Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the winter it would be my S&W M629 4"

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RWE
I carry two.

A mouse gun, and something bigger.

You may think you're a minimalist; but you may be one event away from changing either your opinion or your respiratory status.

Exactly.

Get into just one deadly encounter, survive, and I bet your perspective will change.

Look at it this way:

What is the minimum you would be willing to get into a shooting against one or two armed men, who are more likely than not:

Under the influence of narcotics and/or alcohol

Not reacting to normal pain stimuli

Not thinking rationally

Neither people shooting at you or your loved ones have any moral or ethical dilemmas about killing you/your loved ones, or any bystanders to achieve their goals.

The reality of the society that we live in today is that there are some very dedicated, well armed people in this world, who will not hesitate to slaughter the innocent, or what they perceive as easy prey.

A Mouse gun may work, but personally I do not consider hope a very good strategy.

BTW,

Today I have been assigned daddy day care duty,and one has a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours, so both have to go.

I am wearing a Gen 2 G17, with standard cap magazine, and a 22 round Glock ETS magazine for a reload. That is 17+1 in the gun, and 22 rds for a reload, for 40 rounds of 124 grain Gold Dots.

A G19 w/o reload is really what I consider a minimum these days.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for clarification, if I carry a backup 2nd gun, then it's a J-framed 38........it's the smallest gun I have & I don't really put it into the "mousegun" category of 380's or 32's.

JMHO

MM

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry the mouse because its the only gun I have that can fit into every front pants pocket I own, no matter how tight, loose, for fitting, etc and I can shoot accurately.

It, a pocket knife, and a spacepen, every day.

Then, depending on the shirt, is whether or not the 9c gets the 12 round, or the 17 extended - with the other mag on board somewhere.

The mouse gun isn't a hope gun. It's there for spite. I wish it had exploding bullets. With mercury.

My hope strategy is to avoid confrontation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

The reality of the society that we live in today is that there are some very dedicated, well armed people in this world, who will not hesitate to slaughter the innocent, or what they perceive as easy prey.

To Mackay's comment above, I think that many, many & most people just do not realize or appreciate how totally brutal at beyond an animal level, many of the psychopaths, sociopaths, thugs & just cruel & violent people are in the world today.

We may not see it much in the smaller locales that most of us live in but it's more prevalent than most think around the bigger metro areas.

The incident in the link below happened a few years ago but I've kept it around just as a reminder as to what really bad people do w/o hesitation to good, kind & unprotected people.

I've used it as a reminder & object lesson to my own 2 boys, especially when they are traveling, to be extremely vigilant & alert & to be armed at all times.

The Gruesome Story of a Tennessee Couple Murdered

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I don't carry based on what I'm wearing, I carry based on what I'm preparing for.

If you're carrying a gun, you're preparing for the worst case possible scenario. If you're carrying a tiny gun with no reload you're assuming that in the worst case scenario everything will go as well as possible.

Or simply playing the odds.

Neither my previous post nor this one are meant to imply that I have or would never go there. I know there are situations that may require a person to go with a smaller gun than they'd like or they should. But it should follow some realistic thought. There is a world of room to work with between a t-shirt and a winter jacket. And shorts aren't even an issue.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent the first 2/3 of my life in New Orleans, and anybody who thinks they can’t get mixed up in some life threatening stuff while minding their own business in an allegedly decent neighborhood (the locals have weird definitions) is not paying attention. I’m sure Jerry Miculek could do fine armed with only a Kel Tec P3AT against a pair of determined thugs, but there is no way in heck that a lot of my family or friends would fare as well if similarly armed.

A lot of people conflate the odds of needing a gun in the first place with the odds that a particular gun will win the encounter. I guess it is easier to avoid doing that if you hang out in places where the odds of needing a gun in the first place are higher.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am constantly in and out of non-permissive areas. I carry a 2 inch J frame in appendix carry tuck holster most of the time. However, I do carry my Colt Commander a good portion of the fall and winter in a custom OWB holster under a hooded sweatshirt or un-tucked shirt. I tote my Glock 35 or S&W 329 when woods walking or training my pointer.

Perry

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just heard that a young man was shot and killed in a small town in Northern Wisconsin near where I live. I knew his girlfriend.
I guess if it could happen to him it could happen to anyone. I didn't know him personally but he didn't look any different than anyone else around here.

I just read on Facebook that an 80 year old man defended himself against four punks who tried to rob him with no success. One was shot in the head and one was wounded. Two were arrested.
He did good for an old man.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless .45, in a N8 2 Pro IWB holster. It is very comfortable to carry and conceal.

