-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No sex with women while on their period either.

LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Acually,

The further you read the less cohesive and sensical it becomes...

Interesting to see the dispensationalists show up tho....

(Darby and Schofield would be proud!) smile

Last edited by MojoHand; 05/05/16.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hebrews 10:9

"then He said, 'Behold, I have come to do Your will.' He takes away the first in order to establish the second."

The old law is gone!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Gets pretty flippin' monotonous too readin' about all of the different kinda burnt offerings and sin offerings and grain offerings and peace offerings and trespass offerings...and what kinda birds or animals to sacrifice for each of the different ones...or what kinda fruits of the field to offer up for each of the different ones. Imagine how hard it'd be tryin' to 'live' according to over 600 of those 'laws' or rules. Dang.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ringman

The old law is gone!

Not quite.

Heb 10:9 is about how atonement of sin changed post JC.

OT sin is still sin today.

To believe otherwise would imply that God's view of sin is changeable.

No lobster broiled with bacon for you.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
Hebrews 10:9

"then He said, 'Behold, I have come to do Your will.' He takes away the first in order to establish the second."

The old law is gone!
It's gone for the gentiles and it's gone for the Jews. Jesus fulfilled it. The hard headed Jews still try to follow it but it doesn't work for them today any better than it did before Jesus came.

Here's one example of what the Jews have done with the Law. There is a rule in the law that says that they are not to boil a kid in it's own mother's milk. That was a fertility ritual performed by some of the pagans in the Middle East at the time that the Hebrews were in the desert. God simply wanted them to avoid pagan rituals.
So, what do the Jews do? They had to out think God. They completely ignored the pagan ritual part of it and just thought about the milk and the meat as food items. First they expanded it from a kid and it's own mother's milk to all meat and all milk. Then they decided to prohibit using the same vessels to cook meat and milk in case there was residue left in the pots. Then the expanded that to prohibit eating milk and meat at the same meal so they wouldn't mix in the stomach. It grew and grew, one rule after another.
It's still with us today. Modern Kosher Jews actually have 2 separate kitchens, one for foods with meat and one for foods with milk. They don't use both kitchens for the same meal. They make sure the two don't mix.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I shave my head and face. Guess Hell is all I have to look forward to.

Except Christ's death and resurrection fulfilled the OT Law and we are now under the new covenant.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Steelhead
In short, following all those old laws were really cramping a lot of folks styles.

Shazam, enter the immaculate conception, believe in that kid and you ain't got to worry about all those troublesome laws.

This is a common misconception. The immaculate conception wasn't about Jesus and it's not in the Bible. It's a Catholic invention that says that Mary was born without sin. Protestants don't believe in it.

Oh so...at least some of Christianity is just made up?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by carbon12
Many of the OT laws are related to food and health. In the time of Moses, meat was often eaten raw or poorly cooked. Pigs were allowed to run loose and human hygiene was very poor. Pigs carried diseases and were dangerous to eat. When God declared them as unclean, he wasn't kidding.

There were a lot of dangerous things to eat. How come they were not all sins?

Did pigs become safer to eat immediately after the death of Jesus?

Pork was eaten safely by those surrounding the Jews. This had more to do with creating in groups and out groups than any actual food safety concerns.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Big picture for those who do not know.

Old Testament = Atonement for sin is LAW.

New Testament = Jesus died on the cross and fulfilled the law with the New Covenant and we are not under the Law.

So God's laws is dependent on what time it is?

Exactly! As far as it relates to atonement for sin. Before Jesus and after Jesus.

Except Mathew says the law persists until heaven and earth pass:

5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke agrees:

It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. Luke 16:17

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I am confused. Am I supposed to stone the homos or love them? If I'm supposed to love them, please be specific on how much to love them? Details are important....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

New Testament = Jesus died on the cross and fulfilled the law with the New Covenant and we are not under the Law.

Exactly! As far as it relates to atonement for sin. Before Jesus and after Jesus.

5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke agrees:

It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. Luke 16:17

So, AS, you think you know what these verses pertain to. Maybe you do and maybe you don't. Care to explain the context of the verses and provide explanatory comment on Moral Law, Ceremonial Law and Civil Law?

What do you think Jesus was referring to?

Nah, you can't do more than ignorant quip.

Shallow waters indeed.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Acually,

Interesting to see the dispensationalists show up tho....

(Darby and Schofield would be proud!) smile

Just for the record, I am not a Dispensationalist.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

For me, that scripture makes it very clear. All or nothing. Is there any argument from any denomination/religion that the the sacrificial system is still in effect?

Every word of the law will be in effect "till all be fufilled"

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.(Romans 10:4)

So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.(Galatians 3:24-25)

..by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances… (Ephesians 2:15)

And to be clear, I am not trying to argue or convince you of anything. I'm just saying what I believe. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TF49, I said "big picture". But if one would like to dig deeper, this website is an excellent start.

http://www.gotquestions.org/ceremonial-law.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
In short, following all those old laws were really cramping a lot of folks styles.

