Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
At some point you've gotta decide that you have "enough".

To say that I'm safe with a 1911 carrying 8+1, but that I'm crazy for just carrying to mag capacity of 15 just doesn't make sense.

I hear what your saying

I guess my philosophy is that I've always carried full capacity no matter what I was csrrying, probably more of how we were trained

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never. Just chamber the first round and go from there. It's a pain in the arse to try to keep track of a single round.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How is it that a feller needs to keep track of that extra round often enough that it's a pain in the rear? Are you unloading and loading daily?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
How is it that a feller needs to keep track of that extra round often enough that it's a pain in the rear? Are you unloading and loading daily?
Yes. Chambered when I carry, condition 3 at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Too much manipulation for my taste.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Exactly

Get a pistol safe and stowe it loaded.

As far as the "keeping track of the single round,on the range

I've never even given it a thought. Drop my carry mags and +1 in a pouch on my range bag and start loading practice rounds

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lobo80
I'm always loaded to maximum capacity

flave is that you?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Exactly

I've never even given it a thought. Drop my carry mags and +1 in a pouch on my range bag and start loading practice rounds

Well you guys just do it your way, I'll do it my way. I dry fire practice pretty much every night, so the manipulation is gonna happen either way. Been doing it this way for 30 years, not about to change because it doesn't work for you.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Something quite like this....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
At some point you've gotta decide that you have "enough".

To say that I'm safe with a 1911 carrying 8+1, but that I'm crazy for just carrying to mag capacity of 15 just doesn't make sense.

Finally some sense! laugh

That's why I asked if they carried smaller pistols...

You all have convinced me, though...to keep on doing it my way! grin

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Exactly

Well you guys just do it your way, I'll do it my way. I dry fire practice pretty much every night, so the manipulation is gonna happen either way. Been doing it this way for 30 years, not about to change because it doesn't work for you.

I certainly don't think you should change. I used to do much the same, but at some point I got uncomfortable with the daily loading/unloading. Part of the issue for me has to do with my lack of routine sleep schedule. Part of it waa I was going through more factory ammo than I cared to (since I usually tossed the chamber round in the range ammo bucket). I prefer to use a gun I am not currently carrying but has the same trigger system for routine dry-fire practice. I know that I have to practice more care than some to avoid accidents. Witness, my hand. I shouldn't have just thrown that out there with no explanation.

Mojo - nothing crazy about it. You do what is right for you.

Last edited by FreeMe; 05/05/16.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I certainly don't think you should change. I used to do much the same, but at some point I got uncomfortable with the daily loading/unloading. Part of the issue for me has to do with my lack of routine sleep schedule. Part of it waa I was going through more factory ammo than I cared to (since I usually tossed the chamber round in the range ammo bucket). I prefer to use a gun I am not currently carrying but has the same trigger system for routine dry-fire practice. I know that I have to practice more care than some to avoid accidents. Witness, my hand. I shouldn't have just thrown that out there with no explanation.

Mojo - nothing crazy about it. You do what is right for you.

Makes sense. I like the daily manipulation of my handguns; keeps me frosty.

I developed some habits from being a bodyguard that I can't seem to shake even though such habits really make no sense anymore. The habit of frequently swapping carry guns. I did that when I was doing EP because it wasn't uncommon that I would find myself boarding a plane in the middle of the day, having to leave my carry gun behind, then getting a loaner on the other side; and God knows what that will be.

So I always trained with as many different guns as I could get my hands on so I was proficient in the manual of arms for pretty much everything. Now it has just become habit. I kinda like the challenge at the range of someone tossing a gun in my holster and in the time it takes for me to clear leather and present, see if I can figure out which gun I'm pulling; and will I get it right and make it go bang.

These days I have 6 handguns that I swap between...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone but me (and even doesn't make much sense to me), but it's a "skill" I attained at the cost of a LOT of practice, and I kinda don't want to lose it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This question is kind of like asking if you fill your gas tank all the way up, or do you always like to leave it a few gallons short just for the heck of it.

The gun is loaded so you have to manipulate it anyway to unload before dry firing. The only downside is you have to deal with the Barney bullet. Since my clothing all has pockets, I haven't seen that as much of an issue.

The only reason I see to not go +1 is due to owning a gun that is unreliable in some way when fully loaded, or if the magazine is essentially impossible to seat when fully loaded. Other than that, I see no real persuasive argument against it, but it doesn't bother me when other people do it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Always. Why anyone would do otherwise is beyond me.

Yep.

Condition 1 with a 1911 too.

Last edited by 1Nut; 05/06/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With my LW Commander, if I carry +1 I get mag rattle pretty bad. I don't get that with my 9mm or .38 Super 1911's. Happens with ACT, McCormick, or Wilson magazines. Not sure why I'm so "lucky" with that and this gun, but it is what it is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Always. Why anyone would do otherwise is beyond me.

Yep.

Condition 1 with a 1911 too.
I think you're not getting the question. I assume all of us (save one, anyway) are carrying condition one. The question relates to the magazine once condition one is arranged, i.e., topped off after racking, or leave it alone.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Well I was carrying this but it was tricky to conceal...

(P.S. I didn't carry it +6 either!)

[Linked Image]

That setup would get ya about halfway through a set at an Okleehoma redneck bar there Mojo-music man. grin

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use Taurus G2 Milenium 9MM. It has a nice little safety provision in the Trigger, seperate from the Manual safety on the Frame. This supposedly will not allow the pistol to fire when dropped. I am not going to try it, but it makes sense to me, since I was always taught to keep a round in the Chamber when carrying. It might be too late to have to chamber a round in a bad situation. I don't load the maximum capacity. but just chamber the top round, leaving the mag one short. But my G2 has a 10 round mag, so that's enough for me.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Always carry fully loaded. This may not be quite so important if you are talking about a 15 round or so capacity weapon, but with a 6 or 7 round magazine, each asset has a higher degree of importance.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.