Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, I sent you a PM a few days ago. You been standin' me up! wink

Say hello to Riley for me. It's been years since I met him with you that day.
Ted

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My cousin took both of his big bears with a 270 and 150 grain Bronze points....

The 270 Bronze Points only came in 130 gr, 150 Bronze Points were 30 cal.

Having said that, I have killed quite a few "big" bears with a 270, including one that fell at my feet, literally close enough to touch with the muzzle of the rifle.

Don't tell Ingwe that either, smile

Ted

I do believe there were 150 Bronze Points for the 270 for some years. I know the 180 in 30-06 were one of my early introductions to the magic of ballistics. (The terminal effect of those 'big' bullets in plastic water containers, while enthusiastic, were amazingly weak in terms of penetration, exceeded even in some regards by simple old 40 grain RN bullets from a 22 LR.) Heavy game bullets they most certainly aren't.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
Not at home, prepping for a few Kodiak bear hunts and out of most coverage... just discovered the notion of a hotspot on my phone... By the time I figured that out you were back from Sitka. All I could do was chant "Channel Club" over and over!

Last time we had lunch I believe I told you Riley was going to make me a grandfather, which happened 1/16/16.

He is doing very well in virtually all respects. He did burn up the bearings on his mini-boat today looking for good spots to place black bear bait stations... but that just shows he wants to break as much stuff as I have and I have a huge lead!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My cousin took both of his big bears with a 270 and 150 grain Bronze points....

The 270 Bronze Points only came in 130 gr, 150 Bronze Points were 30 cal.

Having said that, I have killed quite a few "big" bears with a 270, including one that fell at my feet, literally close enough to touch with the muzzle of the rifle.

Don't tell Ingwe that either, smile

Ted

I do believe there were 150 Bronze Points for the 270 for some years. I know the 180 in 30-06 were one of my early introductions to the magic of ballistics. (The terminal effect of those 'big' bullets in plastic water containers, while enthusiastic, were amazingly weak in terms of penetration, exceeded even in some regards by simple old 40 grain RN bullets from a 22 LR.) Heavy game bullets they most certainly aren't.

Roger that. I do remember the 150 and 180 gr 30 cal Bronze Points, but never saw or heard of 150s in 270 cal.

The 130s certainly shot flat, but made a terrible mess in sheep and caribou. You certainly didn't want to hit them anywhere but in the lungs.

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, congratulations Grampa!

My apologies for the brief hijack,
Ted

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
I suspect you are "Forgiven" with appropriate leeway for double entendre... wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I do believe there were 150 Bronze Points for the 270 for some years. I know the 180 in 30-06 were one of my early introductions to the magic of ballistics. (The terminal effect of those 'big' bullets in plastic water containers, while enthusiastic, were amazingly weak in terms of penetration,

... Heavy game bullets they most certainly aren't.

Ain't that the Truth! !

ONE WT was all it took for me to 'forsake' the Bronze Points and I was SO very disappointed. Good Looking, Sleek, Point Deformation protection--ALL for nuttin.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Cindy Rhodes shot a Kodiak bear that remains in the top 10, All-Time B&C.

The 7x57 piled him up with a single shot...

Dang it, Now you've gone & done it !! frown

Let the cat out of The bag ! ! grin

Don't tell Inger ! laugh

Jerry

I saw that post! As long as theres armchair quarterbacking going on here I'll say I would have no qualms about shooting a brown bear with a 7x57 and 175 NPTs...

Except i sold my 7x57 to Rev Mike whistle

That leaves nothing but my wife's '06 for big guns...

And I would listen to Phil and say I would indeed use use with a 200 NPT on a brown bear.....

if one ever wanders by the house.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

I saw that post! As long as theres armchair quarterbacking going on here I'll say I would have no qualms about shooting a brown bear with a 7x57 and 175 NPTs...

I'll loan you mine wink

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I'll loan you mine wink

you pay for the hunt, and I'll do it! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by John55
The outfit I hunted brown bears with recommended nothing smaller than a 375, with 416 being preferable. I used my 33 G&A and did just fine but they were skeptical about it, being as they had seen poor results with the 338. They also preferred soft bullets, namely Hornady round nosed type.

"Guide" and "Knowledgeable about guns" are far from synonymous...

I think he and his family are a bit more experienced in Alaskan hunting than most on this forum, been in business since 1974 and is a master guide. Also hunts world wide and was IPHA in 2005. He knows what works in his area and for his clients.

Last edited by John55; 04/10/16.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I'll loan you mine wink

you pay for the hunt, and I'll do it! laugh

I wish I could just pay for mine frown

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
.Thats gonna be tough to do when you are paying for mine first.....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll start saving.............tomorrow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, standing by for the 'I shot a ten foot brown bear with a 22 story with no problems' post.... Never shot brown bear, but from what I can tell, when it comes to calibers, they are much like bra sizes; the bigger the better...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Procrastinator.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Procrastinator.

