-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was reading another thread here and see that someone is doing basically what I've done to feed the 75 gr. amaxes in the Ruger Predator .223's. I have a guy that milled mine out on a CNC. The first one would not feed the final cartridge in the mag. What happens is that the rear of the cartridge drops down just enough that the bolt won't pick it up. I don't find that an issue for me. Basically with 5 rounds in the mag, you can use the first 4. In a bolt action hunting rifle that isn't much of a handicap. I altered the follower on my second one and and now the rear of the cartridge stays up so as for the bolt to grab hold but it doesn't always make it into the chamber. I may or may not be able to solve that without a redesigned follower. if enough guys are interested I think the guy would set up and make these, just know that I don't totally have the bugs worked out of the final round in the chamber. If there is interest for 25 or more, I'll contact him to see how many $$. Like many have previously stated, it makes no sense for Ruger to sell the 1 in 8 twist rifle and then offer a mag that will not accommodate the heavy bullets. They even got the freebore correct in the chamber for heavies.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am interested in the mod.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Don't think you need to ask...if you do it you will need more than 25 to satisfy the demand here on the fire! In line...

Honorary Gouger per Travis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's easy to do, if you have the time and patience. Link below.

RAR 223 Mag Modification

A few others have done it as well. No problems with feeding that I know of.

Jason

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, it can be done by hand. The tabs securing the mag halves are a bit fragile. Without doing some work to the follower, I have not had any success getting the last bullet in the mag picked up by the bolt. Mine may be an anomaly, but don't think so. There just is no support at the rear of the cartridge once you remove .250" from the mag and move the cartridge rearward. I just want to be upfront about this before checking to see if the guy wants to make some.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Topstock
Without doing some work to the follower, I have not had any success getting the last bullet in the mag picked up by the bolt. Mine may be an anomaly, but don't think so. There just is no support at the rear of the cartridge once you remove .250" from the mag and move the cartridge rearward.

I've not had this issue, nor has anyone else that I know of.

What lack of support are you talking about? From the feed lips or the follower?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about some pics of the support problem?

I think you'd get more interest if you can figure out what the problem is. Otherwise, anyone with a Dremel can whip this out free-hand.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/25/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And extra pre-load doesn't hurt either.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Without doing some work to the follower, I have not had any success getting the last bullet in the mag picked up by the bolt. Mine may be an anomaly, but don't think so. There just is no support at the rear of the cartridge once you remove .250" from the mag and move the cartridge rearward.

I've not had this issue, nor has anyone else that I know of.

What lack of support are you talking about? From the feed lips or the follower?

From the follower. When the rear of the mag is bored out .250" the rear of the follower does not reach back there to support the cartridge. This is what allows the cartridge to tip down in the rear. Guess I'm just unlucky.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How about some pics of the support problem?

I think you'd get more interest if you can figure out what the problem is. Otherwise, anyone with a Dremel can whip this out free-hand.

I know what the problem is and have solved the tipping problem. The bolt grabs the final cartridge after a follower modification, but does not always make it fully forward into the chamber. A little feed lip modification may solve that. I guess anyone with a Dremel can whip them out. Have at it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

You may be correct. I haven't tried two wraps of preload. The spring looks pretty tight for two complete rounds. Have you wound one twice around?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess anyone with a Dremel can whip them out. Have at it.

I already did, and it works. And posted the instructions here for others who couldn't get a plug-n-play from Cotis or SAS.

And it doesn't require a CNC, or modification of the follower grin

And, I'm not asking anyone to pay me or someone else to do what can be easily done at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You may be correct. I haven't tried two wraps of preload. The spring looks pretty tight for two complete rounds. Have you wound one twice around?

I used a bunch of preload.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,359
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.