Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
chamois,

Interlocks usually shoot very well, in fact I often use them as a "starter" bullet for working up loads with more expensive bullets of the same weight and diameter. If flat-based Interlocks won't group at least decently, I know there's something wrong with the rifle that needs fixing before wasting some more expensive bullets. And if the Interlocks shoot well, and the expensive bullets don't with the same powder, then there's something wrong with the more expensive bullets.

Plus, with an Interlock load worked up, I have a great source of ammo for sighting-in and most hunting. There are few big game animals on earth so large that the right Interlock wouldn't be a good choice.

I specifically mentioned flat-based Interlocks only because some rifles don't like boattails. But have used plenty of BTSP Interlocks as well.

This mirrors my thoughts on the subject.

Interlocks are where I start when I'm trying to 'learn' a rifle.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great bullets and accurate and some, like their 100gr Flat Base kill and hold together even at 257 Weatherby velocities. That said, I had one come almost unglued on an impala at 80 yards shot on point of shoulder. Yes the animal dropped like a sack, BUT a 180gr bullet should have punched through a diminutive impala. Lesson learned is what if that would have been say, an eland shot in the same spot. From then on, my criteria is 2700 fps & below. J

FWIW, they're cup and cores. I've seen 270 and 300 Interlocks in the 375 come apart as well. They aren't as universal as stuff costing twice as much, but they do shoot very well, and they work quite well most of the time.

C
chamois Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My question had to do with their accuracy potential.

I am not worried about their performance, which I consider isnjust a matter of matching bullet weigh and velocity, to the animal you are after.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't think they were Interlocks until about 1977.

I went back to my 1967/1968 Hornady reloading manual. Page 32 top of the page it stars that the hunting bullets have a cannelure to help retain the core.
Mathman may be right 1977 may be the date. I was wrong!

I don't think I have any of those old Hornady bullets left. My first manuals were Lyman and Speer. The Lyman manual was great the Speer manual was hot.

Those old bullets looked a lot like the Interlocks. Back in those days (60's) I experimented with a lot of different bullets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hornady bullets have very accurate for me in several calibers. I have shot more Hornady bullets than all other brands combined. The only caliber where I reach for something other than a Hornady is the .243 and there I load the Nosler 95 BT. I used to shoot Hornady 100 grain flat base bullets, but they are discontinued so the Nosler takes its place.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are one of the best cheap bullets you can shoot big game with! I had a 7mm Weatherby Mag in a Weatherby MK V that I bought because the guy that had it said it didn't shoot to well, it also came with 10 boxes of ammo 139 gr Hornaday SP! All I did to that rifle was to make sure the floor screws were tight and the scope mounts tight! A long story short, I got good groups around 1.25 inches at 200 yards! That rifle shot very well with that load and the other loads I fed it!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elvis
I have found the Hornady Interlock to be just as accurate as Sierras in a whole bunch of my rifles. The 100gn .257 IL has been the most consistently accurate bullet in four .25 cal rifles (.250 Savage, 2 x .257 Roberts, .25-06). Others are the .264 129gn, 7mm 139gn, .308 150gn and 165gn Interlocks. All flat bases. Hornady Flat Base Interlocks are my favourite standard cup & core bullet.

This .........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
They have always shot very good for me. Not match grade accuracy, but really good. They have worked for me on game just fine as well....zero complaints.

Pretty much the same way I see it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Internet wisdom (oxymoron there) suggests that secant ogives, such as Hornaday have, are more critical seating depth and generally do not shoot as well away from the lands. Have those that use Hornadays regularly found this to be the case?

Thanks.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IME, not especially.

I use Hornady Spire Points almost exclusively across multiple calibers and have often found the best accuracy at .030" or .040" off the lands. I don't know if that qualifies as being a long way off the lands, but I once had a .243 that was so worn a Hornady 100 gr. SP seated to touch the lands wasn't even inside the case. They still shot sub-MOA groups seated some couple of tenths off the lands. The two Remington M700 .308's I've owned had very long throats. Seating the Hornady 150 SP to fit in the magazine left them some .070" off the lands but even seated that far back they were still very accurate.

