-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R
I received my 7mm-08 yesterday that has the stainless barrel and green stock. Overall I really like the rifle fit and finish seems very good to me the only slight complaint I would say is that the bolt is not the slickest but is getting better the more I use it.

I picked up a box of partitions and 120 nosler BT and took the rifle to the range today. I was pleased with the little shooting I did as I was somewhat in a rush.

I took six shots to get it dialed in at 100 then fired some groups.
First was the 140 Nosler partitions. [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Then I shot two groups with 120 BTs which it seemed to like! [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

I am pretty Happy with the gun so far as I was expecting much worse from all the reviews I read online and will be very happy if the bolt keeps getting smoother.

Something I thought was also worth mentioning since this is my first 7mm-08 Is that the recoil was noticeable less than my tikka t3 in .308 that I was shooting along side it today.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great to read these reviews, fellas. Some great 120 groups there, rgd...
Tejano, the talleys I received were aluminum, I don't know if they offered a choice in the rings that came without the rail.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I will have to check with Barrett on the options. The Talley/Forbes light weight design in steel is a sort of novelty. But it is cool they sent both the rail and rings. The rail seems out of place but it doe's have it's advantages. Maybe I could sell it. Makes me want to try this one on longer range targets. Rocking 140 gr. Vlds at 2800 fps could be sweet.

Can't wait for the range test.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
happy to see you guys gettin your mitts on some serviceable rifles.

love my NULA in 7mm-08, and if I wasn't so fing old, I'd probably try and snag one of the Forbes rifles.

but I'm at that stage of life time to pare down instead of add.

hope all you guys get serviceable rifles in these deals.

love to see my fellow southpaws make good.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rgd08
I received my 7mm-08 yesterday that has the stainless barrel and green stock. Overall I really like the rifle fit and finish seems very good to me the only slight complaint I would say is that the bolt is not the slickest but is getting better the more I use it.

I picked up a box of partitions and 120 nosler BT and took the rifle to the range today. I was pleased with the little shooting I did as I was somewhat in a rush.

Then I shot two groups with 120 BTs which it seemed to like! [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

I am pretty Happy with the gun so far as I was expecting much worse from all the reviews I read online and will be very happy if the bolt keeps getting smoother.

Something I thought was also worth mentioning since this is my first 7mm-08 Is that the recoil was noticeable less than my tikka t3 in .308 that I was shooting along side it today.

Where's the gun?

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well after many calls they found a LH SS barrel 7-08 and its on its way to AK. The action length is 3.1"? If it is and it shoots good, it would make a great 284 Win. With a rechamber.

Rechambered a 700 LH SA from 7-08 into 284 but did not like it with the 2.8" mag length.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Picked up my LH 24B in .270 yesterday. 5lbs, 11oz bare. (8oz more than Kimber Ascent). 6lbs, 11oz with Talleys and VX3 3.5x10x40 on top.

Initial Likes: The "black" stock is actually dark gray due to the speckles. The stainless barrel has been abrasive blasted to the point it is also a dark gray. Nothing on the rifle would stand out in the oak woods. The stock fore end is narrow and trim. Most of the extra weight (vs Kimber) appears to be in the barrel which makes it a little steadier to hold off-hand. (0.620" at muzzle vs 0.560". Both 24")

Dislikes: As usual, safety cutout looks like it was wallered out with a 9" grinder. Not terrible. But definitely noticeable. The Park finish on the action and bolt make the bolt drag initially. However, smoothing out nicely after about 400 reps with Lucas Oil. The grip is not quite as open as the Kimber. It is thin enough that it is not a show stopper. However, the one thing I would change on the ergos.

Wind today on the ridge is "Kansas calm" at 17mph, gusting to 24mph... Will be next weekend before weather cooperates for load development and accuracy testing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally picked mine up. Looks good. The parkerizing would not be my first choice for the bolt head and raceway. It has already worn off. Bolt lug contact is left 100% and right 1-2%. Maybe I better stick to the Krag loading data at first for one lug rifles.

