Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking for a really good drone to spot game animals with.

Requirements:
1. Long distance remote control range: Would be great if 1 mile or more. This way, I can scout with minimal effort.
2. wide and zoom video camera. Maybe I can just attach a go-pro but would prefer something that has an App that might do a horn/antler scan to predict trophy size
3. Long battery life or hybrid solar to keep it in the air longer. Built in GPS (I think most do?) so that if it breaks down I can drive to get it in my QUAD.
4. Needs to be lightweight. I don't want to carry no 7 pound drone and that requires too much battery juice.

Thoughts?

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check your local regs.

Lot's of new laws out regarding drones. Most states are considering them as aircraft. Manned or unmanned and will not allow hunting unless a 24 hr wait period has been observed.

For me, and this is just my opinion, it does not qualify as fair chase.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Thoughts?

Yeah, you're still a douche.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Illegal down here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
brooksrange,

Some of the guys here sound like some of the guys did when scopes began to be popular.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not legal in Alaska.

One might quibble about "scouting" and "hunting" but the way Alaska's definition of "taking" an animal is written, if you even think of going hunting you have already "taken" an animal.

Don't believe me? It's in the regs under definition of "take". Of course they don't enforce it to that level, but legal-speak-wise they could. And they would definitely apply it to drone use if they could reasonably show it was for hunting purpose in any manner.

YMMV

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thoughts?

Get off your ass and hunt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not in WY they just put out a statement that you cannot use manned or unmanned aircraft, yes they include drones as aircraft, to scout or hunt.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Exactly. It's amazing to see the range of responses - from supporting this position of using drones to outright telling it like it is: It's not fair chase nor should any hunter be called a hunter if they use one.

I simply posted my first thread post to see what reaction I would get from fellow hunters- God forbid that we degenerate to topics about what size drone for big game hunting- that's when I'll call it quits!

No drones, airplanes, any electronics be used IMHO.

Interesting gents.

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Requirements:
1. Long distance remote control range: Would be great if 1 mile or more. This way, I can scout with minimal effort.
2. wide and zoom video camera. Maybe I can just attach a go-pro but would prefer something that has an App that might do a horn/antler scan to predict trophy size
3. Long battery life or hybrid solar to keep it in the air longer. Built in GPS (I think most do?) so that if it breaks down I can drive to get it in my QUAD.
4. Needs to be lightweight. I don't want to carry no 7 pound drone and that requires too much battery juice.

Thoughts?

I hear some of the remotes are really tough on the hands. You might want to make sure you have a couple pair of gloves to prevent blisters.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think someone is getting a boil going in the corner;)ziinnnggg! Fish on!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly. It's amazing to see the range of responses - from supporting this position of using drones to outright telling it like it is: It's not fair chase nor should any hunter be called a hunter if they use one.

I simply posted my first thread post to see what reaction I would get from fellow hunters- God forbid that we degenerate to topics about what size drone for big game hunting- that's when I'll call it quits!

Interesting gents.

I'm glad you can admit to being a troll, but wouldn't it be better if you weren't one at all? Surely you have better places to troll than the campfire.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I'm glad you can admit to being a troll, but wouldn't it be better if you weren't one at all? Surely you have better places to troll than the campfire.

Yea, go seagull the IBS forums!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest one that is bulletproof. 😉

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Requirements:

Thoughts?

Troll

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Owl
Check your local regs.

Lot's of new laws out regarding drones. Most states are considering them as aircraft. Manned or unmanned and will not allow hunting unless a 24 hr wait period has been observed.

For me, and this is just my opinion, it does not qualify as fair chase.

Idaho is one of these. You can't hunt on the same day you've flown. They recently added the phrase 'manned or unmaned' to the wording so that includes drones.

Still...elk will often move out of the timber to open areas at dusk to feed. Quite often they'll still be there in the morning. Locating them with a drone in the evening could give a hunter a big advantage the next morning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting gents.

Ok, not a clown, just a troll...

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/04/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At the sake of being called a "troll" tell me how this differs from having your cell phone "hooked" to your trail cam. You can see game in real time with this system.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
brooksrange,

Some of the guys here sound like some of the guys did when scopes began to be popular.

OP went trolling and you bit...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.