Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Quiet morning, wind wise,.....
Here's a look at the tooling that had to be put together for this particular task

[Linked Image]

30 Carbon steel double ended Merchant Couplings to turn into 15.
They "pickled" all night in Strong "Purple Power" and once rinsed this AM, dried with a torch,....stink of cutting oil GONE.
The Jig is up, and it's really up to the wind now whether I Fusion TIG em, or MIG em' .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They'll get pickled again after welding, and than painted with Rustoleum Painter's Choice.

Waiting on the pipe threader to blow in,....busy place, this.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm damned sure glad you work for the forces of good and not evil! laugh

Still in awe of your skills, Greg.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking Good Greg.

When you get it up and running, throw a few cannon shots off too. That will really have your neighbors thinking... then again, maybe not ? grin

Place does not look the same. You need you set out a few bales, and set up your water bed headboard bar.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lathe I borrowed yesterday was filthy,....so I soaked the lift pipes I'd pushed through it's spindle bore overnight, and scrubbed the beJesus outta' em' this AM early.
[Linked Image]
Wind WAS up, so TIG was not an option,....Blorped hot MIG at squared up and prepped couplings instead.
[Linked Image]
Pickled em' in PP again,...Mig / anti spat spray I'm using
is water soluable
[Linked Image]

Back in 5

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Painted em' with some stuff kids can eat off their cribs,even in Californicatia
[Linked Image]
This old pipe vice likely heard the gunfire from the OK Corral disagreement in general principals, and etiquette. Bought it at an estate sale in Benson, many a year back, along with a kinda' creepy embalming table.
It certainly needs a bushing or two, before tackling anything bigger than 1" PVC
[Linked Image]
The doubled up Merchant Couplings are fitting up as planned, and putting the individual pipe joints really close to original length.
I gave up on "tidy" masking after doing it once. WTF is gonna' SEE the damn things,....and the water won't care, will it?
[Linked Image]
Thanks "CJ", over at KBC Tools in Fullerton Cal. This dead nutsy Polish 1" NPS die nut showed up right at Noon ( the overnight freight costing more than it's VERY reasonable price.) By 4:00, after a quick lunch, and some unrelated chores I'd thrown together this holder, and was shaving the Original male NPT ends down to a good stronger NPS.
This particular die puts a really nice coned shoulder on the completed cut, which engaged the spec, cone in the couplers well.
[Linked Image]
Tomorrow AM, a friend's bringing over a Rigid threader, and we'll thread the ends where the original female bells were cut off in McNasty Lathe.

I'm bushed,
....later.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/04/16.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like you got it whupped, Greg! smile

I've seen a few wells ruined because the pipe was dropped when it broke at the couplings. Mostly deep wells. Taint no fun trying to fish either.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.