Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So how do so many bow hunter manage to kill big bear with arrows with only 80lbs of kinetic energy every year ?

Placement, placement and placement !!! Good bullets with a reasonably powered cartridge 7x57, 270 ,280 ,30-06 on up to WHAT YOU CAN SHOOT ACCURATELY will get it done.

Choices

A)Shoot a 7x57 175 gr bullet into bears vitals........ DEAD BEAR

B)Shoot a 338 Win mag into the gut ....... ANGRY WOUNDED BEAR

I will chose A

Im not opposed to big caliber magnums and I can shoot them well but I have seen many hunter who can not but seem to think the more power will anchor his game faster regardless of where its hit.

Last edited by yar; 04/11/16.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by John55
The outfit I hunted brown bears with recommended nothing smaller than a 375, with 416 being preferable. I used my 33 G&A and did just fine but they were skeptical about it, being as they had seen poor results with the 338. They also preferred soft bullets, namely Hornady round nosed type.

"IF" your outfitter said that then he's an a$$hole!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I guided a couple Texans with 340Wbys

It's always a Weatherby and (almost) always Texans. At least they could shoot.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI

No slam intended on those fellas... they did just fine with their rifles and all that noise and recoil... they were the exception.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience is some outfitters are not particularly knowledgeable about guns as they are the game they pursue.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH
When it comes to this discussion of 30 caliber being "more" of everything than 7mm and smaller stuff, I'm going to string along with JJ Hack,since i assume that's where he was headed without saying exactly so.

I did not have time to read everything in the thread.

I like and use 7mm's but think the reason they perform well is that the heavier bullet weights creep squarely into the middle 30 caliber range. You may end up with dead stuff with either but side by side and shot into enough animals, i think that a 30 caliber magnum with a 200 gr bullet is more gun than a 7mm shooting a 160 to 175 gr. Shoot enough animals with both and you will see more damage from the 30's,assuming bullet structure is the same. It simply has the advantage in bullet weight and expanded frontal area(cross section of expanded bullets).

I had some knowledgeable and very experienced trophy elk hunters tell me this back in the 1980's and made the observations many times myself using 300's on elk sized animals.

With heavy 30 caliber bullets at magnum velocities,these guys felt the 30 caliber magnums broke up heavy bone,penetrated more reliably,destroyed more tissue.

This does not mean I doubt the capabilities of 7mm magnums with good heavy bullets,since they work too, but I simply think the 30 caliber magnums with good 180-200 gr bullets are "more gun" based on what I've seen,assuming equally good bullets.

Before shooting real premium bullets I said lots of the same things you are saying... but I now realize I was very wrong.

Since I started shooting X bullets in most everything I have seen a huge difference in penetration and real World performance on critters. I have recovered almost none and those were from Riley's stuff rather than my own.

I have never recovered a single one in lightweight examples shot fast into big animals. At the same time I have yet to see a pass-through with an Accubond. I saw a broadside brown bear stop four of them two years ago. They were 375H&H driven.

I have put a bunch of the 270gr X in several iterations through brown bears without ever catching a single one and many of those were coming or going shots that went full length through the bears...

I believe those deep wound channels with a leak at each end are important to killing. Moreso than a bigger hole that stops before it reaches the other side.

Having shot more than a few critters now with the monos, I believe they changed the game...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI

The two guys that another guide and I guided more than 30 years ago, a father and a son, both had Lazermarks in 340, shooting 275 gr semi-spitzer Speer handloads. I well remember the bullet used in their loads, because they had contacted me before coming to hunt, and asked about it. I had used the 250 gr Speer in my 358 Norma Mag for years, and figured 25 more grains in a smaller bullet certainly wouldn't handicap.

They were from Lake Charles, Louisiana, and could both surely shoot the rifles and the load. That Speer did alright, too.

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This 375 minimum talk has surprised me. I thought the 338 and 340 were universally accepted in the Brown Bear world?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
This 375 minimum talk has surprised me. I thought the 338 and 340 were universally accepted in the Brown Bear world?

They are... along with the '06, 270, 7x57, and a bunch more... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was going to get into the whole bullet thing,since i was shooting "premiums" at elk and brown bear in the 80's and 90's ( Bitterroots), which are every bit the equal of anything out there today in terminal performance.So....premium bullets aren't anything new to me. I was using them before many on here were born.

But i did not want to get into bullet discussions, because I'm not writing an article,and don't want to take the time to cover another subject.

Obviously, the bullets can make these distinctions between cartridges a bit fuzzy,making smaller cartridges behave a good deal "bigger",especially in the case of premiums lie the Bitterroot, partition, and Barnes etc etc.. I also tried to couch my comments with qualifiers like "bullets being equal" but I guess i did not make my thoughts clear enough.

