Print Thread
Hop To
#11156851 05/01/16
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a Savage 99, that was one of the last ones made with rotating cartage holder, it does not have a round counter. I did not like the stock and purchased new ones, but the fore stock came without a hole. I had trouble drilling it so I asked a gunsmith for help, he put a Popsicle stick under it to make the back part fit better. My question for all you 99 experts is will this have any effect on accuracy. Thanks for your wise answers in advance.
Bob

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Popsicle sticks are for popsicles. Sounds like you need a new smith. On the other hand, are you saying that he used a popsicle stick as a shim because the hole was drilled in the wrong place? If so I'm still thinking you need to find a new smith because there are a lot of better ways to have made a shim. As to the effect on accuracy, shooting it will tell you something and shooting it over time will tell you more. Shoot it and see how it shoots. If good ok. If not back to step one.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Popsicle stick? Holy Smokes man and you guys think I'm a bubba! blush

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/01/16.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heard of using matchsticks to snug up loose buttstock screws. So popsicle sticks for loose forearms?

grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm guessing he used it as a spacer between the receiver and the round inlet on the forearm because he drilled the hole too far back. Disappointing work from a so-called 'smith...

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Reprehensible as popsicle stick usage may be, he may have inadvertently did a good thing by relieving the fore end to receiver contact, although the thickness of the stick is way more than enough. Perhaps too he felt it necessary to close the gap if the back of the fore end wasn't touching the front inner face of the receiver yet the edges of the receiver were touching the outer end of the fore end. (How's that for double-speak?) Only way to know for sure before condemning the smith to Savage hell is to see the gun.

"Put the popsicle stick down and walk away from it with your hands in the air."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There are just too many variables for anyone here to be able to tell you what effect the pop stick will have on how well the rifle shoots. But however well the rifle shoots with the pop stick shim, it is likely it will not be as stable as a shim of epoxy (bedding).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OR next time purchase a set of stocks the the master stockmaker has patterns for and can make you some stocks that bolt on with no fitting or just minimal fitting [tough of sandpaper on inside.

norm

i have such a one,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by norm99
OR next time purchase a set of stocks the the master stockmaker has patterns for and can make you some stocks that bolt on with no fitting or just minimal fitting [tough of sandpaper on inside.

norm

i have such a one,

Does he know he's a kept man Norm? grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by norm99

norm

i have such a one,

Does he know he's a kept man Norm? grin

confused not to sure he WAS the BEST man at my wedding grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Where would should I look to find a drilled fore stock?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ebay and Gunbroker have some show up time to time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seabeesbob
Where would should I look to find a drilled fore stock?

sounds like you have a mod E . did the original stocks have diamond shaped checkering???

but you took the originals off.

does your new rear stk have any checkering?

i have an original fore stk

anser me on a PM just click on my name on the avatar and it will switch you .

norm

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Would be solve my problem if I glass bedded the fore stock ?
Thanks,
Bob

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have had and enjoyed shooting it for a while, but I hated the stock and I see so the beautiful walnut stocks you guys owned and wanted to change. Not knowing how hard it would be to drill a hole. But thanks for the offer,all the Savage guys on the forum or Great!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Seabeesbob
Would be solve my problem if I glass bedded the fore stock ?
Thanks,
Bob

If the problem is the pop stick used to shim the fore end, then epoxy bedding can go a long ways towards stabilizing the POI of the rifle to the vagaries of changing weather.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you want to get down to brass tacks we need to know where the shim is located. I've never seen the exact detail described and was guessing where it might be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
betcha he hogged out the forearm stud hole to much and bridged the hole with said stick.
have seen similar

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The stick is forward of the screw hole about one half an inch is two and a half inches long. He used it lower the fore stock so would align with rear of the action. Without it there a gap. Hope this answers your question. I thing glass beading would be the best thing at this point, do you wise men agree?
Thank,
Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I probably have a forearm for whatever the heck model you have there if you could post a photo it might be helpful.

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,459
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.