Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm considering loading 50 gr tipped Varmageddon's for my 223's.
How will they perform on larger targets (coyote - sized)?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is they will die just fine. Coyotes are thin skinned.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, they are not armor plated. I saw a guy kill one at 125 yards with a 22mag through the chest. It didn't bang flop but it didn't go far.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mark shubert,

Would a 50 gr tipped Varmageddon from a .223 act like an 55 grain a-max at 4,000 feet per second from a wildcat? It was very destructive to the coyote.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It you want to paint the prairie with them, they would work great.

If you are hunting for hides, go heavier and slower.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This about sums it up as well as it could be said.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
B

I'm new to all of this. Can you explain why. Thanks in advance. I do appreciate it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bakerloo

I'm new to all of this. Can you explain why. Thanks in advance. I do appreciate it.

Thing about it. These bullets were made to turn prairie dogs inside out, and flip them 3 feet into the air.....which they do very nicely. Hit a Coyote with one of these at full speed and you will get a .224 hole going in, and the back side will completely disappear.

Last Coyote I killed was while P-dog hunting with a 52gr Sierra Match King. He came in to grab one of the dead p-dogs about 50 yards in front of me. It was a quartering shot to the shoulder. He dropped to the shot, spilling guts, blood, intestines, and fur all over the prairie.

Now magnify that for the even thinner skinned V-geddon. All that would be left is the head, feet, a mist of blood and a cloud of fur.

If you want the hides, you should try the "Ingwe Load":

60gr NBT, slowed down to about 2700, powered with IMR 4895. Less stress on the bullet equals less stress on the hide.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/30/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thing about it. These bullets were made to turn prairie dogs inside out, and flip them 3 feet into the air.....which they do very nicely. Hit a Coyote with one of these at full speed and you will get a .224 hole going in, and the back side will completely disappear.

Last Coyote I killed was while P-dog hunting with a 52gr Sierra Match King. He came in to grab one of the dead p-dogs about 50 yards in front of me. It was a quartering shot to the shoulder. He dropped to the shot, spilling guts, blood, intestines, and fur all over the prairie.

Now magnify that for the even thinner skinned V-geddon. All that would be left is the head, feet, a mist of blood and a cloud of fur.

If you want the hides, you the "Ingwe Load":

60gr NBT, slowed down to about 2700, powered with IMR 4895. Less stress on the bullet equals less stress on the hide.

Is it called the Ingwe load because it is so slow?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
s it called the Ingwe load because it is so old?

That would be correct!....... grin

Lemme see, I have a lighter here somewhere....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

The one I killed had guts coming out both sides. I was jack rabbit hunting to practice running shots. If you found a foot from a jack rabbit you were lucky.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark,

I think you'd be disappointed in the long run.

I tested some ammo with bullets like those for a major ammo company I have been involved with for several years.

It'll kill coyotes, and there will be bullet splashes. Slowing down the bullet helps somewhat, but in the end, you'll have coyotes run off with a chunk blown out of them, that would be DRT with something like a 55 or 60gr V-Max.

Shoulder shots with frangible bullets like Varmageddon are not optimal.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rockinbbar,

Think they'd be okay for Fox and Bobcat out of the Hornet or still too destructive?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bellydeep

If you want the hides, you the "Ingwe Load":

Is it called the Ingwe load because it is so slow?

Naa,

That's because it's low stress.........and his idea.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
rockinbbar,

Think they'd be okay for Fox and Bobcat out of the Hornet or still too destructive?

40 gr V-Max for the hornet will do the job.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

The one I killed had guts coming out both sides. I was jack rabbit hunting to practice running shots. If you found a foot from a jack rabbit you were lucky.

They make a WHOLE jackrabbit disappear? I've never seen destruction like that.

We even found more left from squirrels Carolyn shot with a 378 wtby that time, not a lot more but more.

I may have to load some up just to have in case I need to make something disappear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott F
rockinbbar,

Mark,

If you are shooting a bolt action 223... you know someone right here that can fill you with all the load data you wanna digest to accomplish what Scott is saying, but doing it with a bolt 223...

Every bullet has a performance envelope... and that can change for specific quarry and desired results....

the key is to have your bullet leaving the barrel within those parameters to accomplish what you need to or desire to...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

They make a WHOLE jackrabbit disappear? I've never seen destruction like that.

We even found more left from squirrels Carolyn shot with a 378 wtby that time, not a lot more but more.

I may have to load some up just to have in case I need to make something disappear.

I had a 25-06 loaded hot (around 3700fps w/ light, hollow points) that would pretty much make a jack rabbit disappear. They did indeed make turtles sunning on a log disappear. whistle

Just smallish chunks hitting the water as they fell back to earth.

It sure wasn't fur-friendly though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Scott F
rockinbbar,

Mark,

If you are shooting a bolt action 223... you know someone right here that can fill you with all the load data you wanna digest to accomplish what Scott is saying, but doing it with a bolt 223...

Every bullet has a performance envelope... and that can change for specific quarry and desired results....

the key is to have your bullet leaving the barrel within those parameters to accomplish what you need to or desire to...

Words of wisdom from the man who really knows how to get the most out of a 223 with the least. I have shot some of Johns light 223 loads and they are what dreams are made of.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've shot rock chucks with my 22-250 with 55gr Varmageddon's. It looked like water balloons exploding. There's just not much left.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,060
Posts18,501,211
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.