Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MD that is great info. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the first outfitters I worked for in South Africa swore that his 340 weatherby was the most lethal rifle ever made. I witnessed it absolutely clobber animals are ranges that I would have never expected. One Livingston Eland had escaped a breeding operation by jumping an 8' fence where is was kept. We watched this jump, so there is no doubt about it happening. Imagine seeing a 2000 lb animal as big as a black angus bull, a bison, or a bull moose make a running leap over an 8 foot fence!

Anyway, that bull was free ranging for a few weeks, no matter the effort or the attempts to dart it, we never managed to recapture it. The owner finally said that it was bad enough to lose the value of the animal, but he darn sure was not gonna lose the meat too. He sent us out to shoot it and get the meat back to him.

When we finally came upon this big bull at about 150 yards, Pieter shot it with this 340 weatherby. The impact was impressive and the bull folded on the spot, without a CNS hit, it was a lung shot. It still never took a step. In my career I've seen a lot of big eland shot with a lot of cartridges. Nothing I've ever seen has the pure crumple power of this 340 weatherby. It's in a class all it's own for decisive, and astonishing power. This was with factory Weatherby 250 grain ammo too. ( imagine the additional performance with a TSX today!)

As an interesting side note, the scope on that rifle was worth about 20 bucks, a Tasco. Never failed, always was dead on the money, and Pieter said he never touched the adjustments in at least ten years he owned it. I shot this rifle about 5 times in my life. Probably 2 times for "fun" to feel the power, and a couple more times for "emergency" situations that came up when it was all we had.

So this is the good news about the 340 weatherby....... The bad news is that the recoil was by a wide margin the most harsh I have ever felt from any gun. It made me temporarily blind at the moment of the shot. I seriously went black the instant I pulled the trigger. I also don't see this being sighted in from a bench for entertainment to shoot groups. I owned a 458Lott and I shot a 460 weatherby, Several 500 british cartridges and other massive "elephant guns" Nothing hit back to my 175pound anatomy like this 340 weatherby.

It is to this day the most lethal and tissue destructive cartridge I have ever witnessed. Like a 220 swift but for the biggest game, same results!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK
One of the first outfitters I worked for in South Africa swore that his 340 weatherby was the most lethal rifle ever made. I witnessed it absolutely clobber animals are ranges that I would have never have expected. One Livingston Eland had escaped a breeding operation by jumping an 8' fence where is was kept. We watched this jump, so there is no doubt about it happening. Imagine seeing a 2000 lb animal as big as a black angus bull, a bison, or a bull moose make a running leap over an 8 foot fence!

Anyway, that bull was free ranging for a few weeks, no matter the effort or the attempts to dart it, we never managed to recapture it. The owner finally said that it was bad enough to lose the value of the animal, but he darn sure was not gonna lose the meat too. He sent us out to shoot it and get the meat back to him.

When we finally came upon this big bull at about 150 yards, Pieter shot it with this 340 weatherby. The impact was impressive and the bull folded on the spot, without a CNS hit, it was a lung shot. It still never took a step. In my career I've seen a lot of big eland shot with a lot of cartridges. Nothing I've ever seen has the pure crumple power of this 340 weatherby. It's in a class all it's own for decisive astonishing power. This was with factory Weatherby 250 grain ammo too. ( imagine the additional performance with a TSX today!)

As an interesting side note, the scope on that rifle was worth about 20 bucks, a Tasco. Never failed, always was dead on the money, and Pieter said he never touched the adjustments in at least ten years he owned it. I shot this rifle about 5 times in my life. Probably 2 times for "fun" to feel the power, and a couple more times for "emergency" situations that came up when it was all we had.

So this is the good news about the 340 weatherby....... The bad news is that the recoil was by a wide margin the most harsh I have ever felt from any gun. It made me temporarily blind at the moment of the shot. I seriously went black the instant I pulled the trigger. I also don't see this being sighted in from a bench for entertainment to shoot groups. I owned a 458Lott and I shot a 460 weatherby, Several 500 british cartridges and other massive "elephant guns" Nothing hit back to my 175pound anatomy like this 340 weatherby.