Can't say that the Spire Points are less critical about seating distance than others because I've never used other brands all that much, just that in the rifles I've used kissing the lands wasn't critical to best accuracy.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tcp
Internet wisdom (oxymoron there) suggests that secant ogives, such as Hornaday have, are more critical seating depth and generally do not shoot as well away from the lands. Have those that use Hornadays regularly found this to be the case?

Thanks.

I always run mine .020" off the lands... They shoot excellent and consistent.. Nuff said...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tcp

Thanks.

I like Interlocks for the very reason that you can get decent accuracy without all the fiddling that some seem to need.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interlocks, one of the most consistently accurate topics on the 'Fire. grin
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Spire Point Interlock is also where I start when accuracy testing. I like the cannelure, something the also-accurate Sierras don't offer. They have been some of the most consistently accurate bullets in several rifles. They are fine hunting bullets at reasonable impact velocities.

My only gripe is that now Hornady is doing away with some of them. Like the 100 grain .257...really??

Chris
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chamois
My question had to do with their accuracy potential.

I am not worried about their performance, which I consider isnjust a matter of matching bullet weigh and velocity, to the animal you are after.

What is your guidelines for accuracy? They shoot like match bullets for me-but I am a hunter and not a paper puncher. I have shot lots of sub-half-moa groups with them over the years.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sbhooper
...I just sighted in a Savage .308 that I bought from Makaira. The last three, two-shot groups with 150s that I fired were from .36-.65 at 200 yards.

Would you mind sharing the load data? I am loading for two Savage 10PC rifles in .308. Mine loves 44.0gr of IMR-4064, but my son's doesn't like that or anything to do with IMR-4064 and I'm still looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
In .308, I load 44gr RL15 behind 165-168gr bullets, 46gr behind 150s. Almost all my hunting rifles get Hornady bullets. I may or may not give up .2-.3" in 100yd. groups but, so what. Deer can't tell the difference.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have never seen an Interlock that any of my rifles didn't like.... They are great bullets for the money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only spire point I have much experience with is the 139 fb in 2 different 7-08s. They're accurate in both guns and have killed the deer and hogs I've shot quickly. I also shot several hogs with the 140 Accubond and couldn't tell a nickle's worth of difference between the 2. That, by the way, was meant as a compliment.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I started reloading in the late 60's to get more shots per dollar than factory fodder.

Small town and a small LGS that did not order or keep all in stock. It may be Speer one time, Sierra and Hornady later.

At first I loaded for 222, 22-250, 270 and 308. I bagged lots of deer and felt Hornady and Sierra gave good results with the 270, 308 and Speer gave more accuracy in the little ones.

Later in life I started using hot core and what the writers were pushing, Nosler partitions. I did not see deer dying any differently. By then I was also loading and shooting a lot of 264 mag, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win and WBY, 338 Win and 340 WBY along with the 375 H&H.

I was not a bench rest guy but did lots of shooting from the bench. At some point I felt the premium bullets did not offer a benefit for non dangerous game and pretty much went back to Hornady and Sierra.

I also use Win silvertip and REM core lokt in 270, both 130 grain. I have a lifetime of 270 WBY velocity loads in 130 grain and I'd have to check buy I think they may be Speer. I bought lots of ammo from an LGS that dropped reloading. If not pennies on the dollar it may have been a dime on the dollar prices wise. And I should have bought more pistol ammo.

I have a life time of deer hunting with the Nosler Partition in 150 gr in 270 but I feel a 150 is not needed for a whitetail or mule deer.

Hornady always did and still does give me excellent accuracy. If I had a large wood shotshell box full of Hornady in various calibers I would not feel slighted. And interlock would be the exact one I want.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,922
Posts18,498,484
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.