLY fhuqking move you have,is to go right to Whining with your Imagination and it's Pretend...so as to avoid ALL things The Rifle. Congratulations?!?

You Opiate Addled Clueless Coke Bottle Fhuqk.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

'Nut,

I've never maligned an 8" 243Win and VERY much enjoy that you could conjure enough Imagination and Pretend,so as to "think" otherwise. Congratulations?!?

Now I've ZERO fhuqking doubt,that due your inherent STRUPIDITY,the blueprint was fully botched and an absolute pile of Steaming Schit. Do include the "particulars" and be sure to go for the throat,as you dangle pics to the "contrary". Laughing!

Cain't know which is funnier,the Silence,STUPIDITY,Imagination,Pretend,Plagiarism or outright Lies?!?

Bless your heart,you "lucky" kchunt.

Laughing!................

greydog,

Your sheer and utter fhuqking Cluelessness,never disappoints in it's oblivious hilarity,as you do your "best" to convince yourself that you have a first fhuqking clue. Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be best served by asking questions,instead of giving "answers". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

Brad,

Your Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqkery grants you an uncanny ability to suck ass. Congratulations?!?

Mebbe chime in with "all" your "experience" in .224 and .243 High RPM offerings and obliviously quantify your magnificent STUPIDITY,just a touch more. Looking forward to the Excuses and the Whine. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...........

'17,

I hear good thangs about the 243AI and 105's................(grin)

SKane,

You are apparently a big fan of Clueless Fhuqks. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

CBB,

She's talking out her ass...as per her always.

3350fps with an 80 of any flavor,is leaning on a 22-250AI fair to middlin',as you obviously know. It's a fhuqking Pipe Dream in the SAAMI wrapper.

While I've lotsa love for a High RPM 22-250AI,the 243Win in your mitts is a Giant Killer on all levels,with but a modicum of thought tossed in it's behalf.

Sig LRF's are still under 400 clams(I ordered one yesterday and a pard ordered one today) and they are THE pick of the litter. Hint.

MQ's are fixing to be on Sale in but a week and they are THE pick of the litter at more than twice their regular price. Hint.

DBM's are somewhat subjective and not a "must have" in 243Win,but a "nice to have",for reasons cited above. They connect alotta dots. I'd always rather go ADL over BDL,due an increase in rugged reliability and the metallurgical advantages inherent same.

I of course have multiple High RPM 22-250AI's and 243AI's and think highly of both. With a capable 243Win SAAMI in my mitts,I'd do neither one and would simply shoot THE fhuqk outta the OEM spout and with 105's expressly. That'd be ala Lapooey false shouldered positive headspaced 308 Virgins,'17,200's and a square smooched 105 Hornie HPBT.

Mighta ordered a 1-8" 20" SAAMI 243Win Krunchenticker spout last night too,as 105 smooches at 2900fps+ in a Self-Shucker do not suck.

Hint.(grin)

Tried to get hold of Greg today,to order a 1-8" MTU contour for my next 270 build and even more 105's,but this [bleep] Ice Hurricane does reception no favors.

My 8" no-turn 20" 6BR is no slouch and I LOVE it,but a Vanilla SAAMI 243Win has an unbelievable pile driving ass,when launching 105's.

I'd dangle pics,but am trying not to spook the hole and HOPING that these Clueless Fhuqks give The Rifle a whirl...but them odds is gawwdamned fhuqking slim.

For some reason.(grin)

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Laughing!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
24HR never fails to entertain!

Thanks, gentlemen. smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey 'Stick, Shaddup!

CBB,
Little Stick, that legend in his own mind, is, as usual, speaking from the wrong orifice.
This velocity was easily achieved, from a 28 inch barrel , mind you, with a liberal dose of 4831sc. Everything about the rifle was just fine except for one thing, it didn't shoot as well as other rifles I had which were also better in the wind. Since it's sole purpose was as a target rifle and I hate to compete with a handicap out of the gate.
Of course, a handicap doesn't stop everyone. Witness the 'Stick. Despite being a brainless twit, he has no problem painting a vebal picture, albeit abstract, of his fantasyland.
I strongly suspect the 22-250 would be hard pressed to hit 3300 from a 24 inch barrel. I can't say what the AI version would because I've not tried it; nor will I. I'm sure the 'stick has tried it or, at least imagined it, and will cheerfully spew forth on the subject. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd rebarrel it to a .243.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Okay, so after the chat with the 'smith yesterday as well as the spirited musings posted here... Reading load data and some specs.

How has everyone fared with the 80gr ttsx or similar in the .243? That bullet should provide around 3300fps and handle anything from paper to yotes and deer quite easily.
If I want to shoot a 100+ gr projectile I will shoot either of my quarter bores.

Hunt...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CBB

Ideas, suggestions???

I'd keep it a 243. Put the money into a McMillan for it and the best scope you can possibly afford. Then shoot it a lot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CBB

Ideas, suggestions???

I'd keep it a 243. Put the money into a McMillan for it and the best scope you can possibly afford. Then shoot it a lot.

Something like that....you don't need a McMillan, put a B&C stock on it, if you rebarrel, make it a slow twist, don't need the most expensive scope, A Leupold VX2 will do, put it in windage adjustable mounts, keep your old style Remington trigger,and Don't use any H335 in it, and shoot bullets with a BC under .500 This will all make Stick happy to post more drivel, and wonder of wonders, it will still shoot accurately, work well, and kill schitt! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.