-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally I didn't care for him or his music and for sure won't miss him, just another over paid idiot who let drugs dictate his life and do him in.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by add
Was it creative writing you taught?
To a reasonable extent I can accept the great "performer" comments flowing here (the flash and shock, the moves, the androgynous makeup/clotes/action, etc.)

However, the great "musician" aspect seems way overstated - - -

No. Taught music writing and music in general - starting in 1962 and still going. What was your teaching field?

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches." George Bernard Shaw

In other words, how many SB half-time shows have you done?

Your utterances make you seem like an ignorant idiot - although you may not be such. GBS was simply a wiseguy at times. Do you not realize that many excellent musicians also are excellent teachers - always has been the case. If you beleive otherwise, try to grow up and get some knowledge.

And, your trying to rate a "musician" by how many Super Bowl performances he does comes across as ignorant too. How many SB shows have been done by Itzhak Perleman, or Stan Getz, or Nelson Riddle, or Georg Szell or (on and on and on). Successful appeal to lower-taste masses does not make one a musician. And, could Prince teach well??

I've played many jobs with high level musicians (show, jazz, rock, symphonic) where the on-the-spot demands were such that a fad "performer" like Prince could not cut the work, and have played and conducted performances where he would have been lost in the genre. And, believe it or not, some of these shows have been in packed stadiums at NFL games. But, that proved nothing about the musicianship of those of us performing.

He deserves his due as a very successful performer in a certain niche. If the current fuss about Prince (may he RIP) doesn't sum to anything else, it provides a grim picture of the degree to which discernment and taste have sunk in this culture during the past 25 years or so. His writings and performances were designed to appeal to the base aspects - and he was very successful.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I never thought much of the man or his music, but how many of you will be leaving behind an estate worth over 300 million?

He did something very right.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't know a whole lot about music or musicians but I'd say this young teenage girl could probably hang with the best, Prince included.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
..."He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches." George Bernard Shaw

You, obviously, have never had the privilege and honor of hearing CCCC play.

He not only can teach, the man can PLAY!

Being selected out of Pop culture music to play at a football game doesn't make one a great musician, it just means you have connections and a modicum of talent/skills.

Prince was a great writer and good musician.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
add: Many folks see it as "inconvenient" when someone disagrees with their personal opinion (no matter how inexpert that opinion might be), and they often feel very inconvenienced when they are given evidence that they don't wish to accept. If one has not had the opportunity to learn and know "great", one simply is ignorant of the fact - it's not a sin.

Dutch: More than once I have said that he was great as a performer - which is what you have described - the connection with the "audience", etc. - and people wanted to hear him perform.

What don't you get about the difference?? Some people "love to hear" these no-talent rap artists too and they do "connect" with their audiences. Does that make them "musicians" and their useless sounds "great music"? I think not.

I didn't miss any point at all - some folks say he was a great musician. My purpose is not to burst any bubbles, but I was not talking about performers playing to the varied tastes of audiences. I was talking about learned, versatile, well-schooled musicianship.

And, you might be surprised to realize that a musician does not need an audience in order to create music - great music - so connecting to some particular loving audience is not an important factor in the creation. Also, by the way, music does involve math - and science as well at times - and combined with those and many other aspects (sum of the parts) it can be a supreme art. Everything people think is "music" is not artistic, and all beloved music performers are not great musicians.

^^^^^^^

I agree, creation and presentation are two totally separate parts of musical expression. And all rhythmic tempos and musical timings are based in mathematics. as well as the notes of any scale are represented in science based on reoccurring audible wave lengths in varying octave's.

But the beauty of music is that none of that hast be taken into account to simply listen to and enjoy what appeals to you.

But in the end, the study of music is still called Musical "Theory" for a reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
On those accomplishments, his record stands above reproach. As for his personal trial, tribulations, and accomplishments, that is between him and his maker.

Flat amazing the range of different folks here speaking well of the guy (yerself, for example grin). I gotta say it restores my faith in the 'Fire somewhat: People giving credit where credit is due, even to a skinny little dude jumping around in sequinned outfits playing hit songs most of us don't care for.

I've learned more about him in the past few days than I ever thought about before, most of it surprisingly good.

The gist seems to be he was a decent guy who treated others better'n he had to.

We should all do so well.

Birdwatcher

Prince was so majorly shy and insecure that he invented a persona of mystery that made him appear weird. The dude had loads of talent, he found faith, was a showman extraordinaire, and was vulnerable to addiction. I think we will find in the end, the addiction did him in. Not the first in the music business. Hank Williams, Billy Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Brian Jone, John Entwistle etc, etc.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by joken2
I don't know a whole lot about music or musicians but I'd say this young teenage girl could probably hang with the best, Prince included.

She is an unbelievable talented 16 year old! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Doesn't mean jack shít.

There's LOTSA guitar players out there than can perfectly play a Hendrix or Page or whatever guitar part. However, there is only one and will only ever be one Hendrix.

There is much more to being a musician than being able to copy someone else's work.

Props to Prince.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

He deserves his due as a very successful performer in a certain niche. If the current fuss about Prince (may he RIP) doesn't sum to anything else, it provides a grim picture of the degree to which discernment and taste have sunk in this culture during the past 25 years or so. His writings and performances were designed to appeal to the base aspects - and he was very successful.

If nothing else, you are a master of 'damning with faint praise'.

Your students must adore you.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
..."He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches." George Bernard Shaw

You, obviously, have never had the privilege and honor of hearing CCCC play.

He not only can teach, the man can PLAY!

Being selected out of Pop culture music to play at a football game doesn't make one a great musician, it just means you have connections and a modicum of talent/skills.

Prince was a great writer and good musician.

Ed

Can CCCC be found on Youtube?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Doesn't mean jack shít.

There's LOTSA guitar players out there than can perfectly play a Hendrix or Page or whatever guitar part. However, there is only one and will only ever be one Hendrix.

There is much more to being a musician than being able to copy someone else's work.

Props to Prince.
have to agree, when they can compose their own , it takes it to a different level.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the most telling tribute is, some very accomplished guitarists, like Eric Clapton and Billy Gibbons, had great respect for Prince.

A few years ago Gibbons was out late at night for a meal, and bumped into Prince, who already had a table at the restaurant. They talked guitar for a couple of hours:

Billy Gibbons' chance meeting with Prince

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm no musician or guitar player but this is pretty impressive to me. Prince starts about the 3:20 mark.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Men, guitar legends across the industry, across genres, are expressing their respect, if not admiration for Prince's musicality as well as skill.

On the other hand, an Ivory Tower professor tut-tuts his ability dismissively.

Girls are weeping, and Prince left a 300 million estate.

I think the tut-tut from academia can safely be discounted as random noise.... and that's as charitable as I'm going to get today.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have to agree, when they can compose their own , it takes it to a different level.

Once Prince composition I've always liked, sung by a shave-headed Irish chick...

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
" Chris Stapleton Nothing Compares 2U live at Berkeley April 23, 2016"

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Perv alert

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good add - it's sometimes enjoyable to exercise the "creative writing" component. I've been through this xty x times with students.

And I suspect the knowledgeable "students" enjoyed correcting you (sensei) easily enough on the "exercise" from the start and found it most satisfactory.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dutch, seems that you don't know a tut tut from a toot toot - but do know how to twist another's words in your tower of babble. Is that charitable enough? grin

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.