Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But not me.

Why certain rifles prefer deeper seated bullets. Makes no sense to me, but it happens. Can't explain it but will listen to any and all theories.

I seldom actually load into the lands, but accuracy wise that is more logical than deeper seating.

I thought that bullet profile might make a diff, but apparently not in this particular rifle. Both the Ballistic Yip and the Amax do well seated quite deep, by my standards.

The Amax is rough on groundhogs...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by johnw

I thought that bullet profile might make a diff, but apparently not in this particular rifle. Both the /< Ballistic Yip \>and the Amax do well seated quite deep, by my standards.

I guess I've missed the Ballistic --YIP-- bullets . laugh
Are they better than the Ballistic Tips ? whistle

Seriously now, I've seated bullets near the lands and SHORT because of mag restrictions.

When I have a new to me rifle and have no idea 'where' to start, I often use Factory COAL. It's surprising how factory ammo CAN be accurate in many diff rifles. They must NO something. <G>

After Factory COAL, if I'm looking for better accuracy I seat OUT farther if possible.

At times it's simply T & E.

Good Luck

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/10/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barnes at the front of the first driving band have always done well across multiple chamberings/rigs for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I by default try to get them .010 from the lands, if possible within mag length.

When that doesn't work, I might try a few around 0.030. I've never ever found going any further off the lands does any better. They mightn't be much worse, but never better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My understanding is it has to do with the bullet ogive design, tangent vs. secant, and the individual chamber. Some bullets, like the Sierra Matchking, prefer a jump whereas something like a Berger VLD or JLK often do best in the lands.

I always start load testing by loading the bullet either .020" off the lands, one caliber depth into the case, or max mag length, depending on the bullet and rifle. Once I find a good flat node at the right charge weight, I check seating depth .010" in each direction to see if groups tighten up. Rarely is any load development required after that unless you don't get the accuracy or velocity you were wanting.

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/10/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go Stick mode; kiss, pressure, rock on. Starting with a kiss at your maximum safe charge only leaves 2 directions to go instead of four.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not reload for fun and relaxation, but because of need. Two observations.

Factory ammo shoots better than it used to. I have had outstanding results from selected Hornaday and Federal loadings.

Factory ammo rarely touches the lands.

My loading is based upon necessity and need. Necessity for .218 Bee and .219 Zipper. Need for the right bullet at the right price for several offerings. Although ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt, premium ammo is pricey. I tend to settle for good enough. I usually get reasonabally good groups without going to the lands. Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking forward to trying the new ELD-X 7RM loads from Hornady. If they go sub MOA it could change things.

Reloading is like watching paint dry for me anymore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.