Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hard to believe that they'd destroy it rather than auction it off, but I guess that this makes the 4th time they've done so.

Kenya Ivory Burn

airobi National Park, Kenya (CNN)It's an overpowering display of the sheer size of Africa's poaching crisis.
For the past week, several dozen men have circled a site in Nairobi National Park, unloading elephant tusks from shipping containers -- many of them so big it takes two men to carry one tusk -- and building them into towers of ivory up to 10 feet tall and 20 feet across.
It forms something like a graveyard for some of the world's iconic endangered species.
Confiscated colobus monkey Skins are added to the pyres.
Confiscated colobus monkey Skins are added to the pyres.
On Saturday, the graveyard will turn into a crematorium.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta will light a match to 105 tons of elephant ivory, 1.35 tons of rhino horn, exotic animal skins and other products such as sandalwood and medicinal bark.

This destruction of illicit wildlife goods dwarfs anything similar that has been done before.
A KWS ranger stacks one of the ivory pyres.
A KWS ranger stacks one of the ivory pyres.
The tusks alone -- from about 8,000 elephants -- would be worth more than $105 million on the black market, according to wildlife trade expert Esmond Bradley Martin.
The rhino horn, from 343 animals, would be worth more than $67 million. Together, it's more than $172 million worth of illicit wildlife goods going up in smoke.
That's one and a half times more than Kenya spends on its environmental and natural resources agency every year.
But the Kenyans say that the stockpile is not valuable -- it's worthless.
"From a Kenyan perspective, we're not watching any money go up in smoke," Kenya Wildlife Service Director General Kitili Mbathi said. "The only value of the ivory is tusks on a live elephant."
Record level of poaching
That's not just conservationist rhetoric.
Tourism, mostly from wildlife, makes up about 12% of Kenya's GDP. Over its life, a live elephant generates 76 times more in tourism revenue than it does for its ivory, according to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, an elephant rescue and rehabilitation group.
Unloaded from the back of a pick up, the ivory is catalogued and put into containers.
Unloaded from the back of a pick up, the ivory is catalogued and put into containers.
But the group's founder worries about the future.
"I doubt whether my great-grandchildren will actually be able to see wild elephants living a normal life," said Daphne Sheldrick, the world-renowned Kenyan conservationist who named the charity after her late husband.
Some 1,338 rhinos were poached in Africa last year, a record number and the sixth year in a row that the number of poaching incidents has increased.
Elephants are in serious threat. Every 15 minutes, an elephant is killed for its tusks.
African governments are fighting the illegal trade in wildlife goods, but they have long puzzled over what to do with confiscated ivory and horn.
The potential income that could be generated from the sale has been difficult for many cash-strapped governments to deny.
The Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) allows for the trade of ivory under certain circumstances.
In 2008, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana auctioned 102 tons of stockpiled ivory, raising $15 million which was put toward elephant conservation initiatives.
Killing the market
But Kenya does things differently.
Under the leadership of renowned conservationist Richard Leakey, the Kenya Wildlife Service developed the idea of burning illegal ivory in 1989.
At the time, Kenya was facing a serious crisis, losing about 4,000 elephants to poaching a year.
Then-President Daniel arap Moi torched 12 tons of ivory in the first burn.
"Within six months of the burn, in 1990, the elephant poaching virtually stopped in Kenya and in most African countries because there was no market," said Leakey.
"The only solution was to kill market and we did. It was dead for close to 10 years, maybe longer."
Saturday's ivory burn is Kenya's fourth, and the largest one in history by a large margin.
Leakey attributes the current rise in the demand for ivory to one-off permitted sales of tusks.
"There is so much corruption in Africa, so much corruption in other places, that illegal ivory started to enter the trade and the market value for ivory today is higher than it's ever been," he explained.
The ultimate goal of the burn, the Kenya Wildlife Service says, is to encourage a total and permanent ban on the trade of elephant ivory, and never allow for its sale, even domestically.
READ: How do you save a dying species?
Wrong message?
Heads of state from some countries with the largest elephant populations in Africa will be on site for the burn.
But a delegation from Botswana -- one of Africa's conservation success stories -- is refusing to attend.
The delegation is in Kenya for a summit on steps to protect Africa's endangered wildlife species.
Botswana says the burn sends the wrong message.
"We have told communities living with elephants that there is value in conserving elephants for ecotourism and emphasizing that the value of a live elephant should be upheld at all costs," the government of Botswana said in a statement. "Burning ivory would demonstrate to the communities that the animal has no value."
Others argue that the burn is a PR stunt that has been done before, but Leakey insists that rather than a stunt, the ivory burn is a statement "that elephants are in deep trouble."
"When we burn this ivory, we are doing it for a specific reason," he said.
An Ivory statue seized in transit will also be added to the pyre.
An Ivory statue seized in transit will also be added to the pyre.
And today there is a new crisis, and new people to reach with this message, Leakey said. China's rapidly growing economy and expanding upper class have created a strong market for ivory and rhino horn, he says.
"They (China) never saw the 1989-1990 (elephant) crisis. They were not subjected to the pressure that we brought on the world markets in those days. So we have to do it again -- and that's what we're doing," said Leakey.
He says the aim should be to change the attitudes of the people of China and other nations who trade in illicit wildlife products.
He hopes that elephant ivory and rhino horn will lose their luster.
"We want to introduce a sense of embarrassment and shame to the use of products for ornaments, for statues or for eating implements," Leakey said. "Nobody should be using someone else's teeth to enrich themselves."

