Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,578 of 1,842 1 2 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like our winters here for the most part

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had an interesting experience this morning. got out right at first light, heard the gobblers gobble and come off the roost. got set up perfectly in an open spot in a draw. I called, they answered back and forth as they were coming in. for 45 minutes I watch them slowly get closer and closer. the biggest tom was huge! he was at full strut almost the whole time! finally he saw my feeble looking "funky chicken" decoy and started thumping his wings and coming straight at it. when he got to 60 yards I grabbed my bow. my heart was pounding and I knew I was going to get him. all of a sudden BOOM and down he goes. some jackass with a shotgun shot him at the edge of my decoys! I stood up and the guy shouts "sorry" does the fist pump to his buddy and chases after the bird shooting at it 2 more times. I collected my gear and hiked out disgusted.
there was no way he didn't hear my calling or see my decoys. I was livid, but it was public land. what are you gonna do. I have seen/heard more and more encounters like this where people have no regard or respect for others.
oh well, still plenty of time left in the season. It would have been perfect though for my first archery turkey, the morning was beautiful, the birds worked in awesome. I went home, took my girls to breakfast and did chores around the place. took the boat out for the first time for a bit. I'm done hunting on the weekends though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That sure sucks!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have had to find his vehicle,scratch "Im sorry too"
on the drivers door for him.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now that takes balls!!

I can't imagine someone doing something like that to another hunter. It doesn't even register on the dumbass chart.....

Good luck in the future Ryan with your bow!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started a batch of apple butter this morning. When I was done getting it all in the crock pot I saw I had some time to hunt so I went out and hiked way back in, away from other people. all I managed to call in were 3 coyotes. closest one was 5' on the other side of a cedar. only one I had a shot at was 45 yards, shot right over him. it was fun though to lock eyes with a song dog that close!

gonna go later this week when some friends are visiting. still can't believe what happened, happened. nothing I can do to change it, just keep trying to whack one.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
best thread ever on this section

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wheels are all ready spinning for this fall. One of our members EFW and his buddy will be joining me and my son at deer camp in Pennsylvania this fall. We've been talking for a few month and it looks like it's going to happen. I'll leave Minneapolis early on Thanksgiving morning and drive as far as South Bend, Indiana, and then finish off the drive on Friday. Can't wait to get back on the hill again, and spend some quality time with another Campfire member. Will be matching up with Dale K while at camp, and maybe other 'Fire members if anyone's in or passing through our neck of the woods.

Last edited by gophergunner; 04/10/16.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome, I talk/text EFW every so often, we're working on a SD hunt and have been for a few years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ryan-would you care to join me down there some time? We're pretty full this year, but maybe the next time I go down, maybe year after next?

Last edited by gophergunner; 04/10/16.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't rule it out, I know we're super busy that time of year so I may have to evaluate closer to season. Thank you for the invite!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
that's awesome Jeff! That should be a fun trip!

Ryan, that's a crazy hunting story! I have one similar but not quite so bad.

5-6 years ago I was hunting on a farm in WI that only gave us permission to be there. My daughter and I had a group of 15 hens, a few jakes, and a tom working their way to across a grown up pasture. The hens were fighting and making all kinds of ruckus! They were within 100yds of us and all of a sudden the jakes stopped strutting, and all the birds took flight. Weird.? Wonder what that .... then 3 guys got up off out of a rock pile and started across the pasture to the birds. I got out of the blind and yelled "HEY!" They stopped, looked at us, and jogged back to the south to a different farm.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I won't rule it out, I know we're super busy that time of year so I may have to evaluate closer to season. Thank you for the invite!
Yeah, it makes it a little tough for us folks with a long drive as it always starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately they still have the old Blue Laws too. No Sunday hunting, and no semi-automatic rifles are legal. Remington pumps are very popular out there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It has snowed every night and some during the days this week, but it melts by days end.

How 'bout now, Dave ?

We've got 8 inches on the ground again !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
had an interesting experience this morning. got out right at first light, heard the gobblers gobble and come off the roost. got set up perfectly in an open spot in a draw. I called, they answered back and forth as they were coming in. for 45 minutes I watch them slowly get closer and closer. the biggest tom was huge! he was at full strut almost the whole time! finally he saw my feeble looking "funky chicken" decoy and started thumping his wings and coming straight at it. when he got to 60 yards I grabbed my bow. my heart was pounding and I knew I was going to get him. all of a sudden BOOM and down he goes. some jackass with a shotgun shot him at the edge of my decoys! I stood up and the guy shouts "sorry" does the fist pump to his buddy and chases after the bird shooting at it 2 more times. I collected my gear and hiked out disgusted.
there was no way he didn't hear my calling or see my decoys. I was livid, but it was public land. what are you gonna do. I have seen/heard more and more encounters like this where people have no regard or respect for others.
oh well, still plenty of time left in the season. It would have been perfect though for my first archery turkey, the morning was beautiful, the birds worked in awesome. I went home, took my girls to breakfast and did chores around the place. took the boat out for the first time for a bit. I'm done hunting on the weekends though.

What a disrespectful prick! I would have been livid too!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It has snowed every night and some during the days this week, but it melts by days end.

How 'bout now, Dave ?

We've got 8 inches on the ground again !

We got a dusting again last night, temps won't get above freezing today. We are supposed to see 60's for highs by thursday.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to drive across my septic lateral lines to get the boat out of the back yard, and every time I get ready to do it, the ground gets soft again from rain or snow. I'm just going to break down and put a hitch on the lawn tractor and haul the boat up front so I can get it ready. The crappies are getting close.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just stepped out on the porch to let Pixie the Wonderbeagle out to do her business. From the woods at the end of the street I could hear an owl hooting as it finished up the night shift. Immediately a thunderous gobble let loose from the neighbor's pine tree across the street. I could just make out two turkeys sitting in a big ash tree right next to the pine. Now all the neighborhood crows are getting at it, obviously trying to locate the owl. The buck cardinal that staked a claim to the maple tree in the front yard is singing his fool head off all ready too. 'Just another typical morning in the 'hood.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, hey, hey !

No snow overnight.

Was -20*c here this morning though. That's about -4*F, for you imperial guys !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Hey, hey, hey !

No snow overnight.

Was -20*c here this morning though. That's about -4*F, for you imperial guys !

Heck! Time to open the winders Paul! Let that spring air in!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1,578 of 1,842 1 2 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.