Will have to see after shooting and with a fired case in the chamber before I decide to lap it in or not. The rings are alloy and the usual Talley perfection. I got the wrong rail for a 20b and will check with Barrett on this.

I like the NULA safety better and mine locks down after firing and can't be put back on safe until cocking. Not sure if this is a break in thing or not. The safety is nosy but this should change with use. If I replace it I will probably go with a Jewell.

Put a Leupold VX-3 6x42 on it and can't wait to break it in.
Overall a great rifle that just needs some range time.

Doe's anyone know if the Nosler brass is the larger .478 diameter or not? If it is Norma it should be good, if Federal then it is the 30-06 size.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Nosler head stamped 6.5x55 brass that I have on hand is 0.478".

R
R
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by rgd08

Where's the gun?

My gun looks identical to broomd's gun posted on the first page. I can post more pictures though if there is anything you specifically want to see.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just a follow up. The unequal bolt contact was mostly cosmetic. It was the way the parkerizing wore on the lugs. Took about 2 minutes with fine valve grinding compound followed by JB bore paste to get 100% contact.

Waiting on components now.

Last edited by Tejano; 04/12/16.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I received my 7mm-08 yesterday.

The fit and finish was better than expected. Bedding job is great and safety cut out actually isn't too sloppy. Feeding and cycling with dummy rounds was initially a little finicky but seems to be getting better. Trigger is crisp but could be a little lighter, will try to lighten it at some point.

Rifle weighed 5lb 3.2 oz without rings.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so can't speak to the accuracy. If it's a shooter I will be very happy with the purchase.

Phoned the leupold custom shop today for a 6x36 LR duplex with MOA CDS dial.

Final weight should be slightly under 6 lbs.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Based on what's been shared here it's probably a safe bet that these rifles are virtually all the same, even the imperfect nuances.

I suspect that overall they are going to shoot well. Fingers crossed.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mine arrived 7-08 LH SS barrel 5# 5.6 ounces with talley lows 5 # 15.4 ounces with Leupold 6 X 36. Nice trigger, bolt cut out is large. Took it apart front action screw around 70 inch # torque. Bedding is great. Talley lows are too high IMHO with the Leupold. Feeds good and ejection is not brisk?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My Ruger LH SS American Rifle 22" in 7-08 weighed right at 7 # with same Leupold 6 X 36

The Forbes balances great does not feel whippy or to light. Have to see how it shoots.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Does anyone know if Talley offers extra low lightweight rings for the NULA/Forbes?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Weight of stock
[Linked Image]
Top Forbes LH 7-08 Bottom RAR LH SS 7 08
[Linked Image]
Weight of rifle and rings
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/12/16.

kk alaska

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by lukebrowning
Does anyone know if Talley offers extra low lightweight rings for the NULA/Forbes?

They do not. Response from Talley earlier this week: "We only have them in low and medium". My two 6x36's are currently mounted on other rifles.. But, even with a VX3 40mm objective in the Lows, I think I could still drop down to the Extra Lows without contact.

"Looks like" the front base for a Rem 700 would work on the front of the Forbes rifle. However, Forbes rear base screw holes appear to be approx 0.100" closer CTC than the Rem 700 rear base.

Perhaps an enterprising 24HCF member with an end mill would like to take on a project to modify a set of Talley Rem 700 Ex-Low bases to fit a Forbes ??? grin grin grin

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I will second the comment about great bedding. Mine looks fine as well. Assuming the fact that the last 3 digits of the serial number are stamped into the bedding indicate that each barreled action was bedded into it's own specific stock.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks, Orion. That's a bummer about the rings. I'm surprised Talley doesn't make them in extra low for the NULA. Smaller objective scopes fit their rifles great, and I would assume that's what most people end up putting atop.

I have a new set of 700 extra lows laying around somewhere but neither the machinery or know-how to alter. Who can take a crack at it??? 🙂

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.