Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My wife's Boer Goats started to hatch yesterday. Twins to start off with and we will see what we get. Always been a cow man myself but them little bleaters are kind of cute.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
not many things cuter than a baby goat.....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
no goats here, but we have a few hair sheep. Lambing is same as done here.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We raised Nubians for a number of years. Afterum is right, cutest things on earth when they are young!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Been fooling with goats for the last 5 years last year I bought 10 alpine does for $50 each and bought a toggenberg buck for $75 lost one older doe during the summer the rest waited until we had a foot of snow on the ground and temps hovering around zero to kid all had twins one nanny had slipped on ice and couldnt stand her first kid was breach and to big to pull ended up shooting her and cutting out the other one out and bottle feeding it ended up selling all but two I can make more money selling the hay I feed them.

IC B2

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
another pair of twins this morning

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They make good tacos...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Owl
They make good tacos...
and good BBQ

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We raise meat goats. One of the things I like most about raising goats is the rapid reproductive rate...get to see new little ones all the time.

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes you do, and you do not need to feed them for 2 years like a calf. The little jumpers are going strong and the best part is having the little kids out to play with them.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just curious, how long does it take for them to reach butchering size and how much meat do you typically get from one?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't bend over to work on anything while a Buck is around. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Walmart "Bighorn Sheep"...

A few years ago my Wife and I went to Walmart and as we were parking I noticed about six young Walmart employees pointing and commenting towards a beat up old Van. Out of curiosity I had to go see what they were so captivated about concerning this vehicle.

As I walked up I was hearing comments about how "Bighorn Sheep are protected" and it was illegal to have one in a van let alone possess one. These young employees had called the Police to report the "Bighorn Sheep" locked in a van in the parking lot.

So I went up and looked in the windshield to see this Bighorn for myself. In the back of a stripped out van was a long haired gray Buck Goat. All I could do was shake my head and wonder about the education our kids are getting these days.

As I was walking away a motorcycle officer pulled up and asked me if the van was mine. I smiled and told him "No...but I really wish it was!...This whole mess could be a lot of fun to expose!". He looked at me funny so I shook my head again and told him "It's just a Goat" and laughed as I continued on my way.

I hope I was able to help the Goat owner out a bit because I'm not even sure this "City Officer" would have assessed the true situation as it should have been assessed. There are no Az laws against having "Livestock" in your vehicle. I was once again reminded of how irrational this country is truly getting because of inadequate education.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Just curious, how long does it take for them to reach butchering size and how much meat do you typically get from one?
depends on what you want but typically 6 months to 1 1/2 years, carcass weight is about 1/2 of live weight

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a herd of Nubian/Spanish cross about 25 last count. I've had 10 kids with 8 surviving this spring and one more momma to go. I'm working on a dairy herd for cheese, soap and milk. I've had mine for about 5 years now. I started with 3 Spanish goats to clear a field and got hooked!

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My hat is off to you raising and milking goats, I do not want to milk cows anymore. Cute little springers though

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It's just a hobby farm at this point - if I could just retire and be a full-time goat farmer - I'd be a happy girl! I've decided I'm using this time to work the kinks out- LOL!

I'm growing some veggies and herbs too. It's just keeping the goats and the garden away from each other!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hat is off to you too! 25 is a good start to a serious Hobby!

Some Goat and Sheep owners make fair money around here renting them out to clear Fields.

May I suggest making up a "It's just a Goat!" sign to put in your windshield in case you need to stop by Walmart on the way to or from the Vet with any in the future? lol

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I love it!,! My best transport story is bringing home one of my first adolescent goat in the backseat of my Mustang! I still have the goat but not the Mustang!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,399
Posts18,506,941
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.