It is to this day the most lethal and tissue destructive cartridge I have ever witnessed. Like a 220 swift but for the biggest game, same results!

Part of the crumple factor on a lung shot may have been because of, rather than in spite of, the Hornady supplied factory bullet rather than a "harder" option.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
MD that is great info. Thanks.

I second that salute.
I also appreciate the others entered too.

BTW - y'all can have my part of a 340 Wby! No shame, I just don't HAVE TO suffer that abuse.

I have shot the 375 H H multiple times and did NOT have any problem with it.
IfN I needed it, I can hunt a 375 HH.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one of the three bullet boards I kept for a while. This is the one with the most Barnes bullets on it.
[Linked Image]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had always heard the .338 Win mag was designed for the large bears. If/when I get to go for them I'd like to take an 8mm Rem mag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hack: o doubt in my mind that speed kills. The most impressive deer killer I've seen is my 257 Weatherby with 100GR Hornady Spire Points. Over fifty deer, and NOT ONE EVER, took a step. I've seen the big cats react to a 378 Weatherby like no other caliber, and Ross Seyfried writes the most impressive Buffalo killer he's seen is the 416 Weatherby. With today's modern bullets Weatherby calibers have really come into their own. When I decide to (finally) book a big bear hunt, my weapon of choice will probably be my 340 Weatherby Lazermark with either 250r TSXs or that superb 240r North Fork. The Lazermark's just to piss the haters off! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think ol' Roy himself liked the 257 Bee for African game.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is the bullet, not the size of the bore or name on the barrel, that kills and like others on this forum I too maintain a large collection of bullets recovered from bears, with data on hunter, type and weight of bullet and any other informative data. I am currently on box number four.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil, that's pretty cool. Lots of stories in those boxes!!!!

My collection is, well, ummmm, not nearly as robust. grin

225gr TTSX and 225gr Northforks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
It is the bullet, not the size of the bore or name on the barrel, that kills...

And that is impressive too, considering the source and experience.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

+1

I'll take Phil's word over that of anyone else when it comes to killing bears.

Of course bears are similar to other animals- they die when you shoot them. And contrary to old folklore and tradition, I've found that if you can properly place a bullet that opens up and wrecks tissue, bore size and cartridge are nearly irrelevant. Even on large critters.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by laker
How heavy is a brown bears shoulder bone structure compared to an elk or a moose?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

+1

I'll take Phil's word over that of anyone else when it comes to killing bears.

Of course bears are similar to other animals, they die when you shoot them. And contrary to old folklore and tradition, I've found that if you can properly place a bullet that opens up and wrecks tissue, bore size and cartridge are nearly irrelevant. Even on large critters.

+2

Pretty hard to argue with that kind of experience although some will no doubt try.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Yukoner,

What was the bullet in the second column from the left, third from the top?

I like the frontal diameter.

Sorry, but I will have to find it in the jar after I get back home, and then try to tell you.

It may be a Matrix Bonded Core, made here in Canada. That is pretty typical expansion for them. Here's one, a 270 gr 9.3 taken out of a big grizzly I got in 2011. It broke the big tubercle on the near shoulder, chopped up two vertebrae and stopped against the hide. Almost made it through, and still weighs a bit over 240 gr.

[Linked Image]

Ted

I need to try those Matrix bullets but sadly they don't make a 358 version so it will need to be a 6.5 or 277.

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How heavy is a brown bears shoulder bone structure compared to an elk or a moose?

Laker - You must have missed it. He answered your ? on P 9.
just tryin to help.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I answered your question right after you posted it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Missed Jwall's comment...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

Notice how similar the headstamp is to the Herter's logo... always thought that was satire and directed...

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,517
Posts18,509,595
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.