Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So i'm considering buying another FN made model 70 featherweight. I absolutely love them, except for the colour of the stain they apply to the walnut at factory.

Is it possible to remove this stain? I hope to just oil finish it afterwards so it looks like walnut should. Without the red tinge. Thanks.

You only live once.
HR IC

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
also, as of late I have seen a couple of these down here with a very different pistol grip shape than normal. Did winchester re-design this part of the stock? Bare in mind I am in australia

You only live once.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I at least am not aware of any changes to the stock design but that doesn't mean much. As far as changing the color, yes it is possible to use some finish remover and sand paper to get to the bare wood and make it more to your liking.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's better than some of the New Haven ones that looked like they were dipped in chocolate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up one of the earliest Featherweights put together in Portugal and its stock is the darkest piece of walnut I've ever seen on a gun. Not a hint of red.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thats good to hear. Really considering grabbing another.

You only live once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I'm color blind. But the new 280 Shot Show Special that just arrived, doesn't look any "redder" to me than the earlier ones.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I actually like the red.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The feather weight stock has gone through several iterations.
Not sure what FN is doing now but on the earlier FN models the Schnabel was abbreviated to more like a Rem 7 than the original. The pistol grip also seems closer or less open.

When production was moved to Portugal the stocks may have been changed back to more like the New Haven Models, I'm not sure. Seems like the super grade kept more to the late New Haven Pattern.

My New Haven stocks got the chocolate stain, I was thinking of stripping them and then using either a classic m70 red stain or alkanet root. So to each their own.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mines red.
[Linked Image]
After it gets beat up a bit it will be refinished.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Excuse my ignorance, but when you say more like the New Haven models are you referring to the colour of the walnut, or the stock pattern?

You only live once.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stock Pattern but the color is different too. More brown and opague. The above rifle looks to be the FN and just slightly different than the New Haven stocks. The fore end tip is less rounded and the peak is a little shorter than on the older stocks. Look at the McMillan fiberglass stock it was molded directly from an older USRAC stock.

Sorry I can't post a photo much easier to see that way.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A Winchester should have a red hue to it...in my opinion.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bisley
A Winchester should have a red hue to it...in my opinion.

If they'd put a red Decelerator on it, I think they'd have almost made up for the MOA trigger...although frankly I don't have an issue with it.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Stock Pattern but the color is different too. More brown and opague. The above rifle looks to be the FN and just slightly different than the New Haven stocks. The fore end tip is less rounded and the peak is a little shorter than on the older stocks. Look at the McMillan fiberglass stock it was molded directly from an older USRAC stock.

Sorry I can't post a photo much easier to see that way.

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying.

You only live once.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Be advised that if you strip off the factory finish (and that stain), you might not like what you find underneath. There's a reason gun manufacturers stain the hell out of their walnut - sapwood. You could wind up with a stock with about as much color as a piece of pine, or one that's part heartwood and part sapwood. Then you'll wind up having to re-stain the thing anyway.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I just "fixed" a current Mod 70, from a bad scrape and dent. PrimeBeef is correct. I couldn't believe what was under that finish. Whatever it was it wasn't furniture grade walnut. Also, one side was dark wood and the other side light, so I had to mix different gel stains to get it to match. Penetrating stains made it worse. You can tell that the modern process of production gun finishing is very different than the old days.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 21, 59 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,939
Posts18,498,888
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.