Also, the same bullet technology that benefits the smaller calibers ( 7mm say), benefits the larger calibers as well ( 30 caliber) so the relationships remain unchanged.

So, no , I don't think I was wrong about the relationship between the 7mm's and the 30's. I have been watching the effects of Bitterroots driven at high velocity from magnum cartridges from 7mm to 375 since the 80's, in the real world, on animals. I would turn a 165 BBC from a 300 magnum on a brown bear in a heartbeat. The results would be devastating.I have seen what happens to elk. Turns their innards to jello.

I don't think it matters a lick in terminal performance if a bullet exits or doesn't. So long as the bullet destroys everything passing from entry to the off side hide, the damage is done,and the hide is a bullet trap.

OTOH I have never had a Partition or a Bitterroot stop "partway" through a brown bear..any that I have used passed completely through the bear to the offside hide or exited, and made a mess in the wound channels. Moot point...really,,,the recovered BBC above was the only one of three recovered, the other two blasting through.

I have no idea what bullets do shot lengthwise in brown bear. I've never shot them that way.

I don't use Accubonds on anything. I'll stand by my comments on 7mm's vs 300 magnums.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Tenacious, ain't ya?

They call me the bulldog. Better watch out, bro! smile

Actually I should have phrased that differently. I watched the elk drop and walked right to her. Then I back tracked her looking to see what things looked like. I was surprised not to find any blood at all.

You trailed it for 50 years?

Oops! Typo. Yards. Dang autocorrect.

I was gonna say I thought you were a very tenacious tracker. smile

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The tracking part was only a few minutes. The pack out felt like 50 years though!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread sure turned into a "Should I buy a 7mm Remington Magnum as an ultimate bear rifle?" thread.

I kind of think that wasn't how it was intended, and I will - though I realize there are better rifles out there- stand by the idea that a fellow who is very comfortable...confident...familiar with his 7Mag is going to be better served with it than by buying a brand spanking new 338 or 375 for a hunt in another month. 175 Partitions are available factory loaded. I'm sure an adequate iteration - 160/175 grains - of the Barnes TSX is as well.

To paraphrase and interpolate what Mr. Shoemaker has been known to say about the '06, "If you can't get it done with that, it ain't the rifle's fault." And a well directed bullet trumps a lot of other 'deficiencies'.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've wondered just how important having the bullet leave an exit hole is? Yes you get two holes to leak out of, which may leave a decent/better blood trail. And depending on the location of the bullet channel, you've gotten good penetration through everything in between, which is important, but is the second hole itself that important?

Say the bullet is lodged against the hide, with no exit hole. You still have almost the same wound channel in the critter and should have basically the same amount of blood loss, with the exception that more of the blood will pool inside the animal. That pooling itself can be fatal if it fills up the lungs, keeping some of the blood inside might actually be an advantage.

We often look at energy, and a fast moving light bullet can have the same energy as a slower moving heavy bullet. Say both bullets are well constructed such as a partition and both have the same energy. The kinetic energy (1/2 mass x velocity squared), is proportional to the velocity squared. The momentum (mass x velocity)is proportional to the velocity and the cartridge with the same kinetic energy but heavier bullet will have substantially more momentum. When a bullet hits an object, the bullets momentum and construction (not energy) will determine how closely it continues along it's intended path without deflection.

The heavier bullet of equal construction will also be that much tougher and less prone to failure, especially at the slower velocity. If in a less than ideal situation, the bullet has to go through tough bone, without deflecting from it's intended path, the heavier cartridge will have the edge. Also with the larger diameter of say a 9.3 or 375 bullet the chances of a decent blood trail should be much greater. As an example the 9.3 bullet starts out with 66% more cross sectional area than the .284 bullet.

All this assumes the hunter can actually place the bullet where it needs to go and that the larger diameter bullet can still manage to penetrate adequately.

Terminal ballistics loonism.

Last edited by Joezone; 04/11/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe not on brown bears, but with elk/deer/antelope I'd say that be seen a direct correlation between whether a bullet exits and how fast they drop. The correlation being, if the bullet doesn't exit, it means it expanded rapidly and the critter doesn't go far.

As I said, that may not apply to larger game, but on the smaller ones it definitely does.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I was going to get into the whole bullet thing,since i was shooting "premiums" at elk and brown bear in the 80's and 90's ( Bitterroots), which are every bit the equal of anything out there today in terminal performance.So....premium bullets aren't anything new to me. I was using them before many on here were born.

But i did not want to get into bullet discussions, because I'm not writing an article,and don't want to take the time to cover another subject.

