Hop To
#11123845 04/16/16
A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Chased some fallow last week in the hills. They were rutting pretty good, got lucky in the timing with a cooler spell and some rain after all the heat.
Have been trying different bullets through the creedmoore, had good results with 130 sciroccos on paper and in a few deer. Gave 100 grain TTSXs a fly a few weeks back and got inch and a half groups at 200 which is about as far as I might need to shoot around here. So thought I'd give them a go on this hunt. I know, I know, why build a creedmoore and shoot ping pong balls out of it? Just playing and have never used monos before. So a scratch needed itching.
First candidate was a good size buck with split palms that needed culling from the gene pool. I'd looked at three grunting bucks that arvo, first was a black phase with one fairly good antler but the other was busted off. Second was about a four year old menil (spotted coat) that showed a bit of potential. Third guy was the candidate. I spied him near last light on an opposite ridge. He was grunting pretty good with a harem and a couple small bucks floating around the outskirts. I'd have to approach him from below and it was dead still so thought chances were pretty good that I'd be busted and was it better to stay away and chase him up another day. Nah, ground is wet, plenty of cover, air is falling, might as well have a crack.
Ended up 40 metres off the mob, he was asse on and cresting the ridge, (dirt of higher ground behind him though smile ) last light, cross hair on his anoos. Thought we'll see how well these barnes do penetrate and gave him a taste of one. Bullet exited the rib cage just behind the shoulder and was under the skin in two pieces, petalled front section and base had separated but ended up at the same place (muzzle velocity 3200 fps). About 80cm of penetration at a guess. Dead deer.
Hunted hard the next four days and looked at several more bucks but no wall hangers. So the mission changed to meat gathering for a day or two. Second shot was an unlucky doe that was only couple hundred metres from the truck on the way back that morning. Quartering on, busted her on side shoulder. She dropped on the spot but got up and ran twenty metres on three legs before piling up. Bullet was just in front of her ham just under the skin again and in that classic barnes petals folded back shape.
Two more does that arvo, both broadside and shot tight behind the shoulder - old bowhunting habit. Both exited of course and both deer ran about twenty metres.
Last was a button buck that was down hill at about forty metres again. Shot down through top of shoulder. He piled up on the spot but I was a bit surprised at the bullet not making it out of the chest cavity. Dead deer anyhow.
End result, plenty of fun and venison in the freezer. Eating back strap steaks right now ashley. Red in the middle with mushies and bacon, straight off the barby plate. life's good!
Am told fallow meat is a lot like whitetail?
Liking a bullet that will get the job done from any angle - might have plagiarized that from Bob somewhere smile

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/22666stevec/media/IMG_0283_zpssfjjnuko.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Last edited by aus; 04/16/16.
GB1

A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Just went out with a bud to look for a piggy on sun down not far from home here. He'd shot a couple good ones last week and lost his specs somewhere there so had a bit of a look for them.
We didn't have any luck with that so I went for a stroll and ended up finding two boars feeding way out in the open and went back to grab bud but couldn't find him. So looks like the barnses will get a bit more testing out.
Pretty much got to walk up to a fence post 80 metres off them and waited for them to line up side by side in the scope. Kaboom. One falls over and the other takes off. Got one into him somewhere on the run. Had a look at the first guy and the bullet hadn't exited so that blew my greedy plan of two with one shot. The 120 grainers might be the go for that sort of thing smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good work.

If you are not getting penetration, just step up a notch as you've noted!

I can't recall containing a barnes bullet of any kind other than the one that broke the neck and shoulder of my moose. It was barely caught by the skin.

But I tend to not go real light typically even though they are barnes.

Fallow here is comparable to whitetail eating wise. NOthing special, but not bad at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice!

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Cheers guys.
Thanks for putting that pic up Ryan.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice photo. New England?

A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
yes Dan.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Aus-Dumb ass Yank question. I saw some wild ones on Maui (first ones I've ever seen) last month, do they go into rut the same time as yours?. Thanks-Muddy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you just describe a Texas heart shot in Australian?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hi muddy22, can only assume that they rut in the season of fall where ever they are in the world.
Kigston, Hahhaa yep we do describe it as such here too!

IC B3

A
aus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hi muddy22, can only assume that they rut in the season of fall where ever they are in the world.
Kigston, Hahhaa yep we do describe it as such here too!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.