Shazam, enter the immaculate conception, believe in that kid and you ain't got to worry about all those troublesome laws.

This is a common misconception. The immaculate conception wasn't about Jesus and it's not in the Bible. It's a Catholic invention that says that Mary was born without sin. Protestants don't believe in it.

Oh so...at least some of Christianity is just made up?
That isn't Christianity. It's not in the Bible at all.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Not exactly. It depends on what covenant you are living under. Nothing is stopping you from living under the Mosaic law in 2016. I don't recommend it because it puts you under a curse...see the 28th chapter of Deuteronomy. I also don't recommend attempting to mix the old and new as 99% of the denominations do today.

People tend to say that Jesus' death on the cross fulfilled the law but it is more accurate to say that it was his death AND resurrection from the dead. Without his resurrection the old covenant would have still been in force. In Galatians, Paul uses the example of marriage saying that a person who marries someone else while their spouse is still living commits adultery but someone whose spouse is dead is free to marry again. That marriage covenant and its LAW ends upon the death of one of the parties. Christ fulfilled the old covenant law first by keeping its rules during his life and then taking the death penalty for those that break it (everyone). Being resurrected, he is no longer under any obligation to the old covenant's law, just as a widow is no longer obligated to remain single.

In the born again experience believers both die and are resurrected with him on the spiritual level and like him our obligation to the law ceases. When Paul speaks of these things, most think it is an allegory but in reality it is an accurate depiction of what happens to the spirit of a believer.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
when you look at the Levitical laws in the Bible and the things that are prohibited you have to understand why those things that were prohibited were picked.
Throughout Leviticus, the Bible very often uses the phrase "because I am the Lord your God" after listing some practice that was prohibited.
Why?
Because a huge number of those things that God prohibited were practiced by the idol worshipers that were in the land in their ceremonial worship of their gods. God wanted to purge them from trusting in superstition, idolatry, witchcraft, etc and trust in Him alone. Also, He desired for His followers to not even look like idol worshipers so as to rid themselves of the appearance of evil.

Why forbid boiling a baby goat in its mother's milk? was practiced by Canaanites fertility worship practices.

There are many other examples of these practices that were forbidden and some no longer are known, I suppose.

But the gist of Leviticus is God saying "If you're going to call yourself a child of mine and reap the benefits of being my child, then you will look, dress, and behave like a child of mine should.
things are no different today. It's not really about legalism to the Law, it is about loyalty to God. Ranchers and farmers boiling their goats in its mother's milk is not really a worship practice of people wanting to increase their herd's fertility in today's world, so it's not an issue anymore.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

For me, that scripture makes it very clear. All or nothing. Is there any argument from any denomination/religion that the the sacrificial system is still in effect?

Every word of the law will be in effect "till all be fufilled"

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.(Romans 10:4)

So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.(Galatians 3:24-25)

..by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances… (Ephesians 2:15)

And to be clear, I am not trying to argue or convince you of anything. I'm just saying what I believe. grin

There's actually at least a dozen verses that say the law is forever and another dozen they say it is not. Even Paul (or authors claiming to be him) wrote verses supporting both sides of the position. Just another contradiction showing the man made origins of Christianity.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rphguy
when you look at the Levitical laws in the Bible and the things that are prohibited you have to understand why those things that were prohibited were picked.
Throughout Leviticus, the Bible very often uses the phrase "because I am the Lord your God" after listing some practice that was prohibited.
Why?
Because a huge number of those things that God prohibited were practiced by the idol worshipers that were in the land in their ceremonial worship of their gods. God wanted to purge them from trusting in superstition, idolatry, witchcraft, etc and trust in Him alone. Also, He desired for His followers to not even look like idol worshipers so as to rid themselves of the appearance of evil.

Why forbid boiling a baby goat in its mother's milk? was practiced by Canaanites fertility worship practices.

There are many other examples of these practices that were forbidden and some no longer are known, I suppose.

But the gist of Leviticus is God saying "If you're going to call yourself a child of mine and reap the benefits of being my child, then you will look, dress, and behave like a child of mine should.
things are no different today. It's not really about legalism to the Law, it is about loyalty to God. Ranchers and farmers boiling their goats in its mother's milk is not really a worship practice of people wanting to increase their herd's fertility in today's world, so it's not an issue anymore.
Non-believers usually criticize God for killing off these pagans. However, He gave them every chance to change. 500 years earlier, God told Abraham that 'the sin of the Amorites (Canaanites) was not yet full'. God gave them the next 500 years to clean it up before he sent the Israelites to destroy them. 1000 years later God did the same thing to the Israelites. He warned them for centuries to get rid of the false gods. They didn't and God sent the Babylonians to destroy them.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.