I'll do better in the future wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And I would listen to Phil and say I would indeed use use with a 200 NPT on a brown bear.....

if one ever wanders by the house.

Yep, at this point I am 'armchairing it'. That's what dreams are made of.

I haven't had the op YET to hunt Elk, but I put in for the draw EVERY yr. I am prepared - rifle/load/bullet>>practice. smile

I probably will never get to hunt Brown Bear but I LOVE the idea and AM prepared - rifleS - load/bullet>>practice.

Ingwe this is NOT directed at you. Some people don't believe you can learn anything W/O doing it. smirk

I guess some people can't/aren't prepared to do MUCH. frown

As to The REV.- he now has the 'liability'. grin

AND yes I would confidently use a 30-06 or 7 RM or 300 WM all loaded with Controlled Expansion bullets.

SO - I guess the Alaska G & F C recognizes the queer 270 as adequate for Brown Bear! whistle Sounds MANLY to me. wink

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/11/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pretty typical Campfire thread on cartridges for hunting game larger than deer, whether elk, African plains game or big bears: The votes for bigger rifles come from hunters who either have never hunted the game in question, or maybe have done it once or twice and believed their guide that a bigger rifle's required.

This isn't because their guide is so experienced, but because like many hunters, many guides believe particular cartridges work better than any others, when the bullet and shooter are MUCH more important factors. Such guides tend to be surprised when a smaller cartridge than they believe necessary kills an animal quickly, even when it happens over and over again.

I've hunted with a few guides here than there, and while some are very knowledgeable about hunting rifles and bullets, most are not.
Consequently, over the decades I've developed a ballistic BS detector concerning advice on rifles for big game larger than deer:

1) The farther the hunter lives from the animal in question, the larger the cartridge necessary. This is most common if the hunter has never hunted (or even seen) the game in question.

2) If the person dispensing advice firmly mentions a minimum bullet diameter and weight, they're stuck back in the early 20th century with Elmer Keith.

3) The same as 3 except they firmly advise a "magnum." Often this is part of 3.

4) They state that anybody who "can't handle the recoil of an adequate rifle" shouldn't hunt the game in question.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen this thread for a while now and I keep pushing past it. I just used my best self discipline to walk away.

However this morning It got the best of me. I've worked in this business with the big costal brownies for a part of my early hunting career and my life. There are a few things that I learned with this "recreational" pursuit that were life changing, and likely helped me survive the next part of my future has a Professional hunter in Africa.

To start off, realize that the 7mm is almost 17% smaller in surface area then a 30/06 so when the references are made that if a 30/06 is good so is a 7mm. Would you take a nearly 17% pay cut? Like to be 17% shorter? maybe add 17% more fat to your frame? Pay 17% more taxes?

Also there should be an understanding of what the design intent is of a generally light weight bullet at very high velocity. This is a long range, medium game, flat shooting open country design intent. The 7mm is all this in spades!

What is the requirement of a Brown bear bullet/ cartridge combination? The shooting distance or range will very likely be under or around 100 yards. The animal weight will be likely pushing 800-1000lbs.

So simply from a design perspective this is a mismatch. The cost of this hunt for a non-resident is well in excess of 10,000 USD today.

As far as just some basic ethics and etiquette where cartridge selection is concerned. Everyone wants to go home to their families when the fun and accomplishment of the hunt is over. Nobody is hoping for a military type middle eastern survival, life and death situation. There is an element when you voluntarily walk into this type of hunt that has some life threatening element involved.

Remember though that this hunt with the associated costs, is not simply about killing a bear. The ultimate goal is killing a bear, returning home safe, and actually finding the bear you shoot. Deliberately going into this with a set of options and choosing the one that will most likely get a single .284 diameter hole into an 800-1000 pound animal. The bear could have 3-4" of fat under the skin, and 2-3" long thick hair to soak up the blood. All while hunting in the rain soaked bush for an animal that rarely leaves tracks you can follow in all but the best conditions.

While I was only in my mid 20's and early 30's working in this business in Alaska, Those years were very much a part of my formable youth. The comments I listen to from the then " old timers" were some of the things that still echo in the back of my mind today. Most if not all of the hunting lore they imparted on me are as true right now as they were in the 1960's.

There is no catch and release in hunting. The Brown bear is not a cartoon creature that plays nice with others. This is not a video game where you can start over when you run out of lives. It's a real situation that requires a serious level of good decisions along the way, to ensure you get home safe! I close with the soap box rant by saying that you can haul a good deal of firewood in a camero, but that does not make it the right tool for the job.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 72 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.