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Africa has to be the most retarded place on earth.

It's like Disney Land for stupid people.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
meanwhile, the stockpile that the gov't officials have secreted away, only grows more valuable. smirk

If they were serious about stopping poaching, they should dump all the ivory & rhino horn on the market at 10% of market value. The market price will plummet, and the people who paid big bucks for poached ivory will lose huge fortunes. They won't buy it again.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No one pays to hunt elephant because they can't bring their ivory back. No money to stop poaching. Poaching flourishes and ivory prices go higher.

Anti-hunters causing poaching, go figure.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As corrupt as Africa is I can't imagine how that ivory did not end up on the black market again to further line some low life dictator's pocket.

if auctioned off, that 172 million would have restored a great deal of habitat.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to believe that was a fraction of what was actually confiscated.

Some fella that speaks in clicks and whistles just got new 22" rims for his Caprice.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
As corrupt as Africa is I can't imagine how that ivory did not end up on the black market again to further line some low life dictator's pocket.

This is correct. The ignorance there never ceases to amaze. And you would think that them coming over here and given every chance would have changed those folks... but for a large part it has done nothing at all. They are still all the same.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Africa seems to be like an endless Monte Python movie.

Guess they must be getting an awful lot of free white-fella money if they can afford to burn that much in a pointless show.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with Africa is it's full of Africans.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Africa has to be the most retarded place on earth.

It's like Disney Land for stupid people.

There should be a mile high fence built around Africa

to keep everyone there inside..................

MM

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
According to Wilbur Smith the problem lies in places like the US who refuse to allow ivory to be bought. Money from confiscated and culled animals would pay for more land set aside for elephants and the rangers to stop poaching.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ain't the US's fault. China would have bought the entire lot if the international market would have allowed it. He is just another dick with ears trying to dump on the US.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Pretty sure that the stuff going to be burned is the tip of the iceberg.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You can bet the anti hunters are there guiding them every step of the way. I am suprised China did not buy off enough officials to get the Ivory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The irony is this is being done in the name of "conservation."
You know, "conservation?" As in waste not, want not?

God, what a waste. I mean, the animals are lost, dead. Nothing will bring them back, except maybe wildlife management money, which COULD be raised by, um, selling confiscated ivory at a favorable price to honest brokers to customers on board with a conservation program?

Oh, he11 no that will never work.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
No one pays to hunt elephant because they can't bring their ivory back. No money to stop poaching. Poaching flourishes and ivory prices go higher.

Anti-hunters causing poaching, go figure.

You can bring back sport hunted ivory from most African counties that are part of CITES. Zim and Tanzania are temporarily suspended.

http://www.fws.gov/international/permits/by-activity/sport-hunted-trophies.html

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What else can you expect from Wogs? Kenya banned hunting over thirty years ago, and since then the only animals that exist are in the ever shrinking national parks.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Hard to believe that they'd destroy it rather than auction it off, but I guess that this makes the 4th time they've done so.

If they auctioned it off they'd have money for anti-poaching efforts. But since the Kenyattas in the Govt. have sanctioned poaching since the day they took over, they don't want that to happen.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I expect the lunatics in the western cities to think this is a good idea...but the only way the black fellas in Africa would go for this is if they are getting more funding from another source to more than make up for the loss.

And since the most prolific throw-other-peoples-money-away halfwits out there are in America...I can only wonder just how much of your money Obama and his mates are giving away.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
The irony is this is being done in the name of "conservation."
You know, "conservation?" As in waste not, want not?

God, what a waste. I mean, the animals are lost, dead. Nothing will bring them back, except maybe wildlife management money, which COULD be raised by, um, selling confiscated ivory at a favorable price to honest brokers to customers on board with a conservation program?

Oh, he11 no that will never work.

kenyans ain't known for being the sharpest knives in the drawer. besides, the govt is probably sponsoring this charade and has 10x this amount already on the ship.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (345dl, 44mc, 300Sav, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,557
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.