-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far, knock on wood, this has been an above average year for berries. If it rains another time or two, the blackberries will be good. If it drys up, they will be like Miles said.

Usually, one or two fruits make enough to pick, each spring. You never know what will make and what wont. This year, everything seems to be making (not sure about mulberries, yet). Not in great numbers, but plenty enough to go gather some for pies and jellies.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never been around Pawpaws, any of you?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Nothing like picking a bowl full before breakfast. Go down to the spring house and ladle a measure of cream right off the top of the can to cover them and dig in.
Today's generations will never experience that

Can't say I've ever done the milk/cream off/out of the can.

But I can say that when our "commercial" dewberries start to ripen there is always a container of cream in the fridge...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Small Blackberries.

Ed

Ed, what we call a dew berry is a lot larger than what we call blackberries. We may be talking about different fruits, I'm not sure.

Dew berries grow on runners on the ground. They may be a foot off the ground, but not much more.

Black berries grow on stems that will reach 5 or 6 feet tall.

Dunno, what we call dewberries climb up fences, posts, corrals and so on... usually not more than 2-3 feet though.

But what I call blackberries the big commercially bred kind we planted in the garden and that will climb 5 feet or so, those are labeled by plant as a Texas something dewberry..

Pretty much all the same...

Wish raspberries would grow here or blueberries....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Will have to google as I"ve never heard the word until this thread.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pawpaws are native here, but you seldom find any fruit. Wild critters will beat you to them. Wild Hazelnuts the same way. I don't think that I have ever found any ripe fruit. I have seen plenty of green, but no ripe. Found in the creek bottoms and more common in South Arkansas, it seems. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Small Blackberries.

Ed

Ed, what we call a dew berry is a lot larger than what we call blackberries. We may be talking about different fruits, I'm not sure.

Dew berries grow on runners on the ground. They may be a foot off the ground, but not much more.

Black berries grow on stems that will reach 5 or 6 feet tall.

Dunno, what we call dewberries climb up fences, posts, corrals and so on... usually not more than 2-3 feet though.

But what I call blackberries the big commercially bred kind we planted in the garden and that will climb 5 feet or so, those are labeled by plant as a Texas something dewberry..

Pretty much all the same...

Wish raspberries would grow here or blueberries....

Those grow wild too. Seems like I would always encounter a thicket of those SOB's when I chose to wear shorts to survey in... whistle mad

You can work (and cut) yourself to death with a machete through a strong stand of those...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have several PawPaw patches in Tennessee, where i hunt. As mentioned earlier though, you have to be fast to beat the critters. We try to get them a little green and put inside to ripen. Not best but only way to get any. As for berries, we only have a few dewberries but acres and acres of blackberries. Yum, Yum. 4th of July is usually when we pick them.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We've been picking a few dewberries but might be a little late. I heard a rumor about a cobbler a couple days ago!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What we called dewberries were like blackberries but were big like the end of your thumb.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
What we called dewberries were like blackberries but were big like the end of your thumb.

^^^ This

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My wife makes wine out of dew berries.June 3rd last year.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

^^^ This

Must be a local thing...LOL. The bigger teh more we called blackberries, the smaller the more we called dewberries.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Small Blackberries.Ed

Ed, what we call a dew berry is a lot larger than what we call blackberries. We may be talking about different fruits, I'm not sure.Dew berries grow on runners on the ground. They may be a foot off the ground, but not much more. Black berries grow on stems that will reach 5 or 6 feet tall.

Gotcha. We're talking about the same plants.

The dewberries here tend to run a little smaller than the blackberries. We also have a small wild blackberry variety here that comes ripe in early May that folks call "Mayberries".
Mayberries are the first to ripen, then the Dewberries, then the Blackberries.
There's going to be a ton of Blackberries this year!

The plum trees are covered in fruit, too. Looks like I may have to prop some branches up to keep them from breaking. Tough problem to have, eh? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

We still have some here in Northwest AR. One of the older locals in your area can probably point you in the direction of a patch or two. They have a short shelf life so when you find a ripe one you need to eat it fairly quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Small Blackberries.Ed

Ed, what we call a dew berry is a lot larger than what we call blackberries. We may be talking about different fruits, I'm not sure.Dew berries grow on runners on the ground. They may be a foot off the ground, but not much more. Black berries grow on stems that will reach 5 or 6 feet tall.

Gotcha. We're talking about the same plants.

The dewberries here tend to run a little smaller than the blackberries. We also have a small wild blackberry variety here that comes ripe in early May that folks call "Mayberries".
Mayberries are the first to ripen, then the Dewberries, then the Blackberries.
There's going to be a ton of Blackberries this year!

The plum trees are covered in fruit, too. Looks like I may have to prop some branches up to keep them from breaking. Tough problem to have, eh? grin

Ed

I wish I had a few good plum trees, I love them.

We dont have the 'Mayberries', or at least I've never seen any. Where I live the dew berries will be almost as big as the end of you thumb, and the blackberries about half that size. Dew berries are usually sweeter, also.

Wife must have picked dewberries again today, she's not here, but there is another half gallon in the kitchen.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by milespatton
Pawpaws are native here, but you seldom find any fruit. Wild critters will beat you to them. Wild Hazelnuts the same way. I don't think that I have ever found any ripe fruit. I have seen plenty of green, but no ripe. Found in the creek bottoms and more common in South Arkansas, it seems. miles

Same situation here miles. This March I planted 50 Paw Paw trees and fifty hazelnut bushes in two location of 25 each. Hope they make it through the summer. Also put out 50 Pecan trees, 25 Holly and 25 Cypress. They were from 12 to 18" tall. Was a lot easier ordering them than planting them.

I won't be around to enjoy them but children and grandchildren will if they keep the farm after I am gone. Paw Paw's are pretty pungent to eat but like the novelty of them. Dewberries, blackberries, gooseberries, wild plums,wild grapes, along with fish,rabbits,squirrels,quail and any other critter that was eatable were staples for us growing up. Folks raised eleven children and we relied on the above plus large gardens. Couple of milk cows, chickens and pork in the smokehouse and we were never hungry.

Would seem a hard way of life to some but a way of life that I sure miss. Three of us left now and all of questionable health. Dad always said he didn't do bad as none of us had to serve any hard time. smile GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
303, that's about the same thing I'm going to do on our place. I am growing from seed, 33 black walnut trees, gonna buy 8 pecan, buy 8 chestnut, and grow from acorns 30 or so sawtooth oaks. We will plant all but the sawtooths next winter. Also planting 40 or so acres of pines. I wont get much good from any of it, but the kids will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father used to live near Pensacola and dewberries grew in the white sand of the vacant lots next to his yard. Pretty good, just like blackberries.

We have paw paws in the woods around here, but like someone said, you gotta be quick to get any. When they're thick, the woods reek with the smell of the fermenting fruit on the ground. They're an acquired taste, similar to bananas, but the texture is a little strange.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

They are all over the cliff line below my mom and dad's house.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.