Obviously, the bullets can make these distinctions between cartridges a bit fuzzy,making smaller cartridges behave a good deal "bigger",especially in the case of premiums lie the Bitterroot, partition, and Barnes etc etc.. I also tried to couch my comments with qualifiers like "bullets being equal" but I guess i did not make my thoughts clear enough.

Also, the same bullet technology that benefits the smaller calibers ( 7mm say), benefits the larger calibers as well ( 30 caliber) so the relationships remain unchanged.

So, no , I don't think I was wrong about the relationship between the 7mm's and the 30's. I have been watching the effects of Bitterroots driven at high velocity from magnum cartridges from 7mm to 375 since the 80's, in the real world, on animals. I would turn a 165 BBC from a 300 magnum on a brown bear in a heartbeat. The results would be devastating.I have seen what happens to elk. Turns their innards to jello.

I don't think it matters a lick in terminal performance if a bullet exits or doesn't. So long as the bullet destroys everything passing from entry to the off side hide, the damage is done,and the hide is a bullet trap.

OTOH I have never had a Partition or a Bitterroot stop "partway" through a brown bear..any that I have used passed completely through the bear to the offside hide or exited, and made a mess in the wound channels. Moot point...really,,,the recovered BBC above was the only one of three recovered, the other two blasting through.

I have no idea what bullets do shot lengthwise in brown bear. I've never shot them that way.

I don't use Accubonds on anything. I'll stand by my comments on 7mm's vs 300 magnums.

Wow

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joezone
I've wondered just how important having the bullet leave an exit hole is? Yes you get two holes to leak out of, which may leave a decent/better blood trail. And depending on the location of the bullet channel, you've gotten good penetration through everything in between, which is important, but is the second hole itself that important?

Say the bullet is lodged against the hide, with no exit hole. You still have almost the same wound channel in the critter and should have basically the same amount of blood loss, with the exception that more of the blood will pool inside the animal. That pooling itself can be fatal if it fills up the lungs, keeping some of the blood inside might actually be an advantage.

We often look at energy, and a fast moving light bullet can have the same energy as a slower moving heavy bullet. Say both bullets are well constructed such as a partition and both have the same energy. The kinetic energy (1/2 mass x velocity squared), is proportional to the velocity squared. The momentum (mass x velocity)is proportional to the velocity and the cartridge with the same kinetic energy but heavier bullet will have substantially more momentum. When a bullet hits an object, the bullets momentum and construction (not energy) will determine how closely it continues along it's intended path without deflection.

The heavier bullet of equal construction will also be that much tougher and less prone to failure, especially at the slower velocity. If in a less than ideal situation, the bullet has to go through tough bone, without deflecting from it's intended path, the heavier cartridge will have the edge. Also with the larger diameter of say a 9.3 or 375 bullet the chances of a decent blood trail should be much greater. As an example the 9.3 bullet starts out with 66% more cross sectional area than the .284 bullet.

All this assumes the hunter can actually place the bullet where it needs to go and that the larger diameter bullet can still manage to penetrate adequately.

Terminal ballistics loonism.

I disagree with just about everything in this, just saying...

The exit hole is usually larger than the entrance and bleeds far more freely. Filling the lungs with blood is not as effective as draining the whole unit. Blood pressure remains high as long as there is fluid to fill the heart and allow it to move it. No fluid to pump and blood pressure crashes and animal falls down.

I have never had an issue with penetration with the monos, nor with the notion that there is a paradigm change in the nature of wound channels between jackets and monos...

The heavy bruising well away from the wound channel and tremendous areas of bloodshot meat in jacketed bullets is very different from the "sliced and diced" looking mono wound channel with little bloodshot meat and free-flowing blood...

The advantages in reduced meat loss aside, the double ended hole makes a great deal of difference to me. And I do not find the bullet diameter makes as much difference as the bullet construction in regard to how freely the wound bleeds.

And you may often look at energy and momentum and all that, but I have almost no interest in the issue and find it without merit as a marker on the road to understanding how stuff dies.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Does a Barnes that does not exit kill less quickly?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like jokes in Germany and virgins in Denmark, retained Barnes bullets do not exist!
wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like jokes in Germany and virgins in Denmark, retained Barnes bullets do not exist!
wink

C'mon Art....you know they do! Here and there,now and then. smile

BTW I'm not dumping on the penetration capabilities of a Barnes,or how they work. Just that any expanding bullet will be stopped sometimes.

The bear that stopped this one did not go 30 feet. What killed him,the two that exited and blew blood all over the beach, or this one that got trapped on the offside hide?

Quien Sabe? smile

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,522
Posts18,509,699
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.