Lots of times in the summer, however, I carry a S & W Mod. 63 Kit Gun in .22 cal., with a couple of CCI snake loads in the first two cylinders. I live in rattlesnake country, and a .22 fired at a buzzworm attracts little attention from neighbors, etc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What if you had a doctors appointment at a VA Hospital where there was a sign that said no weapons allowed any where on the property?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

To Mackay's comment above, I think that many, many & most people just do not realize or appreciate how totally brutal at beyond an animal level, many of the psychopaths, sociopaths, thugs & just cruel & violent people are in the world today.

We may not see it much in the smaller locales that most of us live in but it's more prevalent than most think around the bigger metro areas.

The incident in the link below happened a few years ago but I've kept it around just as a reminder as to what really bad people do w/o hesitation to good, kind & unprotected people.

I've used it as a reminder & object lesson to my own 2 boys, especially when they are traveling, to be extremely vigilant & alert & to be armed at all times.

The Gruesome Story of a Tennessee Couple Murdered

MM
Perfect reminder, MM.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've carried 1911's, Glock 21, Glock 17, Barretta 21a. Probably too many to list. As most have stated, try to carry the most you can for the time that Sh*t hits the fan.

With that being said, If you can't carry a 45acp, then carry a 9mm, and if a 9mm is too big, then carry 22.

Years ago, my wife and I were going to someplace formal with another couple. We encountered a few late teen, early 20's thugs.

I readied my self. The male from the other couple asked what I was carrying. I responded a Barretta 22. He said "Is that ll you brought"? My (knowing he was unarmed) was: "And what are you carrying?" He got this sheepish look on his face and never questioned me again. BUT, from that time forward, he always came prepared. Luckily, when the thugs approached, I identified myself as LE, and they left in a New York minute.

These days, for the most part, my go to firearm for CCW is a Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium 9mm. Mag holds 12, plus 1 in the chamber.

I use QUALITY +P ammo, and I practice enough to make sure that I'm proficient in my drawing skills as well as being able to hit the target.

The real key here is knowing when to take evasive asking and get out of dodge. Or when to take cover and concealment and prepare to do what must be done to protect life and limb.

In my humble opinion, drawing a firearm is the very last choice or option. But given the situation that you're in, it might be then first and only option.

Bottom line, prepare for the worst, pray for the best and hope that you're never in a situation that places you in harms way.

As the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
What if you had a doctors appointment at a VA Hospital where there was a sign that said no weapons allowed any where on the property?
That's when you carry the gun that you carry when you're "not carrying a gun."

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by whelennut
That's when you carry the gun that you carry when you're "not carrying a gun."

And for those responding to my previous post... Hence, the little Model 21a in .22 long rifle

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Owl
I've carried 1911's, Glock 21, Glock 17, Barretta 21a. Probably too many to list. As most have stated, try to carry the most you can for the time that Sh*t hits the fan.

With that being said, If you can't carry a 45acp, then carry a 9mm, and if a 9mm is too big, then carry 22.

Years ago, my wife and I were going to someplace formal with another couple. We encountered a few late teen, early 20's thugs.

I readied my self. The male from the other couple asked what I was carrying. I responded a Barretta 22. He said "Is that ll you brought"? My (knowing he was unarmed) was: "And what are you carrying?" He got this sheepish look on his face and never questioned me again. BUT, from that time forward, he always came prepared. Luckily, when the thugs approached, I identified myself as LE, and they left in a New York minute.

These days, for the most part, my go to firearm for CCW is a Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium 9mm. Mag holds 12, plus 1 in the chamber.

I use QUALITY +P ammo, and I practice enough to make sure that I'm proficient in my drawing skills as well as being able to hit the target.

The real key here is knowing when to take evasive asking and get out of dodge. Or when to take cover and concealment and prepare to do what must be done to protect life and limb.

In my humble opinion, drawing a firearm is the very last choice or option. But given the situation that you're in, it might be then first and only option.

Bottom line, prepare for the worst, pray for the best and hope that you're never in a situation that places you in harms way.

As the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared.

Jeff

Good post.

To me there is a difference in carrying what feels big and what is physically big. In my experience, trying to stuff a Sig P226 or XD45c IWB is just tough to do comfortably, where as a slimmer 1911 works fine for me.

With that said, I've been known to carry as many as three handguns at a time regularly, depending on where and what. It's pretty easy to have an LC9 in an ankle holster, a S&W Airweight/Desantis in a front pocket, a 1911 strong side. And all while wearing a shirt and jeans.

Regularly, my rotation for 'full-size' carry guns are a Colt Commander, Sig P229, and an M&P9.

Last edited by 1Nut; 04/27/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to carry a colt 1991 a-1 officers model. Now a glock g36.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A Beretta Nano and a 92F.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I get a bad feeling because of something I see on the news that makes me want a 12 gauge pump or AK 47 semi auto.
If it is just another day N frame in cold weather,
I don't own any shorts or Hawaiian shirts.
If I was at the beach maybe a Freedom Arms mini-gun.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.