-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guy was a great musician and performer. Also battled some chronic health issues. He had epilepsy, according to one report.

He was married in the 90's, and he & his wife had a boy who died a few days after birth, due to a rare disorder. They lost another kid due to miscarriage.

Also had to be rushed to the hospital last week with a bad bout of the flu, then apparently checked himself out against orders, to keep playing concerts.

I didn't follow his career that closely, but I never heard of him being associated with drug or alcohol abuse. At 57, he may have simply not taken sufficient care of himself, and died of a heat attack, or other complications.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when he was in the hospital the other day he given a drug to counteract the effects of an opiate overdose, and checked out because he couldn't get a private room.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He had a bad hip, so maybe he got himself hooked on oxy and it spiraled out of control. Who knows...

He wouldn't let drugs or alcohol in to Paisley Park as a general rule, not even tobacco.

It's tough to say what killed him at this point.

Edit: I don't believe it was the flu.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 04/21/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recall at one point Boy George called him "a midget dumped in a vat of pubic hair" grin But then Boy George sure lived in a glass house his own self.

Never did care much for his music and IMHO Morris Day and the Time absolutely stole the Purple Rain movie with their on-screen stage perfomances.

I will say that I can measure how fast life passes with his song "1999". That song came out in '82, when I was in Africa and 1999 seemed far in the future.

Sure was a surprise how fast it was 1999 already tho, and now 1999 is growing small in the rear-view mirror.

Also, his half-time show at the Super Bowl was one of the few actually worth seeing.

And geeze, something I weren't aware of until today, his guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" 2006 (skip to 3:25) cool

So, a guy in a position to totally sleaze and decadent his life away becomes a Jehova's Witness instead.

If it were addiction that killed him, I expect better men than me have fallen that way.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by RWE
The Artist formerly known as living?
lmao... never cared for that midgets music.

+1

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To a reasonable extent I can accept the great "performer" comments flowing here (the flash and shock, the moves, the androgynous makeup/clothes/action, etc.)

However, the great "musician" aspect seems way overstated. With the help of others (including his father) he did write a number of the things he performed. and as performed by others. On some takes he did play more than one of the instruments in the recordings (I think primarily guitar, percussion and keyboard) but a good bit of that was rather elemental. Certainly not top-drawer stuff. Some say that "he played any instrument" - but that is a falsehood.

Actually, the most accurate claim might be that, given those captivated by his props and actions, he well-represented the changing artistic tastes (diminishing), the acceptance and even acclaim of musical mediocrity, and the increasing acceptance of vulgarity and crassness in our culture.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

You'd think that these musicians/actors would learn from the deaths of others (John Belushi/Jerry Garcia/et al) that the opiate wins in the end. Somebody tell me of a lifelong user pushing 70+?????

Keith Richards. Nothing can kill Keith Richards, I'm not even sure he's really alive.

His body's going to make one heck of a science project when he finally goes.

Hmmm....you have a point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
To a reasonable extent I can accept the great "performer" comments flowing here (the flash and shock, the moves, the androgynous makeup/clotes/action, etc.)

However, the great "musician" aspect seems way overstated. With the help of others (including his father) he did write a number of the things he performed. and as performed by others. On some takes he did play more than one of the instruments in the recordings (I think primarily guitar, percussion and keyboard) but a good bit of that was rather elemental. Certainly not top-drawer stuff. Some say that "he played any instrument" - but that is a falsehood.

Actually, the most accurate claim might be that, given those captivated by his props and actions, he well-respresented the changing artistic tastes (diminishing), the acceptance and even acclaim of musical mediocrity, and the increasing acceptance of vulgarity and crassness in out culture.

nah

he was a helluva musician. There is no shortage of well respected people in the music industry who put this man on ah pedestal for both his showmanship and his passion to make music.

I read a Billy Gibbons interview saying he couldn't touch what Prince did in the opening of When Doves Cry.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I like how Cobain handled it.

Record your best works, then blow your head off.

Fin.

Dave

Most don't understand depression.
I've been there...often.

It's not a good place.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's an unplugged session, I find it preferable to all that shredding...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Was it creative writing you taught?

To a reasonable extent I can accept the great "performer" comments flowing here (the flash and shock, the moves, the androgynous makeup/clotes/action, etc.)

Actually, the most accurate claim might be that, given those captivated by his props and actions, he well-respresented the changing artistic tastes (diminishing), the acceptance and even acclaim of musical mediocrity, and the increasing acceptance of vulgarity and crassness in out culture.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't care for his music. But I will admit I've been surprised at his claimed guitar talent. I personally think Glenn Fry was much more talented. But hey, I'm just a southern redneck so what do I know.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA

nah

he was a helluva musician. There is no shortage of well respected people in the music industry who put this man on ah pedestal for both his showmanship and his passion to make music.

I read a Billy Gibbons interview saying he couldn't touch what Prince did in the opening of When Doves Cry.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by KFWA

nah he was a helluva musician. There is no shortage of well respected people in the music industry who put this man on ah pedestal for both his showmanship and his passion to make music. I read a Billy Gibbons interview saying he couldn't touch what Prince did in the opening of When Doves Cry.
+1

You are getting nowhere quoting others of that stripe - people in the "music industry" primarily are interested in the $$ value (there, "taste" again) and if they praise his "showmanship and passion" they are merely reinforcing what I said. Tons of folks do not understand the difference between "showmanship" and "musicianship"

Thanks, Birdwatcher, for that sample. It's right there. He starts by repeating the same memorized 16 bar segment and breaks to charm the audience - then moves on to other memorized stuff from his own repertoire.

He plays just fine, but I can hear the same things played just as well by buskers on streetcorners in SF or in storefronts in Boston or in the underground in Montreal - or even out here in the mountains once in a while. Great musicians read/hear/think/interact instantaneously and create simultaneously with other musicians, etc., etc. He was a very successful performer. May he RIP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Was it creative writing you taught?

However, the great "musician" aspect seems way overstated - - -

No. Taught music writing and music in general - starting in 1962 and still going. What was your teaching field?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The amount of people on this website trying to be funny for attention is pathetic .
I'm no huge Prince fan -but reading the majority of the comments which are typical of threads like this -it's no wonder so many good people leave this website .

Someone has passed away and MANY think it's a time to try and be funny ? A bunch of you old grey haired guys should try to grow up before you die of old age .

Agree, it's not all but the forum has it's fair share of the clueless. The Campfire forum is like a dirty toilet. Gross at times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He was really something else.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Prince seemed to have some talent, with which he made a living. People liked what he did enough to pay him. He made money as a musician and lived a duplicitous life. If Minnesota legislators want to honor his memory by making the state flag purple, well, that's Minnesota. And that's the influence of media on our world. There's several other truly great music composers and musicians who deserved much better than a purple flag. But that's America in these days.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/23/16.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,090 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.